Author Topic: Rise of a Digital Nation: Play by play  (Read 18803 times)

Offline robert

• Baka
  • Band Member
  • \,,/_(o-O)_,,i,.
    • Machinae Supremacy
Rise of a Digital Nation: Play by play
« on: September 03, 2012, 12:31:33 am »
All of my angels
A tribute to the ones that keep us sane in this lackluster world. Heavy, epic and melodic. This is also Nicky's composing debut in Machinae Supremacy.

Laser Speed Force
Some really sweet retro-high-five in this one, but I would describe it as more of an Amiga/Atari-era influence, not 8bit. It has a chord-synth strike (much like the one heard in Shinigami and Overworld) that catapults your mind straight into your run-of-the-mill 16bit scene demo. It also features Jonne on lead vocals on the verses. And a chorus without guitars. :)
Also, fukkin. a. zum. guitar solo. Will melt your face. </disclaimer>.

Transgenic
This track is very heavy and sports some non-melodic rhythmic synth stuff going on in the background that in and of itself is one of the hooks in this song. It has a chorus that is quite unlike any previous Machinae Supremacy song. We're expanding our already genre-transcendant sound into a new realm, whatever this realm is. This song has Jonne's best solo (in MY opinion) on this album (however this one is not of the kind that melts faces). Some really sweet bass-lines by Gordon on this one, too.

"What of those of us who can see, are we something different?"

Rise of a Digital Nation
A direct sequel to Force Feedback (although musically I don't think they are very similar). It's a fight song about the net and what we would do to keep it as it is. Gordon says that this song is the ideal Machinae Supremacy track because it has everything you'd want to show off when introducing Machinae Supremacy to someone new.

"All eyes on me; gather all who believe,
     though far apart, united by heart. "

Pieces
Every Machinae Supremacy album has got to have an all-out pop song and I guess for this album, this is it. Originally meant to be on A View From The End of The World but got pushed to this album because View already had its fair share of pop songs. Features Jonne's personal favorite amongst all guitar solos on this album. :) I love how there's always a version of the main motif going on in the background of this track at any given moment.

"Pieces of us always in bloom,
     covering the walls of empty rooms.
     Pieces of your soul sealed in this tomb,
     by others' influence on you."

Cyber Warfare
Instrumental track, heavy, industrial elements, and some blippy-bloppies of course :)

Republic of Gamers
Fast riffs and verses with a brutally catchy and melodic chorus. SID-solo by me and Nicky. :) We did this song for ASUS (they sent us a bunch of computers in exchange) and hence the name (Republic of Gamers is one of their product lines). It's about gaming and one specific thing I've realized that makes the gaming community even more fab: Amongst gamers, the only thing that matters is your skill (a word best applicable for FPS games, but it's true across the board – and you get what I mean). If you're good, no one will bash you for being gay, black or a woman in your average gamer community. And that makes it a pretty unique realm on our planet. This song shines a light on that and applauds it.

"We are all equals here, and we fight for dominion tonight.
     We don't ask color, race or creed,
     dedicated, free-for-all."

Battlecry
Dubstep? Seriously though, I don't think I've ever sounded quite as whisky-angry as I do here (no it's not screamo – stop requesting it). Catchy chorus and a really intense and beautiful bridge leading up to the song's ending. Features Gordon on backing vocals – first time ever. :)

This is the softest and slowest song on this album. Features a beautiful SID-lead bridge that will bring those of you who remember those days back to a feeling of RTS game menu or title music. I guess there's almost an asian vibe to this song at times, albeit discrete. Hashtag? #occupy

Hero
You all know this song. We have been talking about re-recording it for years because good as it is, we think the old version has just horrible sound (and kinda shitty vocals from me, also, tbh), and we have finally done it, and added a bit more just to lift the live experience of this song a little.

It's my job to keep SID elite.

---

<WereVolvo> you can't brain today, you have the dumb?

Offline Digital0verl0rd

• Leet
Re: Rise of a Digital Nation: Play by play
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 12:38:27 am »
Jonne on lead vocals on the verses - DAMN

This song has Jonne's best solo - DAMN

A direct sequel to Force Feedback - DAAAAAAMN

Instrumental track - DAMN, FUCK YEAH

We did this song for ASUS - DAMN

Features Gordon on backing vocals – first time ever.  - D.A.M.N.

an asian vibe - damn, I'm almost crying as I read this

Hero - yeah, I'm crying

The Best Band In The Fucking Universe

Offline MashedByMachines

• That guy
  • Community Supporter
  • Skala lök?
    • Music
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 01:03:39 am »
There is so much WIN in this that I can't even think of something to say.....    :-* I'm absolutely HYPED TO THE MAX!

I'm throwing money at my screen but nothing is happening. Let me have it naaaoo aaaaaragghhllghgh!

http://mashedbymachines.newgrounds.com/

Believing in a zombieman from outer space who is his own father is pretty funny, but that's not what MaSu is about //yas

Offline Crazywater

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 01:15:12 am »
Sold. This sounds so awesome =) I'm excited like a child before christmas or something :D

blippy-bloppies

I absolutely read that in robert's voice.
We're open to such things, we've even talked many times about doing it with Inja, but in a way that's redundant because we can already get Erica
:o brown chicken brown cow :o

Offline Trollf

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 01:33:12 am »
Whoa, I'm glad I didn't do the sensible thing, aka sleep, and instead check in here. #overwhelmed

All my Angels - I love the premise. And composed by the drummer could lead to...interesting results.

Laser Speed Force - Moar chord-synth-strikes, yes please! Sounds like Jonne went all out on this one

Transgenic - Is this where you go public with your long-rumored transhumanism? My sensible music lover facet is most excited about this one, I strongly believe you have reinvented music here. Please say there will be a bass solo!

Rise of a Digital Nation - I don't usually introduce you with just one song. I prefer a locked room with disc+webography on repeat...on the other hand if this is true this song will, of course, be awesome.

Pieces - Is this the wonderful, mysterious ballad that was dropped from AVftEoTW? Or am I mixing it up here...was that One Day in the Universe?

Cyber Warfare - I wonder if it will contain the sound of jets and/or guns

Republic of Gamers - sellout? I'm pretty sure the whole gaming thing ain't all that rosy (4chan anyone?), but then again most music is about ideals, and awesomeness is the important factor here

Battlecry - Catchy whisky-angry SIDstep with a touch of Gordon and endless beautiful bridges, I hope you go beyond too far here. Just one request.
Never do screamo.

99 - For some reason this is the song that keeps playing in my head now, even if "99" is the only thing I can make out from the lyrics, and the real song is 99% certain to be better

Hero 2.0 - "shitty" is not the right word, "worse than present" is more fitting ( if that passes for proper English...) We all know this one and you couldn't possibly screw it up

Thanks for this year's play-by-play, it sure is a great way to flesh out what we're looking forward to, and why. Better than just releasing a teaser song IMO and part of what sets Machinae Supremacy apart from other bands.
No wait, cancel last transmission, can we have a teaser now pretty please?  ;)
Problem?

Offline KidMachinate

• No danger? No regrets.
    • Video Gaming Hard Corps
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 01:34:06 am »
There is so much WIN in this that I can't even think of something to say.....    :-* I'm absolutely HYPED TO THE MAX!

I'm throwing money at my screen but nothing is happening. Let me have it naaaoo aaaaaragghhllghgh!

Very much agreed. Now we know that much more about one of three different offerings from MaSu coming, and tidbits of what will be on album 6. SOOOO MUCH MUSIC! I'm perfectly okay with this.

Oh, and I like Rob's screamo comment. Next person that says suggests that should be punched in the face. We listen to MaSu to get away from that repetitive nonsense.

Offline Repneiras

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 03:46:03 am »
This is the softest and slowest song on this album. Features a beautiful SID-lead bridge that will bring those of you who remember those days back to a feeling of RTS game menu or title music. I guess there's almost an asian vibe to this song at times, albeit discrete. Hashtag? #occupy

Woot, I can see where this song is going. But #fukdapoliceandorrichbitches would've been a better hashtag.

Offline MarioMaster100

• Atari & arcade music formed my chiptune love.
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 05:40:59 am »
Can't wait for the album, pre-ordering ASAP. I'm not a dubstep fan but I'm sure you guys' version of dubstep probably sounds amazing and not at all like dubstep, you guys have never disappointed me yet :)

Edit: ordered :)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 11:16:30 pm by MarioMaster100 »

Signature and avatar credits to: MFreak and others from n-forums.com

Offline Tritox

• Nuuh
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 06:57:02 am »
Mmmm, interesting setting indeed. Though if the track times from the other thread are correct, it's a quite short album compared with View for instance. However, short isn't always bad so lets see what you chumps have baked this time :)

E: Oh, and pre-ordered the album already of course.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 07:03:39 am by Tritox »

Offline Member

• http://araki-member.uw.hu
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 09:53:10 am »
Waiting for Battlecry! Maybe it's a bit like War Angel (it was hard as hell)? :)

Offline LymphoCite_T

• SiteDeveloper
    • visit me at youtube!
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 01:36:39 pm »
Battlecry
Features Gordon on backing vocals – first time ever. :)

first time ever.

i assume it's a lie.

let's check what Gordon answers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&list=UUEjdRA6Vx5Okbep0B1peWlg&v=l02I3eNQAZg#t=85s

:D
:):):)

Hadou

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 02:04:29 pm »
Everyone has already said the stuff that I would say, so I'm just gonna go ahead and say I love that you're completely ruling out screamo.

no it's not screamo – stop requesting it

Oh, and I like Rob's screamo comment. Next person that says suggests that should be punched in the face. We listen to MaSu to get away from that repetitive nonsense.

Yay.

EDIT: LOL LYMPHO. "It's a lie!"
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 02:06:20 pm by Hadou »

Offline Member

• http://araki-member.uw.hu
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 04:59:40 pm »
Of you think its "repetitive nonsense", you were listening to the wrong bands.

Offline Zortel

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2012, 05:48:52 pm »
All delicious sounding. I'll wait to hear them all in a long sit-down session that may require new headphones. The last time an album of  yours arrived I remember carrying it to my PC with trembling hands, and sitting for the duration pumping that MaSu sound into my brain.
"How do you govern a country that seems to have decided that facts are the work of the devil?" - Andy Hamilton
“If you are cold, tea will warm you; if you are too heated, it will cool you; if you are depressed, it will cheer you; if you are excited, it will calm you.” - W. E. Gladstone

Offline Crimzen

• Sending You Positive Energy!
    • Sleeping Awake
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2012, 07:39:47 pm »
I like screamo but only for the screamo bands I listen too. Don't mix screamo in my MaSu lol. That's just something I don't want.

This is quite a short album. I miss the long epicness of say Empire and dare I mention Trinity!!! But I digress. MaSu will still put forth quality that I must have :)

It was mentioned in the other thread but. Rob talked about a track being on the sixth album. So plans for that are already underway for the next album after RoaDN, so.... my curiosity is getting the best of me. Could this be a double album? Like a 2 parter and we'll see the next (sixth) album later in the year or early next year? Just a random thought of mine :D