Author Topic: ROADN' Fallout style!  (Read 2789 times)

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
ROADN' Fallout style!
« on: October 14, 2012, 11:48:21 pm »
EDIT: I put far too much time into this. Just go order the songs like I say and ignore everything below the track listing if it's TL;DR.

Right, this shit's gonna be controversial but I have to be honest. I love the whole album, and all the songs are great - for me it doesn't really have a "let-down" song, they're all strong in their own rights, but I think there are some flaws with the overall pacing and ordering of a few of the songs that I think stop it from being as good as it could've been.

Below is how I would do it, and I urge you guys to give it a listen to see what I mean, and below that is my explanations as to why I have ordered it in such a way.

1. Republic Of Gamers
2. Laser Speed Force
3. Transgenic
4. All Of My Angels
5. Pieces
6. Battlecry
7. Hero
8. Rise Of A Digital Nation
9. 99

-----

1. I chose this as the first song because it has the most epic "BAM MOTHERFUCKERS WE'RE HERE TO MELT YOUR FACE" feeling to it. This is following on from the same trend as "Elite" and "Overworld" both being self-referential intro songs "You can push but you can't beat us down" / "We made our own way and now we expect some wicked creds" / "We are better than you." Note that I removed the intro song "Cyber Warfare" as it didn't really have a place on the album after I moved ROG to the first track.
2. No other reason other than it fits best here with the starts and beginnings of the track. Also follows on with the "kapow, we're awesome" feeling.
3. This was the only way I could bring the mood down. It's a sudden cut but an album can't melt your face non-stop, there has to be a "grounding" after a high point, and I think this sets the tone for the next few songs.
4. I always thought it was a bit odd to open with an emotion-y song, I don't think it belonged at the start. This song has a real "I Know The Reaper" vibe to it and I felt like you'd need to slowly work your way into the mindset of "allowing" an emotion-y song to affect you. (Think of how on RRE, the song before I Know The Reaper is Rise. Rise is quite a slow downbeat song which prepares you for what is a relatively personal song.)
5. This follows AOMA because of the emotion factor. I'll explain more in a further paragraph.
6. Mood change. Shit just got impersonal.
7. It fits so much better here compared to as the last track! Having Hero as the last track kinda felt a bit.. wrong, to me. It was odd for a Machinae album to end on a high note, as all albums so far have ended on a slow, serious sounding song.
8. I think placing ROADN so far down here was actually mostly due to overlistening - we all do it, and having LSF and ROADN as far away from each other as possible decreases the want to just press the skip button. It also fits here because of the subject matter.
9. Because all Machinae albums end on a serious note. I can't be the only one who wanted it to end here.

-----

A bit more reasoning:
If I were to order the songs on a Machinae album, it would be by three key factors. Those are Mood (energy, happiness, song speed), Personal (if the song is personal or not), and Political (whether it has political connotations). I threw together a little uncomplicated measure of how I see these on ROADN and my track ordering (ROADNFS): http://i.imgur.com/H6awk.png

To visualise that a bit more, I threw together two very shoddily made graphs:

ROADN:

ROADNFS:

I'm not even going to try and smooth the curves on the default track listing because it's all over the place.

My version opens with a bang, then the mood continues on like a sine wave. It warms you into the "personal" songs, then gets to the more serious political side of Machinae.
The old version.. doesn't really appear to have any scheme to it at all - but I'd love to hear Rob's take on why it's ordered the way it is.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 12:06:16 am by Fallout »

Offline Haastrain

• Yes! Yes!
Re: ROADN' Fallout style!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 02:43:31 am »
I'll check this out, but I really like Hero following 99. It goes from the villain to the hero, and it's the perfect ending.

Offline Ziza

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 12:28:35 pm »
I'll check this out, but I really like Hero following 99. It goes from the villain to the hero, and it's the perfect ending.

I tend to disagree. Ending the album on a serious, slow or dark note has always been perfect in case of MaSu; Hero at the very end feels kinda out of place and, IMO, spoils the mood set by 99. Also, in this case, I feel like Hero's end (well, once you cut out the long silence) goes quite well with RoaDN beginning.

I like the alternative order, but I also don't see why Cyber Warfare wouldn't go as the first track. Republic of Gamers is a great opener indeed, but even better with it's intro - such short, instrumental starts are perfect for the real "BAM MOTHERFUCKERS WE'RE HERE TO MELT YOUR FACE" jump-in. Also, All of my Angels feels a bit out of place. Despite being emotional and shit, it still is a dynamic and fast-paced song that best belongs to the album's opening.

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 09:12:28 pm »

I tend to disagree. Ending the album on a serious, slow or dark note has always been perfect in case of MaSu; Hero at the very end feels kinda out of place and, IMO, spoils the mood set by 99. Also, in this case, I feel like Hero's end (well, once you cut out the long silence) goes quite well with RoaDN beginning.

I like the alternative order, but I also don't see why Cyber Warfare wouldn't go as the first track. Republic of Gamers is a great opener indeed, but even better with it's intro - such short, instrumental starts are perfect for the real "BAM MOTHERFUCKERS WE'RE HERE TO MELT YOUR FACE" jump-in. Also, All of my Angels feels a bit out of place. Despite being emotional and shit, it still is a dynamic and fast-paced song that best belongs to the album's opening.

While I kinda agree that it sucks to scrap Cyber Warfare entirely, I disagree that it'd have a place at the start of the album. Pretty much all Machinae albums begin with a badass attitude-y song and RoG fits that description perfectly.

I agree that AoMA's positioning is a little odd - but that's because I found it to be one of the hardest tracks to place. Where do you think it would fit better in your opinion? You're not going to sway me on RoG, so if not as an intro, then where?

Offline Ziza

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 11:00:25 pm »
I agree that AoMA's positioning is a little odd - but that's because I found it to be one of the hardest tracks to place. Where do you think it would fit better in your opinion? You're not going to sway me on RoG, so if not as an intro, then where?

That's the whole point... if it's not the start, I have no idea myself :--)

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 11:07:37 pm »

That's the whole point... if it's not the start, I have no idea myself :--)

Then that's why I put it where I did ;)

Offline MashedByMachines

• That guy
  • Community Supporter
  • Skala lök?
    • Music
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 11:09:08 pm »
I actually agree that the album should have had ended with 99, it just feels like a great album ending :)

http://mashedbymachines.newgrounds.com/

Believing in a zombieman from outer space who is his own father is pretty funny, but that's not what MaSu is about //yas

Offline OmegaVesko

• Gamers' Abode
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 11:54:03 pm »
Yeah, that I have to agree with myself. Ending the album with Hero just seems.. wrong, somehow.

I like that it starts with AoMA, though. The opening notes are just pure MaSu awesomeness.

Offline Crazywater

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 06:16:22 pm »
I didn't like that the album ends with Hero instead of 99 at first either, but now that I've thought about it some more, I feel like Hero is "the answer" to 99, and it's really cool to end the album like that.
We're open to such things, we've even talked many times about doing it with Inja, but in a way that's redundant because we can already get Erica
:o brown chicken brown cow :o