Poll

Do you think [###] is a lot of money? Choose the option where money starts to become a "lot" of money to you, in my case it would be £50.

£50
12 (37.5%)
£100
10 (31.3%)
£250
4 (12.5%)
£500
1 (3.1%)
£1000
1 (3.1%)
£1000+ (im a rich bastard)
1 (3.1%)
ITS OVER £9000
3 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: Your perspectives on money  (Read 8178 times)

Offline Irrationalist

Re: Your perspectives on money
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2007, 02:49:07 am »
I voted 50.

I live in a pretty wealthy family, but they had the wisdom of having me pay for all of my stuff. They did help me get my loan on my car, but all of the money comes out of my wallet. It taught me financial responsibilty, as I have all my money for bills 1 or 2 months ahead of time. I also dislike borrowing money because of it too. Also made me a bit stingy, but I'm willing to share money with my good friends anyday, well, as long as they arent wasting their's.

As for what Sirix said, I will have to get a student loan soon for that, oh goody, being several thousand dollars in debt!!! But remember that small amounts of money here and there are what usually screws you, which is why I voted so low.

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2007, 03:15:17 am »
You took away my vote. Damn. £50 is *way* too much.

mumppis deleted it :-\

I voted 50.

I live in a pretty wealthy family, but they had the wisdom of having me pay for all of my stuff. They did help me get my loan on my car, but all of the money comes out of my wallet. It taught me financial responsibilty, as I have all my money for bills 1 or 2 months ahead of time. I also dislike borrowing money because of it too. Also made me a bit stingy, but I'm willing to share money with my good friends anyday, well, as long as they arent wasting their's.

As for what Sirix said, I will have to get a student loan soon for that, oh goody, being several thousand dollars in debt!!! But remember that small amounts of money here and there are what usually screws you, which is why I voted so low.

Ahh, like a baby getting it's first tooth, you just said your first wise words. Have a one-off applaud. :)

Offline slippy0

• ┐('~`ï¼›)┌
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2007, 04:19:18 am »
lol at the three people who chose over 9000!!!

anyways, i chose 100, even though I would never just throw around $50 (or pounds, or w/e), I would spend it if I felt the occasion (video game, a special night out, etc). But 100 just seams like a lot to me. I think the only time I've ever spent anything close to that would be buying a game system once every 3 years.
I live off of about a $15 a week allowance, plus whatever I don't spend on food, and the rare 3d commision (I'm open for buisiness, btw ;)).
See why Massachusetts rocks? We have Slippy <.<

Offline Sirix

• Self proclaimed forum Villain
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2007, 05:50:20 am »
lol at the three people who chose over 9000!!!

I feel justified.

Offline SpeedD

• Machinae Prime
  • Canada, BITCH!
    • Egg!
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2007, 06:05:47 am »
I had to choose it.

I mean, for fucks sake....

IT'S OVER 9000!!
"What I felt was turned, in the tempest forged to hate. My soul I disconnected, and called out the Lightbringer to the gate."

Offline Sirix

• Self proclaimed forum Villain
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2007, 06:09:45 am »
I had to choose it.

I mean, for fucks sake....

IT'S OVER 9000!!

maybe it's something about us Canadiash folk.

we just got a lot of money.

we would if we were from Alberta... rich buggers.

Offline SpeedD

• Machinae Prime
  • Canada, BITCH!
    • Egg!
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2007, 06:15:07 am »
Fuckin' oil, eh?
"What I felt was turned, in the tempest forged to hate. My soul I disconnected, and called out the Lightbringer to the gate."

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2007, 07:44:38 am »
I voted £250, around $500. I make from $60-70 a week, depending on how long I work (3-4 hours, three times a week). When I see something I want for $500 (usually some fancy technological device or guitar-related item), I start saving my money for a bit. I don't throw my money around, but like Slippy, if I see a game I want for $50, I'll buy it. $250 is a lot (I certainly wouldn't mind having that amount just handed to me), but it doesn't take as long to save up for something that's $250, so I just don't consider it as highly.

If you're wondering how I could afford an almost $2000 (~$1650 with coupons) laptop, I recently discovered I had about $2800 in savings bonds in the bank. So, most of that went to the laptop, a good chunk $700 to my grandfather for paying my college application fees, and a little bit is left to pay for whatever additional college fees there may be.

As for my family's financial situation, my father went from making $100,000+ a year (upper middle class) to now making less than $20,000 a year and working two jobs, so I'm often the one loaning them money, or buying/paying in part for dinner or groceries. But I don't mind. I don't splurge on things, and I always have at least $100 with me for whatever might come up, and I put a little bit into my (free, thankfully) checking account every week.
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2007, 12:44:46 pm »
I'm going for £100, using the same logic as VT. If there's something I want, and it costs about £50, I buy it. If it's costing upwards to £100, I will have to think about it.

I get just under £6300 a year in students loan and stipend, plus between £1500 and £2000 from jobbing each summer (I could probably get up to £2500 if I get the right job). Of this, just over £3000 disappear in monthly rent, £150 go to internet, and probably £400 go to the power company. In addition comes a some hundred for schoolbooks (typically about £40 per course, or 320 a year), and 10 months of food (I don't have food expenses in when I'm home), which would probably not be any more than £1200, probably less.

Which leaves me with (6300+1500-3000-150-400-320-1200) £2700 a year for other. Out of this, plane trips home (usually 4-5 each year) take out £400 more. Last august, I needed to put in almost £1000 in an account to get my apartment. It's still mine, but they're unavailable, as they're there for making sure that I can pay if I fuck up the apartment or something. This summer, I'll be using the same amount on a computer. So, that leaves me with about £100/month on average for other stuff. Which shows that for me, it's a lot of money

(Remember, also, that living costs and pretty much all costs are higher here in Norway than in almost all other countries. A Big Mac menu costs like £6, just to use something you all know (not that I ever eat Big Mac - it's not very good)).
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

Offline CrunchyLizard

• Machinae Prime
  • Stays crunchy ...even in milk!
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2007, 03:26:48 pm »

Just what I was going to say.
(Yes, I did see Fallout's post that mumppis deleted it, but it's still the option I wanted)

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2007, 06:31:07 pm »

Just what I was going to say.
(Yes, I did see Fallout's post that mumppis deleted it, but it's still the option I wanted)

Yeah.. I dont think I can add it again :-\

Offline Viherminttu

« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2007, 10:02:42 am »
i have $15 to my name right now. I work hard for my money and never save a cent. in all honesty, if something terrible happened id be FUCKED in an emergency.
<WereVolvo> moar sid! new album sux! music vid sux! machinae are sellouts! where i find crappack lulz? when is page getting updated? gief moar free songs plx. zomg plz come to the US/UK/Mars/Alpha Centauri! when r u guyz gonna do a tour? i think u shuld come to this festival it wuld be gr8!

Lysix

« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2007, 11:18:03 am »
in all honesty, if something terrible happened id be FUCKED in an emergency.

Me too. I'm being persuaded by my parents to start saving amounts of what i earn and put it in the bank for "the future".

Offline SpeedD

• Machinae Prime
  • Canada, BITCH!
    • Egg!
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2007, 02:03:51 pm »

I don't...spend money....like...ever.

Really, I don't buy things unless I have to, or really want it. This is reflected in many parts of my life, I'm that guy who plays everything safe and tries to look at the possible outcomes of actions. So yeah...

...I'm a pussy. :P

Offline Viherminttu

« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2007, 03:52:43 am »
in all honesty, if something terrible happened id be FUCKED in an emergency.

Me too. I'm being persuaded by my parents to start saving amounts of what i earn and put it in the bank for "the future".

ditto. why is it so hard to save. alas.
<WereVolvo> moar sid! new album sux! music vid sux! machinae are sellouts! where i find crappack lulz? when is page getting updated? gief moar free songs plx. zomg plz come to the US/UK/Mars/Alpha Centauri! when r u guyz gonna do a tour? i think u shuld come to this festival it wuld be gr8!