Author Topic: Getting the fuck away  (Read 3884 times)

Offline yas‮

• The laziest one.
  • I believe in respawn.
    • Me on SoundCloud
Getting the fuck away
« on: January 08, 2012, 02:40:38 am »
Hey,

after countless hours of thinking I've decided that I should leave the shithole called Poland right after my last BSc exam, possibly forever. Have enough money for a plane ticket and at least a month of living, so the only real question is - where to? What country/place would you recommend?

I'll be 22 when leaving, with all-around skills in IT, experience as an ASP.NET developer, fluent in Polish and English.

My destination country should suit my needs for general safety, good average salary to costs of living ratio and most importantly - ability to communicate in English.
I will most probably be travelling alone, either in June or October. I know all of it sounds a bit reckless, but I'm really tired of saving up money like a paranoid just to learn that it's barely enough to live through another month, and overall - tired of doing a good job for a shitty salary. Moving to another city in Poland is not an option too, as the wages may rise there, but so will living costs.

I will gladly take any advice.

Offline gaijin

• Hiding behind the couch
  • Community Supporter
  • "You sound like the Morning Star"
    • Motljus
Re: Getting the fuck away
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 02:45:48 am »
Sweden is a pretty good choice, overall. Decent market for that type of skillset, semi-affordable living depending on where you go, and the language won't be an issue. Also, we've got machinae. ;P
Oi, is this when I get a huge sig-image, start whining about "moar sid" and make nonsensical arguments to no good?

Offline yas‮

• The laziest one.
  • I believe in respawn.
    • Me on SoundCloud
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 02:53:04 am »
Machinae seems to be a good argument. :) How are the living costs compared to the wages?
I mean - assuming that your salary is average, after deducting the rent, bills and food costs, how much is there left?
I don't know what are the EU regulations regarding immigration, so is the job market open to immigrants from inside the EU?

Offline gaijin

• Community Supporter
    • Motljus
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 03:16:46 am »
You're free to come work here, that's sort of what the EU is all about.. kind of. You can live fairly decently on even a minimum wage job provided you don't have plenty of loans and stuff, or a fuckawfully expensive apartment. As a entry-level support-monkey for an ISP, I made 18.000 SEK / month. Rent was ~6K, and after all  was said and done, I had a couple of thousands left. Back in the day when I worked there, that is. ;P
Oi, is this when I get a huge sig-image, start whining about "moar sid" and make nonsensical arguments to no good?

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Armoured Tanks of Mass Destruction
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 03:31:19 pm »
The only thing that's really expensive compared to the average salary is, sadly, beer.
"Actually, wooden stakes are for vampires. Wooden steaks are for vegetarians."

Offline gaijin

• Community Supporter
    • Motljus
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 04:07:30 pm »
The only thing that's really expensive compared to the average salary is, sadly, beer.

At a bar, at least. At systembolaget, not so much.

Offline machinaeFREAK

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 04:57:46 pm »
Sweden is a rather good option. Iceland is very viable too, as is Holland.

For your sake don't go anywhere near France, Germany, and Spain, they may have good IT stuff and all that but most of the people there can't speak any English (Although that's my personal experience, feel free to prove me wrong).

Anyway you might encounter a few problems here in Holland since most people here don't take kindly to Polish people in general, although that could be different for you since you've got a degree in IT and can speak English very well.

If your mental state is a bit unstable I wouldn't recommend Iceland as there's no sun for a few weeks a year there, and you could easily get a depression.

Sweden seems to be the most viable option, and Holland is a good one as well.

Oh and here you go bro, thought I could help you out a little bit!
http://www.itjobboard.nl/ICT-banen/ASP-.Net/Nederland/alle/0/relevantie/en/
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 04:59:55 pm by machinaeFREAK »
"The way of the ninja is the way of life, when lightning strikes once a ninja strikes twice"

Offline yas‮

• The laziest one.
  • I believe in respawn.
    • Me on SoundCloud
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 07:05:03 pm »
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Fortunately, beer isn't a problem, as I drink only on occasions, and those don't happen to often.
Sweden seems to be really appealing as for now. It's a pretty short way through Baltic too, so it's pretty easy to get a car transported there by ferry.

As for Netherlands, well, as far as I heard Poles are hated there. I know it's our fault, as most of Polish dudes are probably there to get a shitty job, abuse alcohol and drugs, yet stereotypes can be dangerous sometimes.  Yet, it's not a bad option too. Thanks for the job postings, it will sure come in handy.

Offline machinaeFREAK

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 08:44:57 pm »
As for Netherlands, well, as far as I heard Poles are hated there. I know it's our fault, as most of Polish dudes are probably there to get a shitty job, abuse alcohol and drugs, yet stereotypes can be dangerous sometimes.  Yet, it's not a bad option too. Thanks for the job postings, it will sure come in handy.

This is mostly fed by the Dutch people, as Polish immigrants are a cheap source of laborers. It's actually a typical 'They took our jobs!' thing.

Indeed there are a few Polish criminals there, but if you're a nice, social person who works hard  then you'll get accepted by most people here in Holland.

"The way of the ninja is the way of life, when lightning strikes once a ninja strikes twice"

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 09:28:18 am »
Leaving poland? I guess the grass on the other side is greener after all.

Offline Zephyris

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 02:11:02 pm »
If you decide to move to Sweden mastering our beautiful language is a good idea, one great way of doing so is listening to these simple lessons called 'Mastering Swedish' Slay Radio aired.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66fULfwb2X4&feature=related
That is the link to lesson one - there are five total.

You just cannot move here unless you can say sentances like "Sjutton generade sjätteklassare sjunger Tjeckiska skitsånger", that would just be silly..
Good luck!

Offline Banshee

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 06:21:25 pm »
czech songs are indeed crappy
(except for few ones - but these are covers... oh, and Blue Effekt)