Author Topic: Whats your thing?  (Read 3632 times)

Offline RisingPhoenix

• Welcome to Rivendell, Mr Anderson
Whats your thing?
« on: January 14, 2014, 01:23:35 am »
Ok, so I'm new here. Not new to MaSu...been listening to them for a long time now...Since Deus Ex I believe XD
The question I propose...we all have a thing that we do. Something we love, that inspires and guides us. Aside MaSu, what do you all do?

I'll start. Mine is either gaming (Namely Reident Evil...to say I'm obssessed is an understatement), film making or free-running :)
Of course, all of the above are usually done whilst listening to the delight that is MaSu. Latest achievement is managing to solo Terramorphus on Borderlands 2 (level 50, and I can do it consistently. Thank you Rise of  A Digital Nation :D)
The First of Many
Gamer, film maker and Resident Evil nut...all fuelled by MaSu!

Though far apart, we're United by Heart

Offline MarioMaster100

• Atari & arcade music formed my chiptune love.
Re: Whats your thing?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 12:04:20 am »
I try to do cool things for my art classes and I make music on my computer and DS (hopefully soon gameboy too :)

Signature and avatar credits to: MFreak and others from n-forums.com

Offline RisingPhoenix

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 12:11:38 am »
I always sucked at Art...it always eluded me for some reason O_o'
But awesomeness :D
The First of Many

Offline MarioMaster100

• Atari & arcade music formed my chiptune love.
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 12:57:56 am »
Well to be fair, art is what I'm going to college for, animation specifically (didn't hit those classes yet though).

Signature and avatar credits to: MFreak and others from n-forums.com

Offline RisingPhoenix

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 07:51:55 pm »
Ah awesome :)
I did media and film studies myself, so thats kind of my thing education wise. But I do a LOT of writing, I enjoy putting words on paper :)
The First of Many

Offline Caranfin

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 10:01:44 pm »
I find it hard to separate any particular hobby of mine as a special 'thing'. I find myself fluctuating between a ton of different interests, occasionally getting completely obsessive about a particular hobby to the exclusion of everything else, then gradually losing interest and either switching to another obsession or doing a variety of stuff before getting really into something else again.

Staples of stuff I get really into include gaming (most recently Arma 3. I really really love the challenge of designing pvp missions in a way to encourage the sort of gameplay I want, without any fixed limits on what you can do), parkour, bouldering, juggling, and pnp rpgs (playing and designing).

Offline RisingPhoenix

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 12:56:32 am »
You do parkour too huh? I like that you've used the right title :D
I understand the feeling of dancing between hobbies and interests. Happened a lot with me when I was a few years younger. It kinda settled, but it has its moments for sure. Like, at the moment I spend most of my time gaming...but once it stops raining (if ever) that will switch to more physical endeavours with any luck. Then in the summer, LARP season starts up again, which is the biggest 'thing' I have each year
The First of Many

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Armoured Tanks of Mass Destruction
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 01:39:10 am »
I do programming both as a (future) profession and hobby. On the hobby side, I develop video games and tools for pen and paper role playing games (the latter also is my master's thesis project).
I practice climbing (both indoor top rope and indoor boulder, haven't tried outdoors yet).

Games are my passion, both playing and creating. I play and design pen and paper role playing games.
I also play video games; currently Hearthstone is what I spend the most time on. I also play a fair amount of casual Magic: The Gathering.
"Actually, wooden stakes are for vampires. Wooden steaks are for vegetarians."

Offline RisingPhoenix

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 11:25:32 pm »
I used to play Magic a lot...stopped during Innistrad because of stupid cards making infinite combos XD
I play a lot of EDH (commander) now. Its a lot more enjoyable if you play with a social group :)
The First of Many

Offline Caranfin

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 02:33:40 pm »
You do parkour too huh? I like that you've used the right title :D
I understand the feeling of dancing between hobbies and interests. Happened a lot with me when I was a few years younger. It kinda settled, but it has its moments for sure. Like, at the moment I spend most of my time gaming...but once it stops raining (if ever) that will switch to more physical endeavours with any luck. Then in the summer, LARP season starts up again, which is the biggest 'thing' I have each year
Hey, freerunning is a totally legit term. It's just got a bunch of superfluous flips and shit in it that I'm entirely disinterested in.

I find that I actually flutter a lot more around different interests as I get older. I constantly bump into things I'm really interested in and then spend a week completely engrossed in whatever it is before I mellow out and do other stuff as well.

I guess my 'thing' is really general: I'm ridiculously interested in languages and everything to do with them, which is fortunate given my studies (I'm studying language technology / computer linguistics). I'm also extremely interested in game design and particularly anything where you play people as well as the rules.

I do programming both as a (future) profession and hobby. On the hobby side, I develop video games and tools for pen and paper role playing games (the latter also is my master's thesis project).
I practice climbing (both indoor top rope and indoor boulder, haven't tried outdoors yet).

Games are my passion, both playing and creating. I play and design pen and paper role playing games.
I also play video games; currently Hearthstone is what I spend the most time on. I also play a fair amount of casual Magic: The Gathering.
Hey I've been meaning to ask you if you have any experience with Dungeon World? My group's Dark Heresy campaign is about to be finished and the GM wants to do a dungeon crawl next, and I've heard really good things of DW. D&D 4e is not an option unfortunately, since the group is too big and would be unwieldy with D&D.

By the way, if you guys are interested in really well made games that emphasise both analytical and social skills, you really should watch the Korean game show The Genius Game. It's ridiculously well made, and basically Game Theory: The Show.

Fuck it, just watch it anyway.

EDIT: almost forgot, you can find all of the episodes (subbed) in this tumblr post.

Offline RisingPhoenix

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 04:34:46 pm »
I know freerunning is a legit thing, it has been since Sebastian Foucan pushed it with the Jump videos...it just bugs me a little that people call parkour freerunning XD There are subtle differences, sure, but the two arts are very different :)

Saying that, was the table top Dark Heresy any good? I keep glancing over it as a group of friends play it and keep inviting me along
The First of Many

Offline Caranfin

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 07:42:50 pm »
I'm not a big fan of the system: it has a ton of really outdated design conventions (straight up success-failure rolls for example), and overall feels kinda clunky. I'm not sure whether it's got massive character creation traps or anything clearly broken like that, since I haven't really got that into the system. Overall, though, while it is outdated, it doesn't seem ridiculously bad and a good group can make anything work.

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Armoured Tanks of Mass Destruction
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 12:26:33 pm »
Hey I've been meaning to ask you if you have any experience with Dungeon World? My group's Dark Heresy campaign is about to be finished and the GM wants to do a dungeon crawl next, and I've heard really good things of DW. D&D 4e is not an option unfortunately, since the group is too big and would be unwieldy with D&D.

By the way, if you guys are interested in really well made games that emphasise both analytical and social skills, you really should watch the Korean game show The Genius Game. It's ridiculously well made, and basically Game Theory: The Show.

Fuck it, just watch it anyway.

EDIT: almost forgot, you can find all of the episodes (subbed) in this tumblr post.

No experience with DW, sorry. The last two years I've been delving deep into indie improv titles. Fiasco and Microscope have been staples of my gaming group. If you haven't checked Microscope out, you definitely should. It's collaborative world building on a massive scale.
I've also delved into creating some games together with my group. Most notably are Escapade (use a Fiasco-like system to create cinematic stories in the vein of Star Wars and Pirates of the Caribbean) and Downtime, which is still very much under development (what do adventurers do between adventures?).

I might check out The Genius Game some time, if I can find the time.
"Actually, wooden stakes are for vampires. Wooden steaks are for vegetarians."

Offline Caranfin

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 07:27:39 pm »
Yeah I'm in love with Fiasco (I think I gushed about it to you at the last release party?), and Microscope is cool as hell as well.

While I haven't played it yet, Dungeon World sounds more amazing the more I read about it, and the rules are free, with the options of buying a .pdf or a print version. They're really compact, seem incredibly neat on a read-through, and I'm excited as hell about getting to play.