Author Topic: Creative Writing  (Read 4626 times)

Offline Crimzen

• Sending You Positive Energy!
    • Sleeping Awake
Creative Writing
« on: April 04, 2012, 10:17:24 am »
Could be anything really. I have been writing for quite a while off and on. Stories that remain incomplete. So I decided to start writing short stories instead of trying to write a whole fantasy epic. It seems to work better for me. I think. Here's my first attempt at writing something different out of my element of fantasy/sci-fi. Let me know what you think. This could be utter crap idk:

http://luckyhour.wordpress.com/2012/04/02/the-dream/

Offline gaijin

• Hiding behind the couch
  • Community Supporter
  • "You sound like the Morning Star"
    • Motljus
Re: Creative Writing
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 07:26:02 pm »
Gonna read yours later, just thought I'd drop this here: http://www.verbali.se/?p=655
Oi, is this when I get a huge sig-image, start whining about "moar sid" and make nonsensical arguments to no good?

Offline Crimzen

• Sleeping Awake
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 11:52:02 am »
Gonna read yours later, just thought I'd drop this here: http://www.verbali.se/?p=655

I really enjoyed that story gaijin. I'm hoping to write some short stories. Starting with the one I originally posted. I'm curious to read more and if you have more writings (I'm exploring your blog right now). I just hope that I can spread some enjoyment and entertainment out of my stories and not useless crap. I can't wait to hear your review on my post.

Also... sorry for getting heated with you in other threads. I definitely wasn't trying to ruffle feathers or make you agitated at all.

Offline machinaeFREAK

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 03:28:15 pm »
I've tried to make a fantasy-like story but can't seem to get any further than a few passages describing bits of the story. It's not posted on any website, though. Here are a few examples:

'The whirring blades of the enormous, cylindrical mace he held in his hands were yelling with unholy screeches, as if coming from a dimension were hope and good were ideals long lost to a terrible evil.'

‘A new challenge perhaps? The young man looked not like a warrior; he cursed and mocked him, as if trying to compensate for his meager looks. 'YOU! YOU ARE MY NEMESIS! YOU HOLD SOMETHING DEAR TO ME, WARRIOR!' He shouted. 'COME AND TASTE MY BLADE!' The Warrior grew tired of such 'challenges'.

'Come then, if you seek death so eagerly' he said. The young man charged him, shouting insults even as he
drew his blade. The Warrior looked tired. Tired of all the battle, conflict and fights. With a deep sigh, he drew a zweihander from his cloak, it's mechanical appearance as complex as it looked ancient. He readied his blade, and when the young man had finally reached him, he parried his first attack as easy as a book crushes a spider.

'Last chance to retreat, boy.' 'NEVER! YOU WILL DIE BY MY HAND, I SWEAR!' 'Your choice, you rotting piece of fecal matter.' The Warrior's fist met the young man's abdomen with an almighty blow, causing him to stumble and vomit. The Warrior raised his sword, almost as if doubting his actions; but then it landed, along with the terrible sound of a man being decapitated.'

'Cain cleaned his blade after the beheading of the young man. Never he had liked how they, his enemies, stained his weapons with their filthy peasant blood. Not his fault that they chose to attack him, he thought to himself.
Even though he replaced his weapons as quickly as he drew them from the shadowy dimension, he could never make peace with the fact that they always were dirty at the end of the day.'

Those are a few passages, any advice is always welcome :D
"The way of the ninja is the way of life, when lightning strikes once a ninja strikes twice"

Offline Caranfin

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 01:41:13 am »
I hardly have any experience in creative writing outside of tabletop RPGs (which would mostly fall under improvisational acting anyway, I guess), but I'm interested in starting out. Do you guys have any resources on general story-crafting stuff like structure and whatever? I recently saw this book advertised somewhere else, and it seems like a good read.

I find maintaining unique, interesting, and believable characters to be the biggest challenge for me in RPGs, and I think that challenge should generally be the same for both mediums. Mainly, making sure that all characters have their own personality, motivations, morals, and all that. So, a few questions for the writers in here. Do you use any specific process for characters, like "think of at least three distinct personality features for every character"? Come to think of it, why do you write? Do your stories usually have an interesting theme or philosophy you wish to explore, or a point you want to make? Or do you just write for entertainment? Also, do you have any annoying traits you would like to avoid, like overusing a pet phrase, and how do you try to avoid it?

As I said, my experience of the subject is limited. Still, I'll be sure to read through all of the stuff linked in this thread and offer my uneducated opinions.

Offline Crimzen

• Sleeping Awake
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 04:53:57 am »
@machinaeFREAK: I really like those small clips. Especially the Cain one. It reminded me a bit of Legacy of Kain, was it inspired by that in any way? :) So far you've got some really good starts. I've found that writing whatever pops in to your head is a good way to start and get new ideas. Whether this will be something you will use or not is entirely up to you. I've written down things that I would say take place half-way into my story or end up getting scrapped. But they gave me ideas to keep going and make a full story.

@Caranfin: I completely agree. Descriptive environments and atmospheres I can get. But when it comes to unique characters, I have a bit of a problem. I tend to base characters off my friends. I know different parts of my close friends so I use those traits for character surrounding the main character. And the main character I usually base off me or a combination of other characters I really enjoy reading or playing in a game. Coming up with looks and outer appearance can be easy and then I just put my close friends in for their personalities. Treat it as if they are a part of my own world and how they would react to certain things.

Usually I base my stories off ultimately what I want to read. Most of the time it's not even really about what would sell but mainly off what I want to read. I've started to branch away from fantasy writing (which is my favorite) and I've moved more towards a horror/fantasy vibe. Mainly from reading a lot of Clive Barker, H.P. Lovecraft, and playing Shin Megami Tensei games (mainly the Persona off-shoot series). I'm using first person aspect to introduce my party and then merge them together in the end. Or have them separate and make 'Journals'. I haven't really decided yet.

Annoying traits... the only thing I can see avoiding would be classic fantasy characters that have been overdone. The Fellowship of the Ring mode. The elf, the dwarf, the mage, the warrior, etc. Find new ways (if you're doing fantasy) to take these overused characters and turn them into something completely different.

I think that's why I'm going for a more modern day/near future aspect. Mixing it up with some horror, macabre, dark themes, and basically my own version of Persona lol

Offline machinaeFREAK

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 02:27:52 pm »
Nope, not inspired by that in any way. I used the name Cain as a reference to the biblical one you know, that always fits ;)
Although I do believe that there's a similar thing going around on the internet, I'll link it when I've found it.

EDIT: Found it. Goddamnit.

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-076
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 03:33:50 pm by machinaeFREAK »
"The way of the ninja is the way of life, when lightning strikes once a ninja strikes twice"

Offline Caranfin

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 04:19:29 pm »
Could be anything really. I have been writing for quite a while off and on. Stories that remain incomplete. So I decided to start writing short stories instead of trying to write a whole fantasy epic. It seems to work better for me. I think. Here's my first attempt at writing something different out of my element of fantasy/sci-fi. Let me know what you think. This could be utter crap idk:

http://luckyhour.wordpress.com/2012/04/02/the-dream/
I read this while avoiding studying yesterday and I kind of like the idea behind it, but it seems pretty clear that you're writing out of your element. I'm going to have to read it again before I can offer anything more detailed, but my first impressions are that the story might benefit from the dream sequence being shorter, snappier, and more dreamlike; currently the text is very clear and coherent, and I think perhaps a bit more impressionistic approach would suit the story better? I'll try to whip up something to illustrate what I'm talking about better.

You also seem to open a lot of sentences with a present participle, which hurts the flow of the text a bit in my opinion. Varying the sentence structures should make it read better.

Offline Crimzen

• Sleeping Awake
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 06:59:17 pm »
@Caranfin: Oh yes I'm definitely writing out of my element ;) I definitely want to add more into this one. I thought of this interesting first person view point and just put myself in the characters shoes. I'd have some more posted and I would have replied to this sooner but. The place I'm staying at, the cut the internet off to save money :( So right now I'm stuck with only random times to use the internet.

Offline Caranfin

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 07:52:07 pm »
No worries. I haven't had time to write up that alternate intro I was thinking about either.