Author Topic: How are you?  (Read 6223 times)

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
How are you?
« on: April 03, 2013, 01:38:13 am »
So, how are things? How's life going? Good, bad, up, down... post about whatever you're feeling and if you want to talk about it. Take some time and analyze your situation. Be as deep or as shallow as you like.

I personally am doing okay. I'm back on depression/anxiety meds after being off of them for a while. I was having a pretty bad time, and then I played a "game" by a local developer named Zoe Quinn called Depression Quest. It was hard but it motivated me enough to call my doctor up and get going again.

I just finished moving my desk, computer etc. into the office downstairs (after re-painting it myself) so that I can start making YouTube videos and streaming on Twitch.tv. I had been watching so much on both sites that I finally decided I was done consuming content and wanted to start making it. I'm hopeful and scared shitless at the same time. It's hard to stick out and get an audience now.

Also it's really cold down here. Kinda hard to type. :P

I've got a girlfriend, coming up on five and a half years now. She's awesome. She is the easiest part of my life. When everything else is causing me to go grey early (I'm 24) it's nice to have a refuge from the rest of the world.

I kind of want a mohawk. Not liberty spikes, just a smallish one.

I have a job, and for as awesome as it is (great boss and great coworkers, work I reasonably enjoy and am good at), I only work three hours a day, five days a week, because I never finished my college/uni degree (I have a little more than half a semester left). I would like to work more but they can't take me on full-time until I finish. Problem is I can't figure out what to get a degree in because I'm not very interested in any of the choices and nobody offers degrees for my specific role at work.

I think that's about it for me right now. How are you?
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline machinaeFREAK

Re: How are you?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 02:38:36 am »
Well, let's see...

How is life going?

If I were to rate my life: 5.6/10.
To begin with some positive things: I came out to a shitload of people. I got tipsy for the first time in my life, last winter. I have my own income, even though it's moderately low. I'm being way more social than I was 1 year ago. I guess these are pretty naive achievements but still, they give me a good amount of self esteem when looking back on them.

The bad things? Well..
Be as deep or as shallow as you like.
I still don't have a boyfriend. I'm pretty hellbent on finding one, because, you know, hormones and how the brain works. It doesn't need an explanation. To continue on mental shit, it's not bad but it could be better. I get insanely angry at the slightest things and I keep calm when there's a problem most people would rage about. I got psychological help last year and my sociophobia got cured, if you can call it that. On the other side, there's a part of me that's becoming misogynistic pretty fast. It's not like I hate all women, so I don't know if I'm using the term correctly; that doesn't matter right now. It's getting pretty fucking tiring, getting annoyed at girls when you do something as simple as grocery shopping. And believe me, I don't want to get annoyed all the time. It's exhausting.
I failed my exams last year so I'm doing Geography, Biology and Economics again. Honestly, I'm really scared that I will fail them again; it would be fucked up and I don't want that. I guess the only thing I can do is to study hard. School is fun, though. The teachers are nice, smart, and helpful. Not that 90% of my classmates are people you'd want to be around, fyi. It's pretty hard to keep cool when some dumb bitch says that copper sulfate is 'disgusting' because 'it's blue'. But whatever, 1 month to go and then I'm free. (I only have 3 days of school a week, of which 2 are only 3 hours long and only 1 hour of economics on friday)

What's bugging me is the fact that I don't have the slightest idea of what to do after I finish my exams. All of the courses available to me are boring as fuck, really, and I don't want to end up doing something I hate. But I guess that can wait. Summer vacation first!

end of baww

Back to the good things. I finally got a job last summer, yay. Delivering papers at 5 in the morning. It's healthy, it's easy and simple, and it's quiet. My salary is about ~165 euros a month, which is relatively low, I guess, but I don't see that as a problem since my purchases have always been at a minimum. Anyway, the quiet is really nice, especially with the summer now coming around the corner and seeing all the flowers blooming. To be cliché, it often gives me a feeling of contributing to society. Hurrah 3x.

I used to be pretty insecure about my looks, but it's getting better, I guess (receiving compliments on your appearance isn't bad either). I'm thinking of colouring my hair blonde, maybe even get some piercings.

That's it, I hope didn't get too annoyed at the baww  :)
"The way of the ninja is the way of life, when lightning strikes once a ninja strikes twice"

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Armoured Tanks of Mass Destruction
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 07:37:47 pm »
My life is pretty swell at the moment.
I will start with my Master's thesis in computer science this summer, working on an interaction design project with one of Sweden's most prominent game researchers.
I have started exercising again after a long period of slackiness when I broke up last April with my then GF of ~3 years. I climb and work out several times a week and am starting to get back into the shape I was winter 09-10. That feels really good.
I recently got myself a new girlfriend, who is awesome (which goes without saying because I am awesome and would not settle for less).
"Actually, wooden stakes are for vampires. Wooden steaks are for vegetarians."

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 05:09:46 am »
I came out to a shitload of people.

Congratulations! I know that can be hard for some, especially for those coming from more conservative circles as some of my friends have. Although I suppose conservative here would be a bit different from conservative there. Regardless, this is awesome.

I still don't have a boyfriend.

It sucks, but give it time. Given that you're starting to come out of your cocoon it will happen eventually. When you're ready, don't be afraid to go to gay bar. I know that over here they're like pretty much every other kind of bar in that some are loud and raucous while others are very low-key. See if you can find a quiet one to hang out in. You don't have to go looking for love or even a one-night stand if you're not comfortable with that, just treat it like making some new friends. You should be able to find a steady group of people to get to know and relax with.

On the other side, there's a part of me that's becoming misogynistic pretty fast. It's not like I hate all women, so I don't know if I'm using the term correctly; that doesn't matter right now. It's getting pretty fucking tiring, getting annoyed at girls when you do something as simple as grocery shopping. And believe me, I don't want to get annoyed all the time. It's exhausting.

I don't really know what you can do about this. Remember the humanity of those you interact with and your reactions should become less extreme.

I failed my exams last year so I'm doing Geography, Biology and Economics again. Honestly, I'm really scared that I will fail them again; it would be fucked up and I don't want that. I guess the only thing I can do is to study hard.

And don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it. I don't know how it is over there but here there's a perceived stigma attached to asking for help with things. All you can do beyond that is work hard and try not to get distracted. I know how difficult that can be.

I will start with my Master's thesis in computer science this summer, working on an interaction design project with one of Sweden's most prominent game researchers.
I have started exercising again after a long period of slackiness when I broke up last April with my then GF of ~3 years. I climb and work out several times a week and am starting to get back into the shape I was winter 09-10. That feels really good.
I recently got myself a new girlfriend, who is awesome (which goes without saying because I am awesome and would not settle for less).

Yessss. You are definitely awesome. But we talk about that enough on facebook. :P I look forward to hearing when you've been hired by some awesome studio.
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline Caranfin

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 05:14:09 pm »
I'm doing really well. I'm studying language technology at the Helsinki University, but honestly spending most of my time with courses that don't exactly fit in the degree (ancient egyptian was boss as hell). I've also had a really tough time getting myself to lectures and meeting deadlines due to suffering from a really nasty bit of insomnia lately. It usually takes three to five hours for me to get sleep, sometimes longer. I've been seeing a doctor about it, but we're currently a bit at a loss for a reason.

Studying is starting to wind down for the summer, and I'll have most of the month free before I start work so I've got tons of time to just do whatever. I took up rock climbing for real a while ago, and it's awesome. I suspect I'll be climbing or doing parkour five to six times a week when I'm done with my last exam, and I'm going to try to keep up some of the pace with my ridiculously changeable work schedule during the summer.

I've also finally had the chance to take up writing my homebrew pen&paper rpg system again (though with some significant changes due to some issues I noticed when I was supposed to study), which is great but typing all those words is a bit tiring when I'd just like to get testing as soon as possible. Continuing on the nerdy stuff, I've been having a ton of fun playing through the MGS series again and the games are as hilarious as I remembered.

I've got a really cool girlfriend, who I've been together with for a bit over three years now. It's going quite well apart from us only having a chance to see each other during weekends since she lives in a different city and both of our schedules are extremely packed during the week.

I'm back on depression/anxiety meds after being off of them for a while. I was having a pretty bad time, and then I played a "game" by a local developer named Zoe Quinn called Depression Quest. It was hard but it motivated me enough to call my doctor up and get going again.
Depression and anxiety are really crap, I'm glad you're getting treatment. Good luck with sorting it out. Are you in therapy or just the meds?

My girlfriend has been suffering from some pretty severe anxiety and mild depression for a while, and it's been extremely difficult to be stuck in another city when someone you care about is spiraling down into a mess of self-hate and you can't do anything about it. She's trying to find a therapist now, but she's in med school and has her own opinions and is really picky on the type of therapy she wants so that's taking some time.

I just finished moving my desk, computer etc. into the office downstairs (after re-painting it myself) so that I can start making YouTube videos and streaming on Twitch.tv. I had been watching so much on both sites that I finally decided I was done consuming content and wanted to start making it. I'm hopeful and scared shitless at the same time. It's hard to stick out and get an audience now.
Nice, did you create your channels yet? Link them when you have so we can start following. What sort of content are you planning to make?

I came out to a shitload of people. I have my own income, even though it's moderately low. I'm being way more social than I was 1 year ago. I guess these are pretty naive achievements but still, they give me a good amount of self esteem when looking back on them.
Congrats, especially on coming out!

I still don't have a boyfriend. I'm pretty hellbent on finding one, because, you know, hormones and how the brain works. It doesn't need an explanation.
Don't stress about it (yeah I know it's hard not to). Just hang out with people you think are cool and be cool and someone will think you're cool and you'll hit off. The worst thing to do is to seem desperate and rushing things.

To continue on mental shit, it's not bad but it could be better. I get insanely angry at the slightest things and I keep calm when there's a problem most people would rage about. I got psychological help last year and my sociophobia got cured, if you can call it that.
Are you getting help with your other issues? That sounds really annoying and I hope you manage to deal with it.

On the other side, there's a part of me that's becoming misogynistic pretty fast. It's not like I hate all women, so I don't know if I'm using the term correctly; that doesn't matter right now. It's getting pretty fucking tiring, getting annoyed at girls when you do something as simple as grocery shopping. And believe me, I don't want to get annoyed all the time. It's exhausting.
What sort of things do you get annoyed about? Like Harvey said, concentrating on the fact that they're human as well and not some sort of alien race, and trying to understand why they would do whatever you get annoyed about, might help.

I used to be pretty insecure about my looks, but it's getting better, I guess (receiving compliments on your appearance isn't bad either). I'm thinking of colouring my hair blonde, maybe even get some piercings.
That's great! Also, if you haven't yet, take up a sport that seems cool (rock climbing is amazing, martial arts are great, just lifting weights at a gym isn't bad either). Getting fit does wonders for your self-esteem, and you'll also meet new people (some of whom you might want to date, but seriously don't take up a new activity just for finding a boyfriend, that's not going to work).

Everything's cool, you're cool. Cool.

What do you climb? Traditional? Sport? Boulder? Everything?

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 12:40:04 pm »
Everything's cool, you're cool. Cool.

What do you climb? Traditional? Sport? Boulder? Everything?

Traditional top-rope and boulder so far, planning on going outdoor rock climbing some time this summer.

Offline machinaeFREAK

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 02:09:56 am »
Haha, thanks for the support. Funny enough, the day after I posted my reply a friend from school told me about this gay bar that's pretty close to my home, so I'll be sure to take a look there.
"The way of the ninja is the way of life, when lightning strikes once a ninja strikes twice"

Offline Viherminttu

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 03:39:59 am »
I'm getting married in just over a month... aaand I own a piercing studio these days. I don't know what else to say, I'm such a boring person that it is all the fuck about work for me :|
<WereVolvo> moar sid! new album sux! music vid sux! machinae are sellouts! where i find crappack lulz? when is page getting updated? gief moar free songs plx. zomg plz come to the US/UK/Mars/Alpha Centauri! when r u guyz gonna do a tour? i think u shuld come to this festival it wuld be gr8!

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2013, 09:29:18 pm »
What is your critter status at the moment? I remember you having quite the collection of pets.

Offline ~futilite~

• I have the [Sticky Lizard's Socks of Coolness] :)
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 06:27:29 pm »
I moved in with my boyfriend last autumn (after years of long-distance relationship) and we are quite happy :) I'm in my master studies, hopefully starting my thesis this autumn.

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 11:10:58 pm »
Good for you, long distance sucks. What's your subject?

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 02:10:51 am »
I'm doing really well. I'm studying language technology at the Helsinki University, but honestly spending most of my time with courses that don't exactly fit in the degree (ancient egyptian was boss as hell). I've also had a really tough time getting myself to lectures and meeting deadlines due to suffering from a really nasty bit of insomnia lately. It usually takes three to five hours for me to get sleep, sometimes longer. I've been seeing a doctor about it, but we're currently a bit at a loss for a reason.

Studying is starting to wind down for the summer, and I'll have most of the month free before I start work so I've got tons of time to just do whatever. I took up rock climbing for real a while ago, and it's awesome. I suspect I'll be climbing or doing parkour five to six times a week when I'm done with my last exam, and I'm going to try to keep up some of the pace with my ridiculously changeable work schedule during the summer.

I've also finally had the chance to take up writing my homebrew pen&paper rpg system again (though with some significant changes due to some issues I noticed when I was supposed to study), which is great but typing all those words is a bit tiring when I'd just like to get testing as soon as possible. Continuing on the nerdy stuff, I've been having a ton of fun playing through the MGS series again and the games are as hilarious as I remembered.

I've got a really cool girlfriend, who I've been together with for a bit over three years now. It's going quite well apart from us only having a chance to see each other during weekends since she lives in a different city and both of our schedules are extremely packed during the week.

Insomnia sucks. The only way I was able to break mine was with what amounted to being a complete lifestyle change and my depression meds. Hopefully yours winds up being easier to treat.

The rest of that is awesome, though.

Are you in therapy or just the meds?

I was in therapy for a little while, but after a certain point it was just about getting my life back on track. After I started working I stopped that and just stayed on the meds.

I was actually laid off at the end of last month, so I've been looking for full-time work. It's going a lot better than it did when I was in therapy, although that may just be my positive outlook.

I feel for your girlfriend. I had a tough time for a while when my gf was in New York for an internship and I was living by myself in my last year of college. It's tough to see the bright side when there isn't a stabilizing force around. Just keep reminding her of things that she has to look forward to, including getting to see you. It's a little easier to make it through the day when there's something on the horizon that won't suck so much.

As for therapy, it's good that she's taking her time finding somewhere that suits her. It's important that she's open to the therapy, though. It can seem really silly at first, but everything has a purpose. I've known a lot of people who were in and out of therapy for years because they felt like the doctors couldn't help them; they always went into the appointments with a cynical view and fell victim to confirmation bias without ever really giving it a chance.

Nice, did you create your channels yet? Link them when you have so we can start following. What sort of content are you planning to make?

I did, although I don't have any content yet. I've laid all the groundwork, I just need to start streaming and learn how to edit in Premiere so I can upload to youtubs. I have one short video from Blacklight: Retribution that I'm working on. I'll come whore myself out when it's ready. :P In the meantime, if anyone uses Twitter and would like updates (especially re: Twitch.tv streaming, since it automatically tweets when I stream), you can follow me @notryan. The channels for both services are DestroyerOfFeels.

Offline WereVolvo

• IRC Love Butter supplier
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Volvot ulvoo kuun savuun!
    • My personal site
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2013, 07:21:02 pm »
I'm currently doing great. After graduating with a master's degree in computer science and searching for regular employment for half a year, I got a 1 year contract in january as a systems developer with the government, and two months ago I got offered a permanent position :). The work is interesting and challenging from a programming perspective, and I learn a lot from my awesome colleagues. Only downside is I had to move away from my hometown and don't exactly have a large social network up here, but that'll sort itself out, and my new hometown is pretty nice. I've started exercising with colleagues at work, and I'm noticing an improvement in fitness (even if my weight is still around the same, well above where I want it to be).
<@Torp> I have seen your melted pussy!

Real Dwarfs wall themselves in once they are underground, and survive through incest and cat farming.

Offline Viherminttu

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2013, 05:56:45 am »
What is your critter status at the moment? I remember you having quite the collection of pets.

We have 3 cats right now! We moved into a tiny place, so we couldn't have all of the animals, so eventually we just ended up with the kitties, and the rats just ended up breaking my heart.. so yeah.

-

I'm married now! :P
<WereVolvo> moar sid! new album sux! music vid sux! machinae are sellouts! where i find crappack lulz? when is page getting updated? gief moar free songs plx. zomg plz come to the US/UK/Mars/Alpha Centauri! when r u guyz gonna do a tour? i think u shuld come to this festival it wuld be gr8!

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 12:11:17 am »
Catless myself, after doing what's best for the kitties in my last breakup. Miss'em but still get to see them from time to time.