Author Topic: Avatars - Random  (Read 8060 times)

Offline Viherminttu

« on: May 27, 2007, 06:37:30 am »
I made a few more avatars. I dont know why because Im hungover.. but I wanted a few more for my LJ, and I made these.

<WereVolvo> moar sid! new album sux! music vid sux! machinae are sellouts! where i find crappack lulz? when is page getting updated? gief moar free songs plx. zomg plz come to the US/UK/Mars/Alpha Centauri! when r u guyz gonna do a tour? i think u shuld come to this festival it wuld be gr8!

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
Re: Avatars - Random
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 08:26:54 pm »
Cool cool i'd use them but they're a tad too emo ish..

Offline Ant

• Donated so refic can buy beer
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • It's personal text.
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 08:39:18 pm »
I don't think they're emo, infact i've always liked Dim's avatars, except maybe lack of colour, but even still they appear more philosophic than emo
But if one day we meet together while I'm drunk, I promise you to draw a big group sex picture including a lot of forumites. :D

Ich bin ein Berliner, Frankfurter, Hamburger und Bonner

Offline ~futilite~

• I have the [Sticky Lizard's Socks of Coolness] :)
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 09:35:38 pm »
Maybe it is the colour which makes them emo, black and white and then also red like blood. But meh, I like it ;)

Offline Viherminttu

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 05:50:57 am »
See my DXM avatar post for my thoughts on people who think my avatars are 'emo'. Honestly I dont think theyre emo. If there was a crying girl, or some razorblade in the background perhaps. People think everything is 'emo' these days.

I only really enjoy doing text avatars because theyre crisper and cleaner. Ive always admired the well-made text only avatar.
<WereVolvo> moar sid! new album sux! music vid sux! machinae are sellouts! where i find crappack lulz? when is page getting updated? gief moar free songs plx. zomg plz come to the US/UK/Mars/Alpha Centauri! when r u guyz gonna do a tour? i think u shuld come to this festival it wuld be gr8!

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 02:44:47 pm »
I only really enjoy doing text avatars because theyre crisper and cleaner. Ive always admired the well-made text only avatar.

Is there such a thing as a "well-made" text-only avatar? To me, it's just text in different colours on a black background.

Offline Ant

• Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • It's personal text.
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 02:48:24 pm »
I think that's a little unfair dude, art comes in many shapes and forms, but at the end of the day it's an impulse or an expression of feeling, an avatar doesn't have to jam packed to look good, simplicity itself is an art ;)
But if one day we meet together while I'm drunk, I promise you to draw a big group sex picture including a lot of forumites. :D

Offline megashroom°

• Things!
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 02:59:05 pm »
I think that's a little unfair dude, art comes in many shapes and forms, but at the end of the day it's an impulse or an expression of feeling, an avatar doesn't have to jam packed to look good, simplicity itself is an art ;)

Wise words.

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2007, 03:19:56 pm »

Wise words.

Wise words that missed my point entirely.
How can some text on a plain background be "well made" ? I'm not saying it isnt art, I'm saying the only 'well-made' aspects of such an avatar could be .. well..
the choice of lyrics? The selection of font? Which parts of the text would be red?

Offline Ant

• Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • It's personal text.
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2007, 03:38:37 pm »
Based on that, they're pretty successful i'd say

Offline Viherminttu

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2007, 03:58:26 pm »
As with -any- form of art, and this is coming from someone who studied art at a high level, everything from font, to the use of colour or positive/negative space and the placement of the text impacts on its asthetical appeal to audiences. If the colours clash, or are unreadable, they are not appealing on an asthetic level and are not successful as being pieces of art someone would choose to show as their avatar, and thus they fail at their purpose.

As I stated in my other avatar post, these avatars are made for my -own- use and I -choose- to share them with members of these forums. They are not pieces of art to be critiqued or commented upon by people wishing to nitpick at certain aspects of the images, or at my views on art or how 'well-made' an avatar is. I can only hope that people doing such nitpicking have nothing better in their lives to worry about than such nitpicking avatars they'll probably never look at again, for they must be a happy person indeed. Though I feel that these individuals might want to pick up a hobby, such as knitting, to keep their dull lives a bit more interesting and to give them something better to do.

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2007, 04:04:53 pm »

Offline Viherminttu

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2007, 04:07:27 pm »
I love how you devote so much time and energy to me, Fallout! It really shows what a caring person you are to take so much time out of your day to shower me with effort :) <3

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2007, 04:08:46 pm »
I love how you devote so much time and energy to me, Fallout! It really shows what a caring person you are to take so much time out of your day to shower me with effort :) <3

Yeah. 1 minute, while I wait for this damn storm to calm down so I can set off to town.

Offline Viherminttu

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2007, 04:10:15 pm »
Thats one minute of your life that youve spent caring about me! Im so touched! Plus all this time replying to my thread. I feel so loved! <3<3