Author Topic: Zero Gear: Freemium PC Multiplayer Kart Racing!  (Read 3842 times)

Offline megadokyo

• Everybody gets one.
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Ima ween!
    • HyperDuck SoundWorks
Zero Gear: Freemium PC Multiplayer Kart Racing!
« on: November 08, 2009, 12:53:01 pm »
http://myzerogear.com/

Alright, so it's half geniune interest and love for this little game (i'm a beta tester) and half "well we wrote all the music in the game". But both are valid standpoints for plugging this piece here!

It's an Indie game, so only three guys working on this. And it's become extremely polished and near ready for release, it'll be released on Steam as well, and as soon as it is I will announce it here so I can play it with some EU players! Since the USA servers are painful to play on, sometimes.

Theres lots of game modes like tag, which you hold onto a tag arrow and it gives you points the longer you have it, but then itll randomly flip reverse and the person holding the arrow will want to get rid of it since it deducts points at quite a rate!

Racing, which is filled with lots of weaps and long tracks, this is a serious amount of fun since there is a weapon that can be used in all game modes called luvbot and another which is like a push away forcefield, so when you activate it it shoves people away from you. The luvbot is programmed to love and will chase you at high frightening speeds to catch you and love you. It's brilliant, and horrifying.

Hockey/Football: massive ball/puck in the middle, you gotta kart that bad boy into the other teams net, and throughout all this weapons are involved as well, it's brilliant.

Final game mode: Chute shoot: it's like pinball for karts, you all get full boost and a big run up into this pinball esque thing with holes, each hole is randomly set with points and you gotta get your kart into one to get the max amount of points, but the holes will keep changing everytime. (in fact it's more like that basketball game where you gotta get it into the furthest hole, it's awesome anyway)

There is also bots which know how to race, use weapons, and do all these game modes as well.

I don't have the best export of the menu theme on the http://www.hyperduck.co.uk website atm but it's a decent quality export to give you an idea of the music. Any kart game that is gonna be made with a quirky style will be related to mario kart in some way, but this game is gonna be freemium, and has miles more potential than mario kart, with proper servers coming so you are not waiting, and graphics that are just great to look at.

The tune on the hyperduck webby is missing the high bass guitar mix which is kinda my favourite part of the tune, but i'll get it updated today, later on.

Anyway, check out the website and the links to their website and eagerly await it's release! I'll let you know when you can get your mits on it.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 12:41:11 pm by megadokyo »

Offline megadokyo

• Everybody gets one.
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Ima ween!
    • HyperDuck SoundWorks
Re: Zero Gear: Freemium PC Multiplayer Kart Racing!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 11:14:45 am »
Beta keys now available.

http://myzerogear.com/beta/invite.php

Go sign up for one!

Offline Bocom

• SiteDeveloper
  • I'm in despair!
    • Woah there!
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 12:44:35 pm »
Signed up for the beta. :)

EDIT: But I can't activate it... :/
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 04:50:25 pm by Bocom »
This quote is out of context:
<Bocom> I'm also going to see Quantum of Solace later
<Syndicated> Bocom: it is fucking scary
(@Radicz0r) Fuck! Its friday, and you wankers are talking about PIE. Pie! What the hell?

Offline megadokyo

• Everybody gets one.
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Ima ween!
    • HyperDuck SoundWorks
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 07:30:04 pm »
Drop them a line on the quick post page then, dont have to sign up to forums or anything and they'll help you sort it.

Offline megadokyo

• Everybody gets one.
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Ima ween!
    • HyperDuck SoundWorks
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 03:01:41 am »
No indie game fans? The 1.1.1.0 update is out! OR something. It's awesome!

Offline megadokyo

• Everybody gets one.
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Ima ween!
    • HyperDuck SoundWorks
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 10:40:18 am »
Been a few more updates since, I still recommend it despite the lack of visible interest from you lot. Go try it!

Offline Cerapter

• 100% Recycled
    • Home
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 04:37:39 pm »
I downloaded the beta, and think I got it to seem to work, but never got to playing. Then I installed Win7 and lost it. Argh.
Just close your eyes and keep your mind wide open.

Offline Tolkki

• A bane to evil.
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 04:57:02 pm »
LOL what game! This is a game i have been looking for a long time. Plus it has good music :D The only bad thing is those fucking retarted bots, in the football game, one of them made own goal! Does somebody know, is there gonna be a CD edition which can be bought from stores or is it only downloadable?
Lurkkers gonna lurk.

Casper

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 04:52:37 am »
I gave Zero Gear a go!
I liked the concept and I've been waiting for a (decent) Mario Kart style game to hit the PC. Overall it's alright, with the music you guys composed matching the design very well.
Unfortunately it feels like the game is missing something. The lack of items and the retardedly wide race courses really killed the excitement for me. I ended up just..driving, not worrying or caring about what I was doing. Compared that to MK where everybody is constantly fighting and crashing, something is always happening. This was somewhat relieved by the minigame maps, but I felt the controls during matches with the giant football were too slack and found it very difficult to steer effectively.
The game has great potential but it misses the mark. Hopefully in future updates they'll start tweaking the game. Time will tell!
I give this 7 Lysuxs out of 10!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 04:57:37 am by Lysix »

Offline megadokyo

• Everybody gets one.
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Ima ween!
    • HyperDuck SoundWorks
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 12:43:29 pm »
Haha I like your rating system. Flawless. I agree with you on all the points. Dan & I both do. Tis early stages I suppose, they're releasing update patches all the time but I think the mini-maps is the way to go, apparently there is a new game mode coming out soon, but yeah. Nice to see people played this on the masu forums mind!

Oh and to answer the CD question, they don't intend on releasing it on CD mate, just through steam, tis cheaper for them, I believe.