Author Topic: ROADN Interpretations  (Read 3172 times)

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
ROADN Interpretations
« on: October 17, 2012, 01:18:58 am »
For me, working out what each song is about is one of my favourite things about Machinae albums, and this one has been no different. One thing I do have to say though, is on ROADN, a lot of the songs seem a lot easier to work out - is it just me or has anyone else noticed there were less metaphorical songs on this album? Or am I just getting better at reading into the lyrics from spending far too much time reading them?

I shan't ruin everyone's fun with jumping straight in and explaining what I think every song is, I'll leave that to you guys. I do have to say though, I think I have a hell of a theory on Pieces.

Notice how each verse seems to have a different style to it?
There's a "personal" verse, a few verses remind me of Machinae's older lyrical style ("epic/drama-ey" metaphorical stuff),  there's what could be read as an anti-religion verse, there's two anti-corporation verses.. all it's missing is an anti-war verse, right?

It's a song about how we are all made up of these pieces of opinions and views, but that we aren't necessarily our own person, because those pieces are formed by the influence of others around you. In the end though, it's okay that we are all ultimately made up of badly-made jigsaw pieces that don't quite fit together, because there is hope that we can change the world for the better.
More importantly, the way that the song shows us that we are these "pieces" is through each verse being a "piece" of Rob.

Any other interpretations you guys want to put together, feel free to post them in this thread. :)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 01:20:31 am by Fallout »

Offline MashedByMachines

• That guy
  • Community Supporter
  • Skala lök?
    • Music
Re: ROADN Interpretations
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 02:04:06 pm »
I love this interpretation :D

http://mashedbymachines.newgrounds.com/

Believing in a zombieman from outer space who is his own father is pretty funny, but that's not what MaSu is about //yas

Offline Crazywater

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 08:25:30 pm »
For me, working out what each song is about is one of my favourite things about Machinae albums, and this one has been no different. One thing I do have to say though, is on ROADN, a lot of the songs seem a lot easier to work out - is it just me or has anyone else noticed there were less metaphorical songs on this album? Or am I just getting better at reading into the lyrics from spending far too much time reading them?
Didn't you already notice that on the last album?
We're open to such things, we've even talked many times about doing it with Inja, but in a way that's redundant because we can already get Erica
:o brown chicken brown cow :o

Offline Zortel

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 09:14:39 pm »
Less of an interpretation, but my mind links All of My Angels to Ghost (Beneath the Surface) from Redeemer Retail Edition, with the latter coming before the former. Without the person who found who they were beneath all the water/lies, they would be trapped and at risk if they fell back into that old life, turning the water into ice.
"How do you govern a country that seems to have decided that facts are the work of the devil?" - Andy Hamilton
“If you are cold, tea will warm you; if you are too heated, it will cool you; if you are depressed, it will cheer you; if you are excited, it will calm you.” - W. E. Gladstone

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 01:38:28 am »
Didn't you already notice that on the last album?
Probably. Maybe I'm just getting better at reading into the lyrics. I dunno. :)

Offline Wontolla

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 06:47:35 am »
Just popping in to say that "99" is amazing. OWS has led to a lot of protest songs over the last year or so, and... well, they've been hit-or-miss at best. But "99" makes the point it needs to without being too blunt or transparent, and doesn't tie itself to OWS, which means it won't sound dated after the movement dies out. That and it's just awesome.

Offline Crazywater

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 05:59:08 pm »

I think you are. I feel like this one is harder to crack than A View. For example, All of my Angels and Pieces are still a bit of a mystery to me. Plus, I don't know how serious Laser Speed Force is meant to be, it could be just a generic fight song like Hero, but it could also be so over the top, cheesy and ironic that it's meant as criticism (like Rocket Dragon)...
We're open to such things, we've even talked many times about doing it with Inja, but in a way that's redundant because we can already get Erica
:o brown chicken brown cow :o

Offline OmegaVesko

• Gamers' Abode
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 10:51:24 pm »

I think you are. I feel like this one is harder to crack than A View. For example, All of my Angels and Pieces are still a bit of a mystery to me. Plus, I don't know how serious Laser Speed Force is meant to be, it could be just a generic fight song like Hero, but it could also be so over the top, cheesy and ironic that it's meant as criticism (like Rocket Dragon)...

Yeah, a lot of A View is pretty straightforward, I have to say. Way more hidden meanings and metaphors on this one.