Author Topic: Baldur's Gate III?  (Read 2635 times)

Offline Crimzen

• Sending You Positive Energy!
    • Sleeping Awake
Baldur's Gate III?
« on: March 15, 2012, 06:42:36 pm »
Ok so a while back on Kotaku there was a fake fan made trailer suggesting a new Baldur's Gate game. And this was brushed off as just fan made but well thought of in sparking some thoughts of if there was a third game.

Now today I get an update via Official Dungeons & Dragons Facebook of a big update on Baldur's Gate at this site launch:

http://baldursgate.com/

There's a countdown ticker and I'm hoping seriously for Baldur's Gate III. It's a huge hope, it'll probably end up being Dark Alliance III, which I still won't mind. Or a new entry in the series all together.

Offline Caranfin

Re: Baldur's Gate III?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 06:59:55 pm »
You have been waylaid by hype and must defend yourself.

It'll be something like an iOS port or an overhaul or something. I seriously doubt they're making a new Baldur's Gate, and even if they are, it'll probably not be anything like the originals.

Offline Crimzen

• Sleeping Awake
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 07:06:59 pm »
That's what I'm fearing. Otherwise we would have been hearing about the making of. Could be under wraps, but that's just my hopeful speculation. Can't help but get my hopes up but you're probably right. We'll find out in about 2 hours it seems

Offline Crimzen

• Sleeping Awake
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 10:00:51 pm »
Yay the servers exploded! So it appears there are more Baldur's Gate fans still hoping for a third installment. At least that's what all the talk was about. Now it is as Caranfin predicted an overhaul. New graphics, new content, and etc. I'm still stoked however! Seeing it in a whole new way and being able to introduce it to my friends will be nice. I've had so many of my friends say, well if it didn't look like it was on Windows 95 then I'd play it.

Trent Oster is a part of the team Enhancing Baldur's Gate. It will have Tales of the Sword Coast Expansion. He's ex-Bioware which in a way I'm happy about. Because I feel that Bioware has too much EA in them now and if they were on top of recreating Baldur's Gate, I'd say hell no. People like Trent Oster came from the original crew more with the mindset of Black Isle and TSR versus this new let's sell to the popular market. So I'm stoked for this Enhancement and I'm also hoping that if they make a good chunk of money that they could make BG III :D

Offline Caranfin

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 10:08:26 pm »
I hope they manage to make the multiplayer work well. I'd love to play through Baldur's Gate with some friends.

With Dragon Age 2 and the ending to Mass Effect 3, even anything Baldur's Gate made by them would have to be extremely promising for me to even consider buying it. I'm really glad it's not by Bioware.

Offline Moheeheeko

• Stick 'em with the pointy end.
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 11:14:10 pm »
I hope they manage to make the multiplayer work well.
no....NO....NOOOOOOOO!

Give me a good Storyline that I, MYSELF, ME< can experiance, and discuss with my friends.

Multiplayer is the detriment to all RPG gaming.  I am so tired of a game that has a "meh" story because they included "meh" multiplayer.
Yes im aware the previous games had multi, but it was so terrible nobody used it, it was an afterthought so the actual story was good.

And thats the way it was AND WE LIKED IT.

"Jesus Christ, or so I have been led to believe from the revelations he has apparently made on this forum, fucks kittens. Or possibly cats."-Fiindil

Hadou

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 12:14:00 am »
I feel that Bioware has too much EA in them now

And having any EA in you is horribly bad for you. My computer is still coughing up blood after installing (and hurriedly uninstalling) The Sims 3, over a year ago. BF3 was just about about bearable, and personally, I think the last EA game to be any good was BFBC2.

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Armoured Tanks of Mass Destruction
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 12:48:14 am »
This was way more awesome than I'd hoped. As awesome as those games are, whenever I try to play them nowadays, I get turned off by the horribly outdated UIs. I'd love to get a chance to have a swing at some updated thingies =)
"Actually, wooden stakes are for vampires. Wooden steaks are for vegetarians."

Offline Zortel

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 04:13:28 am »
Definitely something to pick up, but my favourite CRPG ever has to be Planescape Torment.

Also, I'm glad Bioware aren't involved.
"How do you govern a country that seems to have decided that facts are the work of the devil?" - Andy Hamilton
“If you are cold, tea will warm you; if you are too heated, it will cool you; if you are depressed, it will cheer you; if you are excited, it will calm you.” - W. E. Gladstone

Offline Crimzen

• Sleeping Awake
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 07:52:57 am »
It seems that this new company is filled with ex-Bioware employees. Pre Dragon Age and more Baldur's Gate/Jade Empire/Neverwinter Nights crew. According to Trent Oster's Twitter, the team is very open to the modding community. He's against Cloud run gaming especially for multiplayer. Baldur's Gate II with expansions are getting the same Enhanced treatment. And if all goes well with the sales of these enhancements Baldur's Gate III will more than likely be a go for getting made. There was slight mention of bringing these enhanced editions to console though... By slight I don't mean definitely but there was talk of it.

Offline Caranfin

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 09:59:58 am »
Oh yeah like evilcandybag said a UI that isn't terrible would be very nice as well.

I hope they manage to make the multiplayer work well.
no....NO....NOOOOOOOO!

Give me a good Storyline that I, MYSELF, ME< can experiance, and discuss with my friends.

Multiplayer is the detriment to all RPG gaming.  I am so tired of a game that has a "meh" story because they included "meh" multiplayer.
Yes im aware the previous games had multi, but it was so terrible nobody used it, it was an afterthought so the actual story was good.

And thats the way it was AND WE LIKED IT.
The story is there already? They are not making a new game, they are revamping the old ones. And yes, the multiplayer in the originals was pretty shit and buggy and hard to use. Which is precisely the reason why I want them to fix it into a playable condition. I've already played the game through several times by myself, I'd like to do it with friends now.

Offline Crimzen

• Sleeping Awake
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 10:56:19 am »
I agree with Caranfin. Multiplayer can be done correctly and I think the team is trying their hardest to make sure it's something good. I keep mentioning Trent Oster for a reason. I think he's got his mind set on improving and making the Baldur's Gate multiplayer what it should have been.

Not to go completely off subject but the multiplayer in Mass Effect 3, good...but, where's the rest of it? This is the thing for me. If you're going to put multiplayer in something at least go all out with it instead of giving us one game mode and then selling the rest of the multiplayer to us in DLC.

Offline Caranfin

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 12:57:46 pm »
The ME3 multiplayer is outrageously fun, and also a good example of how multiplayer can actually improve the single player experience; I'd be willing to wager that including a multiplayer - and thus having to really think about how to make a satisfying combat experience that can stand on it's own - is heavily responsible for the drastic improvement in combat mechanics from Mass Effect 2.

Offline Crimzen

• Sleeping Awake
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 08:46:04 pm »
I agree I had fun with it. I just wish they had added more. Instead of pilfering my wallet later with added multiplayer modes via DLC. Would it have been so hard to put a Wingman like feature and a Team Deathmatch style in there? Or Capture the Flag? I've got to spice it up a bit before it gets repetative

Offline Caranfin

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 09:47:16 pm »
Player versus player modes would not work very well since, though the combat mechanics are a lot better than before, they are far from balanced even for co-op. Making it suitable for player versus player modes would take a ton of more work and probably a complete remake of the entire combat system. I would like different co-operative modes, however. I'm sure the one we have will grow repetitive at some point, but so far Gold against any enemy is proving a great challenge and the others are really fun as well.