Author Topic: Game Of Light project  (Read 4426 times)

Offline Wheim

Game Of Light project
« on: June 01, 2013, 10:34:09 am »
Hey guys, me and my group has just finished a project for a design-focused university course. We decided early on
to go for broke and try to make something unique and ambitious (and I think we have). After a while we settled
on making a arduino-powered LED-matrix gaming screen for oldschool games(you kinda have to see it for yourself ;))

This has certainly paid off, and it has been really fun, even though it means that the last few weeks before the deadline
was survived on caffeine and willpower alone.

Buit why is this relevant to Masu, you ask?

One of the things we had to make for the final delivery was a movie about the project, and being about gaming I naturally
though the music should be by Masu! So, about 30 hours before the deadline I send Rob a PM asking if its cool if we use a
couple of songs, desperately hoping to get a reply in time. And about 15min later he replies. I mean, point me to another
band who does that? Thats freaking awesome!

Anyway, we managed to deliver everything about 3min before the deadline, and I think it will turn out well. It would be cool
if you guys would check out the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpcbyfRt6WU&hd=1
(please keep in mind that its filmed with subpar camera equipment and edited by someone with close to zero video editing experience!)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 07:11:24 pm by Wheim »

Offline MashedByMachines

• That guy
  • Community Supporter
  • Skala lök?
    • Music
Re: Game Of Light project
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 09:15:45 pm »
Awesome! Now I want to build something like this myself :)

http://mashedbymachines.newgrounds.com/

Believing in a zombieman from outer space who is his own father is pretty funny, but that's not what MaSu is about //yas

Offline Wheim

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 08:49:24 pm »
Thanks!

You should go for it, working with projects like this is very fun :) I'd advice you to start with something a bit smaller than this though, unless you're already experienced with arduino and electronics/soldering (oh god the soldering. I should upload a picture of that).

Offline MashedByMachines

• That guy
  • Community Supporter
  • Skala lök?
    • Music
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 02:21:56 am »
Thanks!

You should go for it, working with projects like this is very fun :) I'd advice you to start with something a bit smaller than this though, unless you're already experienced with arduino and electronics/soldering (oh god the soldering. I should upload a picture of that).

Oh yes, I actually have a masters degree in in engineering in December :)
I dont usually work much with hardware though, but I do have one Arduino uno at home so I built a smaller LED array to display some patters as a start yesterday, I dont know if I will do anything more but I might continue when I get some more free time  :)

Did you make a report or write a paper of some kind for this project? I would be interested in reading it!  :D
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 02:26:22 am by MashedByMachines »

Believing in a zombieman from outer space who is his own father is pretty funny, but that's not what MaSu is about //yas

Offline Wheim

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 11:49:11 am »
I dont usually work much with hardware though, but I do have one Arduino uno at home so I built a smaller LED array to display some patters as a start yesterday, I dont know if I will do anything more but I might continue when I get some more free time  :)

Did you make a report or write a paper of some kind for this project? I would be interested in reading it!  :D

Nice! I'm starting my masters in Robotics this fall ;)

We did make a report, but as this course really was about User-Centered Design, thats the main focus of the report. So you might find it a bit boring. Also its in norwegian. We only took the course for fun, because they gave us an arduino to play with, and no limits :)

Edit:
We also made an open-source API, and a simulator running in Processing. Both are available on https://github.com/GameOfLight/Source
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 09:33:07 pm by Wheim »

Offline MashedByMachines

• That guy
  • Community Supporter
  • Skala lök?
    • Music
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 12:58:36 am »

Nice! I'm starting my masters in Robotics this fall ;)

We did make a report, but as this course really was about User-Centered Design, thats the main focus of the report. So you might find it a bit boring. Also its in norwegian. We only took the course for fun, because they gave us an arduino to play with, and no limits :)

Edit:
We also made an open-source API, and a simulator running in Processing. Both are available on https://github.com/GameOfLight/Source

Sweet! I'll check that out, thanks! :)