Author Topic: HL2 Reviewed by PCGamer  (Read 4055 times)

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
HL2 Reviewed by PCGamer
« on: October 02, 2004, 10:07:23 pm »
Got 96%. Looks like it'll be good, still doesn't make up for all the shit Valve has put us through though. I got some scanned images of the review, can't be bothered to upload them though... Maybe I will later, who knows.

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
Re:HL2 Reviewed by PCGamer
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2004, 10:11:30 pm »
lol 96%? nice. PC gamer are so tight in games reviews.. some of the best games ever only got about 80% etc.

ddrdude13

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2004, 06:03:02 am »
Nice. This is going to be good, better than DOOM3 I hope. That game kinda dissapoints me. Well, part of the fact is because my PC is filled up with crap, but still.

Smeagol

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2004, 05:30:33 pm »
i plan on getting both very soon after the rest of my PC arrives (using my old crappy one with shiny new monitor, keyboard and mouse, yay!)

seriously my current is just THAT bad, can't even run fuckin Warcraft3

Offline Turin

• I'm a llama!<--True.
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2004, 06:49:34 pm »
lol 96%? nice. PC gamer are so tight in games reviews.. some of the best games ever only got about 80% etc.

Wrong, PCgamer lately has been giving games in which are popular good reviews. For example Doom3 got a 91%.

It was barely worth a 50%. I think PCgamer takes bribes from different gaming companys, so therefore I canceled my subscription for next year.  :'(

Offline Outboundlight

• Renegade Anarchist Folk Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Rogue World Asylum Seeker
    • No Art Films
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2004, 11:21:51 pm »
I thot DooM III was very entertaining, no point accusing a magazine of taking bribes just cuz they have a different opinion than you - reviews are written by real people afterall, not omniscient game gods

Offline Vortex

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2004, 06:50:53 am »
When HL2's realese date is anounced I'm going to take a weeks paid vacation starting the release day  ;D .

I have to use the paid vacation before the end of the year because they don't roll over to next year. I finally was qualified for one starting last month.  :)

Offline Orthosofthecold

• <.< >.> (very shifty eyed person)
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2004, 09:39:38 am »
While it is true that most game magazines alter their reviews of games because they receive money for them, its usually just a few points one way or another, and it is common for some reviews to be waaaay off simply because you differ in opinion of the reviewer. But I agree with VisionThing, dont accuse a good gaming mag of taking bribes because of one review that you disagreed with.
wouldnt it be cool if you could shoot fire from your hands?

Offline Valentine Revolution

• Twitter
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2004, 12:42:02 pm »
Any company related to gaming, like magazines and retailers, are always under pressure from big publishers *cougheacough* to push certain titles. Its hard to balance a genuine love of gaming and the need to be honest with the business side of things. Gaming is just another big business after all.

Offline Turin

• I'm a llama!<--True.
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2004, 10:36:22 pm »
While it is true that most game magazines alter their reviews of games because they receive money for them, its usually just a few points one way or another, and it is common for some reviews to be waaaay off simply because you differ in opinion of the reviewer. But I agree with VisionThing, dont accuse a good gaming mag of taking bribes because of one review that you disagreed with.

Well actually its been more then one.

Diablo II expansion.
Rome: Total War
Battlefield 1942.
Dungeon Siege, are all some that I have wasted my money on due to their reviews.

But you're right.

Offline Layson Juravis

• R.I.P. Max
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2004, 11:59:02 pm »
Oddly enough, most of the games getting good reviews on PC are either 3D shooters, MMORPGs, and RTSs. Somehow, no points really go out for originality. And in the end well, 90% of the PC games we hear about today fall in one of the 3 categories.

And it's really really sad, because, now that it's so expensive to develop a game, with a team of 30 3D artists and whatnot, the larger video game companies aren't willing to take risks any more. So we end up seeing the same old game over and over again, in a different wrapping. I miss the early 90's where every game felt fresh and new.

Here's some very interesting reading on the topic. The document is old, but still true... maybe even more so than when it was written.

http://www.the-underdogs.org/scratch.php

Layson
Another visitor...
Stay a while...
Stay forever!!

Mouhouhouhahaha

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2004, 03:24:15 am »
Hopefully, Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth will bring a bit of freshness to the FPS games (well, technically, it's a FP Horror). Seems to me that is one of the original games being developed at the time.

Unfortunately, being a CoC fan, I'll probably be disappointed when it finally comes out. Not because of it not being good, but because I've got too high expectations.

As for all new games being the same - true dat. And Doom3 really was a disappointment, yes. All reviews said that is was scary, and being a horror fan, I installed, turned off the lights and cranked up the sound. Nope. No scare at all. And the graphics were too good to give me Doom1/2 retro feelings...

I think the last game that really got to me while playing must have been Deus Ex. No games newer than that has really been able to get me into a full gaming mode (that is, "can't wait to turn on my computer and play, manages to get up early in the morning just to play"-mode. Oh, wait, I think there has been one more such game after Deus Ex...or was that just a pre-Deus Ex game I played post-Deus Ex? Fallout, maybe? Or possibly System Shock 2. maybe It was such a nice game, I played it until my parents decided to destroy the game and erase the memories. I don't know. Probably, it was a pre-Deus Ex-game...).

Do hope CoC will do it for me, though...
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

Offline Outboundlight

• Renegade Anarchist Folk Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Rogue World Asylum Seeker
    • No Art Films
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2004, 03:39:19 am »
YES call of cthulhu, its going to fail horribly at retail but I dont care, their doing the franchise justice (it seems) instead of just taking the chtulu mythos and chucking it into a generic video game, YAY :D. And the Innsmouth setting, w00t ;D

I always loved the campaign in the innsmouth expansion for CoC where there was a full scale invasion of the town, some of hte best roleplaying ever....anywho...yeh...cool.

chompy

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2004, 07:28:32 am »
DX ball
DX ball
DX ball
DX ball
OMG MOVIng text, DX BALL--- --- --- --DX ball 2 - http://www.longbowdigitalarts.com/dxball2.html get it. One pretty fun old game that wins the old game that is fun award for this thread award.

Yea magazine reviews just shit me, for example. Some AUssie mag I think gave doom3 98 or 96 (same score for Iron storm) and dues ex 2 a higher score than the original. I feel like all of these games have just gotten high scores becuase they are cool and the people writing the reviews need to keep up the appearances.

Whilst on the topic of good game get yourself a demo of Roller Coaster Tycoon 3, it rocks. If  you played the first ones you'll love this one.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2004, 07:31:57 am by chompy »

Offline Turtle

• I'm a turtle!
    • Turtle's Site
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2004, 08:02:20 am »
DX Ball 1 and 2 were the shit.  Loved those games.