Author Topic: Any one play doom metal here?  (Read 3516 times)

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
Any one play doom metal here?
« on: July 05, 2013, 10:03:23 am »
I've finally got around to trying to pickup the guitar lately and I'd like to dive into the doom end of the spectrum. I figure the slower tempo makes for a good place to start as I still get my ass kicked by guitar hero with 3 buttons not to mention my stratocaster trying to figure out chords. ;)

Mainly looking for suggestions of good doom resources and the setup of my stratocaster. I tried tuning C# at the start but I'm fairly sure the neck is too short to maintain it and I probably need to swap a string or two as they are pretty light gauge that it came with. I've settled with drop d for the meantime.

A lot of recommendations for doom I've read suggest going for a SG or LP with humbuckers in the future if I stick with it. Does that seem like a good future upgrade ...other than the crazy prices on the LPs? Right now the stratocaster I have is the super cute hello kitty edition as I had to appeal to the wife to spend money on a guitar. I must admit the pink looks pretty tr00 and necro against the black. :p
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Offline Mithrandil

• Poetica
Re: Any one play doom metal here?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 03:36:50 pm »
If you tune from E standard to C# you most likely have to get your guitar setup again for it to be any good to play due to the string being all loose. Might suggest thicked gauged strings as well (I use 11s on my main guitar, and I'm tuned to D standard).

What kind of guitar you have shouldn't have too much to say in the start, as long as it's equipped with some decent humbucker pickups. it's more important learning your way around the fretboard, as well as build a small arsenal of scales, chords and some basic music theory ;) When it comes to songchoices, just pick some of your favorite songs. They might be difficult to play, but they'll teach you a lot :) One of the first songs I tried to learn was SIDstyler, which isn't too easy ;)

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 08:50:33 pm »
If you tune from E standard to C# you most likely have to get your guitar setup again for it to be any good to play due to the string being all loose. Might suggest thicked gauged strings as well (I use 11s on my main guitar, and I'm tuned to D standard).

What kind of guitar you have shouldn't have too much to say in the start, as long as it's equipped with some decent humbucker pickups. it's more important learning your way around the fretboard, as well as build a small arsenal of scales, chords and some basic music theory ;) When it comes to songchoices, just pick some of your favorite songs. They might be difficult to play, but they'll teach you a lot :) One of the first songs I tried to learn was SIDstyler, which isn't too easy ;)

Yeah thats why I'm thinking doom might be a good choice compared to trying to figure out how to play masu songs as far as favourites go. The pace is a lot easier for me to keep up with right now. Would you recommend using picks or fingers while learning? I've just been shredding my fingers so far.

This strat just has the one humbucker pickup on it. Only thing that bothers me about it is just how light it feels compared to any other guitar I've touched – disturbingly light really. I suppose its aimed at a slightly different market than myself being a hello kitty item. ;) On the other hand the wife seems to like it enough to start trying to figure out how to play too.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 08:52:30 pm by Einkoro »
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Offline Mithrandil

• Poetica
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 03:58:14 pm »
Guitars vary in weight, though I tend to get the heavy ones myself ;) (strats tend to be lighter)

If you want to do metal/rock - I would recommend learning while using a pick. Eventhough there are some fingerpickers out there, the majority are using picks :)

Offline dezo

• ex Defence Against the Dark Arts
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 08:31:24 pm »
Downpicking is the core of methulz.

Offline wilfredduran

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, 10:58:56 am »
Yes, still playing that one and it is great, one of my favorite.