Author Topic: Television - no it isn't all crap  (Read 3357 times)

Offline Caranfin

Television - no it isn't all crap
« on: September 28, 2012, 12:36:58 am »
What TV, apart from your favourite cartoons from the mystical east that is, do you people watch? Any good ones you can recommend? Any terrible ones you think everyone should stay away from? Why?

I should probably just go ahead and confess that I only did this thread so I could tell all of you who haven't already to watch The Wire because it is the best, and also to tell all of you who have watched The Wire to tell WereVolvo to watch it since I've been nagging him about it for weeks and he still hasn't watched the bloody series.

I guess Doctor Who, Sherlock, and Game of Thrones are pretty good as well.

And Monty Python's Flying Circus, Blackadder, A Bit of Fry and Laurie, and all of the classic british comedy shows obviously. Speaking of humour, everyone watch Quite Interesting because it is hilarious despite being a quiz and not a sketch comedy show.

And I'm sure all of you know Firefly is amazing and should be watched.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 01:18:29 am by Caranfin »

Offline Moheeheeko

• Stick 'em with the pointy end.
Re: Television - no it isn't all crap
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 12:52:38 am »
japanimation

TWITCH

Sorry, everything just flashed red for a second.

All I ever watch anymore are what dvd's I own, one of which being Firefly, but im sure you allready know about that.

....does anyone else smell pennies or is that just me?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 12:55:10 am by Moheeheeko »

"Jesus Christ, or so I have been led to believe from the revelations he has apparently made on this forum, fucks kittens. Or possibly cats."-Fiindil

Offline Caranfin

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 01:18:52 am »
Better now? :P

Also, you should watch The Wire.

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Armoured Tanks of Mass Destruction
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 01:24:46 am »
Having only seen random episodes before, I recently started watching Star Trek - The Next Generation back to back. I am almost through the first season, just 6 more to go...

Also, a friend recently showed me Being Human, a BBC show about a vampire, a werewolf and a ghost living together and trying to adapt to human society. Have only seen a few episodes so far, but I feel it really stands out from a lot of other vampire-themed shows in that it makes it quite clear that unlife sucks donkey balls.
"Actually, wooden stakes are for vampires. Wooden steaks are for vegetarians."

Offline Caranfin

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 10:45:51 am »
I've got to confess I don't think I've ever watched Star Trek. It's like I have this huge hole in my nerd culture and I'm not sure if I care about filling it very much. Someone convince me that Star Trek is a good series and worth watching, thanks.

Hey, is anyone else excited for the upcoming BBC show about the Ankh Morpork Night Watch in Terry Pratchett's Discworld? Because all of you should be excited as fuck. It'll have 13 1-hour serials with a $3 million budget for each, with pterry himself, his daughter Rhianna, and some dude named Guy Burt, who is a screenwriter and apparently a long-time Pratchett fan, as showrunners.

And since neither of you seemed terribly excited about The Wire, I guess I'm going to have to say something other than "it is the best" about it, huh? I thought I was terribly late on the bandwagon and everyone and their mom had already watched the show! Here's the deal:

The Wire is an HBO crime drama set in Baltimore, but just calling it a crime drama is a pretty huge disservice to the show so I'm going to elaborate. It is a seriously and frighteningly intelligent show that presents serious real problems in the system in a mature and brutally believable way, without presenting clear or easy ways to handle any of them. Each of the five seasons focuses on a different aspect of the city: drugs, the seaport system (and smuggling), city government and general bureaucracy, the school system, and the print news media.

In addition to the generally very honest-seeming way the show presents the large problems it deals with, it also has extremely well-written characters with layers and layers of personality, motivations, and preferences. All of the acting is top notch. Every single part of it. It is absolutely mind-boggling how the show can have such a huge cast and still keep all of the personalities distinct and believable.

Here's Charlie Brooker on The Wire, you should watch it if you aren't already convinced. (He calls it possibly the best tv show of the last 20 years).

Offline Immanio_2

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 02:51:15 pm »
I watch very little TV, or movies for that matter. Hard to find time inbetween gaming, work and gaming. I bought my parents The Wire for christmas a few years back, and it definitely is great. I borrowed it when they were done watching it, but I've only watched the first 2 seasons, just because I very rarely take the time to sit down and just watch something. I also bought the first season of Game of Thrones when it was released on BluRay, but I haven't watched more than the first episode yet. I did get around to watching The Pacific, but I think that was mostly because I was had pneumonia a year back and even sitting at the computer was too tiresome... And then there are the movies I buy that never reach the screen...

What I have watched quite a lot of, though, are British panel shows, mostly on Youtube. The aforementioned QI is one of them, but also Mock the Week, Have I got News for You, some Never Mind the Buzzcocks, Would I Lie to You and 8 out of 10 Cats.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 03:15:56 pm by Immanio_2 »

Offline Caranfin

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 04:29:07 pm »
Do any of those panel shows (apart from QI of course) feature Stephen Fry? Because Stephen Fry - and his magnificent interaction with Alan Davies - is a completely integral part of why I enjoy QI so damn much. And how did you like the second season of The Wire? It seems quite a few people greatly prefer season 1 due to the inner city setting being more relatable than the whole shipyard thing, but I felt some of the characters in season 2 were a ton more compelling than most of Barksdale's people in season 1. Plus, if I remember right, season 2 also had a better view of the bureaucracy bullshit in the police department.

Offline Blastyr

• Level 80 Lurker
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Geek it 'til it MHz.
    • blastyr.net
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 01:08:39 am »
I really only watch two shows that are currently airing: Castle and Fringe. Both are excellent, the latter former in no small part due to the lead being played by Nathan Fillion. Captain Malcolm Reynolds even has a cameo in a Halloween episode. You should be shot if you don't know who that is.

I plan to eventually get around to watching Doctor Who and Game of Thrones. I'm currently watching back seasons of The Big Bang Theory and will fold it into my weekly watching routine when I'm finally caught up.

I was watching Leverage, but I'm way behind at this point. I stopped watching when I had my car accident and never got around to picking it back up. I should fix that.

EDIT: D'oh! >.< Nathan Fillion isn't in Fringe. Oops.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 03:18:19 pm by Blastyr »
Now re-engaging lurk mode.

Offline megashroom°

• Things!
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 12:00:39 am »
Stephen Fry! I'd marry that man.
Watching Fry's Planet Word at the moment. And QI whenever there is any time to spare.
Seriously not watching anything on the actual TV at all though, such a stupid time sink of horribad crap. I'm done with it.

Offline Cerapter

• 100% Recycled
    • Home
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 01:10:48 pm »
Sometimes I re-watch Babylon 5.
Just close your eyes and keep your mind wide open.

Offline gaijin

• Hiding behind the couch
  • Community Supporter
  • "You sound like the Morning Star"
    • Motljus
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 05:25:51 pm »
Sometimes I re-watch Babylon 5.

Doing that now.
Oi, is this when I get a huge sig-image, start whining about "moar sid" and make nonsensical arguments to no good?

Offline mumppis

• I Know The mumppis
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2012, 06:22:55 pm »

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Armoured Tanks of Mass Destruction
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 01:19:53 am »
ST:TNG season 1 down, 6 to go!
"Actually, wooden stakes are for vampires. Wooden steaks are for vegetarians."

Offline Blastyr

• Level 80 Lurker
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Geek it 'til it MHz.
    • blastyr.net
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 03:39:29 pm »
Approximately every 18 months, I get the urge to go back and watch all ten seasons of Stargate SG-1 and continuing through The Ark of Truth and Continuum. This then has a chance to trigger an itch to watch all five seasons of Stargate Atlantis.
Now re-engaging lurk mode.

Offline Zortel

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2012, 12:12:32 pm »
Currently watching Continuum (the Canadian one, I think there's another one floating about out there) and really enjoying it, glad they're coming back for a second season. Castle Season 5 (Stupid Presidential debates getting in the way of my Fillion fix), just finished watching Series 4 of the UK Political comedy/drama The Thick of It, and gritty police mini-series Good Cop.

Regular watcher of comedy panel shows in the UK such as Never Mind the Buzzcocks, Mock the Week, QI, Have I Got News For You, 8 out of 10 Cats and so forth.

On DVD, re-watching Firefly, Blake's 7, Outcasts, Survivor, Yes Minister, The Good Life, Mutant X and various animated series every so often.
"How do you govern a country that seems to have decided that facts are the work of the devil?" - Andy Hamilton
“If you are cold, tea will warm you; if you are too heated, it will cool you; if you are depressed, it will cheer you; if you are excited, it will calm you.” - W. E. Gladstone