Author Topic: Windows Phone 7  (Read 4322 times)

Offline WilllemNL

• Terra Solus
    • Xboxworld - All the news on Xbox 360 in Dutch!
Windows Phone 7
« on: January 31, 2012, 01:57:50 am »
Does anyone have a Windows Phone 7? What do you think? And if you don't have one, how do you see Windows Phone 7?

I have an HTC Titan for a couple of months now. The name of the device really does it credit, it's a monster! Large screen, really fast, bright colors. I think the Windows Phone 7 OS is fantastisc. It's easy to use, has a new look to it and pinning live tiles to the main screen rocks.

The integration with Xbox Live, Live Mail, Games for Windows and Skydrive is superb. It's really easy to merge all your Facebook, Twitter, Outlook and GMail settings.

Offline Crazywater

Re: Windows Phone 7
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 12:30:48 pm »
I had one because I got it for free. It's pretty good and I liked the interface a lot.

However, apart from that I don't really get the appeal of it. You essentially get a worse iPhone that is just as locked-down, supports less apps, requires an even worse application to sync music (Zune) and that has little community support (with which comes no Jailbreaking/Linux support).

Mostly because of the abomination that is the Zune software, I went back to my much, much slower iPhone 3G with a years-old OS instead.
We're open to such things, we've even talked many times about doing it with Inja, but in a way that's redundant because we can already get Erica
:o brown chicken brown cow :o

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Armoured Tanks of Mass Destruction
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 07:33:24 pm »
Just what Crazywater said. WP7 is not a bad OS, for example it has the most modern UI of the three major players, with its tile based approach to placing apps on screen.
However, AFAIK, there is little in the way of development community there, leading to fewer apps.
"Actually, wooden stakes are for vampires. Wooden steaks are for vegetarians."

Hadou

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 11:54:46 pm »
However, apart from that I don't really get the appeal of it. You essentially get a worse iPhone that is just as locked-down, supports less apps, requires an even worse application to sync music (Zune) and that has little community support (with which comes no Jailbreaking/Linux support).

This is basically my opinion. Most people choose to move away from iPhone for 2 reasons: Price, and the Walled Garden.
Frankly, Android is cheaper normally because the OS is free, and there is no walled garden. For those that don't like iPhones, Androis is a win/win, while WP7 is a lose/lose.

Offline WilllemNL

• Terra Solus
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 12:13:38 am »
Woah, I'm surprised you guys see it that way!

In my opinion it's not worse than an iPhone. In fact, I think it's hard to compare, because there are big differences in hardware, just like with and Android.

I agree there are less apps and the community is smaller. But that's something that could easily change, if WP7 grows in popularity. I also believe has a great chance here to 'embed' their phone in people's lives, just like Windows is in many lives.

Oh and Crazywater, did you run Zune on a Windows PC or on an Mac computer? I running Zune on Windows 7 and I really love it. I bought an iPod Classic 2 years ago, so I had to use iTunes. Now THAT is terrible...

Offline Crazywater

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 10:53:22 am »
Oh and Crazywater, did you run Zune on a Windows PC or on an Mac computer? I running Zune on Windows 7 and I really love it. I bought an iPod Classic 2 years ago, so I had to use iTunes. Now THAT is terrible...
On Windows. On OS X, there is the Windows Phone 7 connector thingy which is surprisingly decent and does what it should do ;)

I find the Zune software to be much more confusing than iTunes, but different strokes for different folks, I guess :)
We're open to such things, we've even talked many times about doing it with Inja, but in a way that's redundant because we can already get Erica
:o brown chicken brown cow :o

Offline WilllemNL

• Terra Solus
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 12:55:21 pm »
So it seems!

The main issue I have with iTunes is that it often forgets settings or that I - all of a sudden - lose half of my library. I also dislike the fact that when I make changes to files in iTunes, it doens't alter the actual files. So if I have to reload my library again for whatever silly reason, I can start retagging half of it. And sometimes when I import files I had ripped to my PC earlier (using different CD rip software) all the tags are missing in iTunes, while they actually are in the files.

Now with Zune, I haven't ever had this problem. It works really fine IMO with my WP7. It's fast, it works, I can filter files easily and the design is simple ans useful. Much like the WP7 OS.

I do hope it evolves more (could use a lot of changes), but I think Windows 8 across mobile, Xbox and PC platforms will really bring that.

Offline dezo

• ex Defence Against the Dark Arts
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 01:33:57 am »
I gave my iPhone to my girlfriend and bought a Nokia Lumia 800 and holy shit, it rawks.
Ofc, atm there are not that many apps but just wait for it... you can dev for win phone 7 in c# and that means Visual Studio. It's just a matter of time until the app market on win hone explodes just because c# is easy as hell and Visual Studio is awesome.

Oh, the OS is quicker then iOS. iOS pwns android. Nuff said.

Offline WilllemNL

• Terra Solus
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 10:43:57 am »
Finally, some love.  ;)

Friend of me got the Lumia 800 as well, looks really great. There isn't much difference with my HTC Titan when it comes to performence. Ofcourse the HTC Titan has a larger screen, but the Lumia - as a device - is great to see. Such style.  ::)

Hadou

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 01:43:10 pm »
All this talk about WP7 and a WP8 phone is leaked.

Offline WilllemNL

• Terra Solus
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 01:08:12 am »
All this talk about WP7 and a WP8 phone is leaked.

What? I'm not getting you.

Offline WilllemNL

• Terra Solus
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2012, 11:12:58 am »

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Armoured Tanks of Mass Destruction
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2012, 12:39:10 pm »
He most likely means: "Why are you talking about WP7 when WP8 is leaked. Talk about that instead."
"Actually, wooden stakes are for vampires. Wooden steaks are for vegetarians."

Hadou

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2012, 02:21:23 pm »
He most likely means: "Why are you talking about WP7 when WP8 is leaked. Talk about that instead."

Yeah sorry, I guess I didn't make myself clear enough. ^ That is what I meant.