Author Topic: Discovered a new band? Use this to see if the rest of their songs are good.  (Read 3704 times)

Offline OmegaVesko

• Gamers' Abode
http://tothebestof.com/

Lets you listen to the top 10 songs of just about every band in existence. Very useful if you've only heard one song and can't be arsed to check the last.fm ratings.

Offline Aeon

Hm, interesting. Let's see what it returns when I ask about that one pretty neat band from Sweden I know...

1. Edge and Pearl
2. Gimme More
3. Dark City
4. Gimme More (again... what?)
5. Rocket Dragon
6. Need for Steve
7. Force Feedback
8. A View From the End of the World
9. Nova Prospekt
10. Skin

Yeah, I can agree with that.
I don't really use Last.fm. Does it generate a top10 rank according to ratings from that site? That's very cool.
No more WoW references. WoW is evil.

Offline OmegaVesko

• Gamers' Abode
Yeah, it pulls the rankings from last.fm and just embeds Grooveshark players based on that. Last.fm generates the rankings based on the number of listens, if I remember correctly.

Hadou

This is awesome. Trying it out with some bands I already love, to see if I agree, and also checking some new artists. I might bookmark this, thanks!|

Offline Digital0verl0rd

• Leet
Hm, interesting. Let's see what it returns when I ask about that one pretty neat band from Sweden I know...

1. Edge and Pearl
2. Gimme More
3. Dark City
5. Rocket Dragon
6. Need for Steve
7. Force Feedback
9. Nova Prospekt
10. Skin

I don't really use Last.fm. Does it generate a top10 rank according to ratings from that site? That's very cool.

I can not agree on this, where the hell is stuff from DXM or Redeemer? I'm not saying, that these songs sux, but this list is completely fucked up from my point of view.

Offline Ziza

1. Edge and Pearl
2. Gimme More
3. Dark City
5. Rocket Dragon
6. Need for Steve
7. Force Feedback
9. Nova Prospekt
10. Skin

I can not agree on this, where the hell is stuff from DXM or Redeemer? I'm not saying, that these songs sux, but this list is completely fucked up from my point of view.

It's simply the most popular among the whole Last.fm community. Don't expect random people to be interested in anything older than Overworld. Check out the other bands / artists - most of the things you get are the songs you hear on the radio.

This is actually pretty much the same as any simple YouTube search... only with 90% of the noise you'd normally get there filtered :)

Offline OmegaVesko

• Gamers' Abode

1. Edge and Pearl
2. Gimme More
3. Dark City
5. Rocket Dragon
6. Need for Steve
7. Force Feedback
9. Nova Prospekt
10. Skin

The rankings are based on the number of listens on last.fm. It's not like last.fm has a script to determine how good a song is, just how popular it is.

Offline Digital0verl0rd

• Leet

It's simply the most popular among the whole Last.fm community. Don't expect random people to be interested in anything older than Overworld. Check out the other bands / artists - most of the things you get are the songs you hear on the radio.

This is actually pretty much the same as any simple YouTube search... only with 90% of the noise you'd normally get there filtered :)

Ah yes, of course, but it's still shame, that people don't know how great and epic are the older releases. :)

Hadou

Ah yes, of course, but it's still shame, that people don't know how great and epic are the older releases. :)

Probably because those people listened to them mostly before they were on last.fm? I dunno, I don't even use the site.

Offline Wheim

I like the site. Its like youtubing, but smoother and cuts trough the crap :p

Of course, most popular is not always best, but this gives a decent enough starting point for most artists I think.

Offline Member

• http://araki-member.uw.hu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVWuiJ4FGrk

Similar to MaSu, but NES sounding.

Offline MarioMaster100

• Atari & arcade music formed my chiptune love.

Signature and avatar credits to: MFreak and others from n-forums.com