Author Topic: Brain Food  (Read 4504 times)

Offline PrescriptiveBarony

• Machinae Prime
  • Let there be blacklight.
Re: Brain Food
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2005, 01:15:58 pm »
Fuckin Neal Stephenson.

Currently in the middle of his 3-part Baroque Cycle.
He rose to fame with Snow Crash and the whole cyberpunk genre, but these books are no-shit fantastic. He wrote them all longhand in 2 or 3 years, and it's a total of around 2500 pages. And the best part is that the stories are so damn engaging. The characters are huge, development-wise, he's not afraid to kill a few off, and he even manages to defeat the Trilogy Demon and provide some semblance of resolution at the end of each book. As for genre, it has a cyberpunk aura, but it's most obviously historical fiction-- takes place in the 16th-17th centuries, revolves around the politics in England at the time (the Restoration, etc.), and Sir Isaac Newton's strange journey through life and machinations regarding currency, as told from the points of view of 1) a cohort of Newton's, 2) a swashbuckling mercenary/pirate, Vagrant, and 3) a former Turkish slave who rises through the nobility of both France and england, even while they war.

It takes a little while to get started but it doesn't stop. I'm on the third book now and i just wish i had more time to read... If you're new to stephenson, i'd actually recommend his previous book Cryptonomicon. It's only one 900-ish page volume, and it's more modern, switching between WWII and modern times, with treasure hunting, digital economy building, Germany-foiling, cryptography, and of course a wonderful budding romance. I cannot recommend either of these nearly enough.

Quote from: Drakonis
Everybody should just <3.

Smeagol

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2005, 01:23:04 pm »
Reading "Hiroshima" by John Hersey, on and off... not the most interesting little book.

All I can say to that is, Dracula by Bram Stoker. That is one really badly written book.

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2005, 07:09:38 pm »
The new Wheel of Time book really owns. I'd say it's as good as the first five, and worth slogging through the subpar 7-9 (and downright terrible 10) just so you know what's going on.
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Lexx

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2005, 08:23:16 pm »
Meh, I'm struggling to get through book 2.

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2005, 03:46:19 am »
At the moment, it seems like I'm only reading one book, The Mammoth Book of New Horror 15, a collection of the, according to editor Stephen Jones, best horror stories of 2003 or 2004 (I'm too lazy to check).
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic