Author Topic: OUYA: New Gaming Console, Hackers Welcome  (Read 2753 times)

Offline Crimzen

• Sending You Positive Energy!
    • Sleeping Awake
OUYA: New Gaming Console, Hackers Welcome
« on: July 13, 2012, 06:26:59 pm »
This looks very interesting, has anyone seen this yet? I'm kind of excited about this:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
Re: OUYA: New Gaming Console, Hackers Welcome
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 07:35:49 pm »
It's exciting, but I'm a little anxious given the quality of a lot of games on Android currently. It's not like it has very good hardware, so I'm a bit skeptical of how substantial the things it can put out will be. Indie devs have proven me wrong before, though.
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline Crimzen

• Sending You Positive Energy!
    • Sleeping Awake
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 09:25:08 am »
Yeah I'm skeptical too. But it's for sure interesting. And I hope it's as 'customizable' as they say. Down the road if it ends up being something nifty, it'll still have the 99 dollar price tag. But to jump in on it early means you get a founders emblem by your username.... God no impulse buying! Bad bad... lol

Offline Wheim

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 11:29:12 am »
Definitively interesting, but yea, I remain skeptical, for three reasons:
- The quality of games they will be getting (although, as its hackable, you could turn it into any emulator you want I guess).
- Developing a decent game console is expensive. Really goddamn expensive, I doubt they can do it with kickstarter-funding alone, even if they got 5M from there. They will never be able to sell this for $99.
- Major gaming companies will see it as a threat and sue them for the smallest things
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 11:31:51 am by Wheim »

Hadou

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 05:34:49 pm »
Definitively interesting, but yea, I remain skeptical, for three reasons:
- The quality of games they will be getting (although, as its hackable, you could turn it into any emulator you want I guess).
- Developing a decent game console is expensive. Really goddamn expensive, I doubt they can do it with kickstarter-funding alone, even if they got 5M from there. They will never be able to sell this for $99.
- Major gaming companies will see it as a threat and sue them for the smallest things

http://youtu.be/Uya2-w_chUY

I haven't seen that last point covered, that will be interesting.

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Armoured Tanks of Mass Destruction
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 07:48:26 pm »
I smell vaporware.
"Actually, wooden stakes are for vampires. Wooden steaks are for vegetarians."

Offline WilllemNL

• Terra Solus
    • Xboxworld - All the news on Xbox 360 in Dutch!
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 12:50:23 am »
I kinda liked the idea at first.

And then I found they're doing Kickstarter funding AND other external funding. That's really lame.  :P

Oh, and I think this is doomed to fail.

Offline Ziza

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 11:22:23 am »
I smell vaporware.

The thing about Kickstarter (at least as far as I know - correct me if I'm wrong) is that you are actually not obliged in any way to do anything you promised. And, you keep the money (it's all kinda like politics, now that I think of it).

While I really love the idea, it's worth noticing that yeah - developing a fully functional game console might STILL be too expensive for them.

On the other hand, making a good-looking video and keeping the hype up with blog posts etc. definitely pays for 5 million dollars :---)

Offline WilllemNL

• Terra Solus
    • Xboxworld - All the news on Xbox 360 in Dutch!
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 12:00:36 pm »
About Kickstarter, can you really keep the money when you do not fulfill promises made?

So for instance, if I wanted a lot of money, I'd post this insane concept online that people will love. I make videos and updates. And if it works and I reach my goal, I can keep the money and not do anything with it?

Offline Ziza

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 01:10:52 pm »
There is no guarantee that people that post projects on Kickstarter will deliver on their projects, use the money to implement their projects, or that the completed projects will meet backers expectations, and Kickstarter itself has been accused of providing little quality control.(13)(14)(15) Kickstarter advises sponsors to use their own judgment on supporting a project. They also warn project leaders that they could be liable for legal damages from sponsors for failure to deliver on promises.(16) Projects can also fail even after a successful fund raise when creators underestimate the total costs required or technical difficulties to be overcome.(13)(17)

So, guys, time to come up with some awesome idea, make few millions and disappear, who's with me?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 12:08:38 am by Ziza »

Offline machinaeFREAK

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 09:00:21 pm »
There is no guarantee that people that post projects on Kickstarter will deliver on their projects, use the money to implement their projects, or that the completed projects will meet backers expectations, and Kickstarter itself has been accused of providing little quality control.(13)(14)(15) Kickstarter advises sponsors to use their own judgment on supporting a project. They also warn project leaders that they could be liable for legal damages from sponsors for failure to deliver on promises.(16) Projects can also fail even after a successful fund raise when creators underestimate the total costs required or technical difficulties to be overcome.(13)(17)

So, guys, time go go out with some awesome idea, make few millions and disappear, who's with me?

I am! Let us fulfill our destinies as evil geniuses.

"The way of the ninja is the way of life, when lightning strikes once a ninja strikes twice"

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 07:42:04 pm »
About Kickstarter, can you really keep the money when you do not fulfill promises made?

So for instance, if I wanted a lot of money, I'd post this insane concept online that people will love. I make videos and updates. And if it works and I reach my goal, I can keep the money and not do anything with it?

You can still be sued by the people whose money you've taken. Kickstarter simply ceases to be a mediator between you and the customer.
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline Shalinar

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 01:57:16 am »
- Developing a decent game console is expensive. Really goddamn expensive, I doubt they can do it with kickstarter-funding alone, even if they got 5M from there. They will never be able to sell this for $99...

Hmm, What do you think now that theyve raised over 8.5M? Assuming they dont actually just take the money and run away to switzerland, I think it could definitely happen.