Author Topic: Websites  (Read 2783 times)

Offline Crimzen

• Sending You Positive Energy!
    • Sleeping Awake
Websites
« on: September 15, 2012, 11:29:06 pm »
So I'm trying to create my own website for my own nerdom. And I was trying to see how I could incorporate Wordpress, a forum, and a way for people to register on my site. Either create little accounts and have their own Member area or for them to be able to log in and post things using their Facebook, Twitter, or Google+

Now I have barely any knowledge on this. I've started to use 000webhost as my free alternative since at the moment I can't afford to get my own hosting. It seems to be very good and doesn't slow down or drag. Very nice so far. I know some HTML and basic CSS. I used a free template to start my site and just tweaked it to the way I wanted it to look and feel. I'm just having problems trying to figure out how to make my Wordpress blogs pop up in my News tab, create a forum and integrate it with the site, and make it possible for my friends to sign up on the site and have their own special profiles and such.

EDIT: Oh yes here's what I've created so far to see what I've done: http://therogueworld.netai.net/

Any helpful hints tips or possibly anyone want to help me figure it out is welcome!

Offline OmegaVesko

• Gamers' Abode
Re: Websites
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 12:34:52 am »
I'd keep a backup of that if I were you. 000webhost are known for deleting sites for absolutely no reason.

Offline Crimzen

• Sending You Positive Energy!
    • Sleeping Awake
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 01:02:35 am »
Oh snap , thank you for the information, I definitely will ;)

Offline Blastyr

• Level 80 Lurker
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Geek it 'til it MHz.
    • blastyr.net
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 10:00:54 am »
This is going to sound like an ad, so let me just say this: I am in no way affiliated with SMF.

Simple Machines Forum is pretty awesome. It's what's running here and I've administered several installations of it in the past. Pretty simple to set up yourself, and the package manager allows you to easily customize your forum with modifications to create your own unique experience, all without touching a single line of the PHP it's all built in. Along with mods, a massive library of themes exist to visually differentiate your community. Alternatively, you can duplicate the default one and modify it to match your site.

Now, I don't know much about Wordpress, but there's probably some kind of module or plugin for it that can interface with SMF. If not, you can probably build your own on top of SMF's included SSI library. The library itself is written in PHP, but as I understand it, you can elect to access it with HTML using server-side includes. The syntax for that looks a bit funky to me, but that's probably because I'm just used to using PHP for all my server-side scripting.

If you don't know PHP, but wanna learn, the online documentation at PHP.net is thorough. For starting out or a quick basic reference, though, W3Schools has a section on PHP. If you use Chrome, a really good extension to install is PHP Ninja Manual, which is very handy for quickly searching the PHP.net docs for things like function syntax.

If you go with SMF for your forum software, I'm also available to help out there and could probably write some code to get Wordpress to pull information through the SSI library if necessary. But, like I said, there might be a plugin or whatever for that already.
Now re-engaging lurk mode.

Offline OmegaVesko

• Gamers' Abode
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 05:44:01 pm »
You make some good points, but I have to disagree on a few of them. Personally I think PHPBB is the more mature forum solution, has several Wordpress integration plugins, as well as all of the features you mentioned. Then again, I may be biased myself, having administered several PHPBB-based forums.

Also, W3Schools is incredibly bad. http://w3fools.com/

Offline Blastyr

• Level 80 Lurker
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Geek it 'til it MHz.
    • blastyr.net
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 12:45:58 am »
I'll admit I'm a bit biased toward SMF myself. The first board I administered was phpBB, and I confess I've not really touched it since then as an admin or a user. It's probably much improved by now, but I still feel SMF's package management system makes it a much more flexible system. Of course, if you're down with manually installing your mods using a text editor like we had to back in the days of phpBB 2, then this point is utterly moot. There is also something to be said for "getting your hands dirty," as it were; it kind of forces you to get more familiar with the code behind the board.

OmegaVesko also points out something I probably should have mentioned: do not rely on W3Schools as your end-all reference for W3 languages (HTML, CSS, etc). His link explains why. The small bit of PHP documentation they have seems to be accurate, though. You should be fine if, for example, you did some drinking the night before and you can't for the life of you remember the syntax of explode() and you need to look it up quickly.

...What? I drink. A lot. I'm of age and I don't drive afterward. Leavemealone.
Now re-engaging lurk mode.