Author Topic: Thoughts on the new Attack Music  (Read 4392 times)

Offline Poisoned

• Go Panda Go!
    • GraveZero
Thoughts on the new Attack Music
« on: May 18, 2004, 12:11:24 am »
Those who have heard it have all posted their thoughts on it, but usually fairly breifly. I think we need to get some specifics to the band about it.

****The Old Attack Music****

Now, Attack Music was always my second favorite song before the album, behind Sidstyler. It was very upbeat, the lyrics were great, and it always rang home to me.

****The New Attack Music****

However, and yes thats a bad thing, the new attack music gives me the chills. The new introduction is a poor supplement although I understand necessary for the futurama introduction.

I think it may be a mastering problem, but the drums I believe are too loud for the song. They are also much faster than the rest and much more complicated of a playing style... if you meant to change the style of the drums, the rest of the song should have been changed IMHO.

Now, I also feel that the fills between verses and choruses have been slightly butchered. The slides and drum fills are good but seem forced and sloppy... As if they were mashed into a small timeframe which should have been extended.

The solo hasn't changed much, although the drums again should be quieter and less intrusive.

I'm very very glad that you kept the vocal solo after the guitar solo, it was always my favorite part!

Lyrically, I also feel it was downgraded.. Robert's voice seems deeper, and a little more coarse which I guess is fine but I liked it much better the old way.

****Conclusion****

I figure as is with all Machinae songs, it takes me a few listens to get used to them. I've listened to this one a lot, since it was originally one of my favorites and I really strive to like it, but its just not a successor to the original.

I often hear you guys complain about the quality and mastering of the original songs but I can't hear what is wrong with them, they always sounded professional to me. The new Attack Music however seems like it took a step down. Its like comparing Fighters of Ninne v2 to Fighters of Ninne v1, except this time, the better one came first.

I can't be held accountable of course for everyone's ideas, but this is just how I feel about it. Everyone who has heard it should post here, preferrably not just "Its soo good its better than the original", offer some insight on what specifically is better or worse about it. The band can always use constructive criticism i'm sure, and i'm sure they will appreciate our honesty even if we say bad things about it.

Grave Zero, coming atcha.

Offline zynaps

• I'm a llama!
Re:Thoughts on the new Attack Music
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2004, 12:31:23 am »
In the beginning i also though the old Attack Music was the best one, but now after a lot of listening to the album, the new song has grown on me to the point that i think they are equally good :)

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2004, 03:38:08 am »
I'd tend to agree, the new one is good but I find the orginal to be much better. As for the quality of the production, probably not noticable in Ogg Vorbis/Mp3 @ 192kbps. Perhaps in the lossless copies somewhere(I want them!) but I doubt I'd notice that.
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Offline Outboundlight

• Renegade Anarchist Folk Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Rogue World Asylum Seeker
    • No Art Films
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2004, 04:11:02 am »
i like the new one...its meatier

Offline Elrond

• sw33t!
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2004, 09:43:13 am »
Everyone's entitled to their opinion.
Personally I love the new one and will continue to listen to both. It's like hearing live versions of songs. It may sound different, but that doesn't make other versions inferior. It keeps the song fresh. You don't always have to listen to the same one. That's why people make remixes, keep it fresh.
Signature has been removed due to violation of size-constraints.

Offline JariWolf

• Rabid MaSu fan wolf
    • Machine Animal @ Last.fm
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2004, 11:08:09 am »
I like the new one more. The drumfills are better and Robert's additional vocal stuff is great. The drums are mixed too loud though.. the hihats get in the way of the guitar in the beginning. That bothers me the most. Anyway the new good stuff makes up for it.. and oh.. the new ending for the song is better too.

I haven't bought the album YET but thanks to a friend I have the songs (in 128 kbs). I'm not sharing them in P2P though so no worries. When I get my first pay this summer I will buy three albums (2 for my friends). Now I don't even have enough money for rent and have to borrow money from parents.    

Smeagol

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2004, 12:37:22 pm »
i prefer the new version cos it is heavier and just sounds right

but then again i prefer Fighters From Ninne V1 to V2 so

Offline Laser.T

• 日本人ですか?
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2004, 02:31:39 pm »
I really liked Attack Music v2. But I am a bity of a fan of remixes. I love to hear a song redone, in a good way of course. And Machinae have redone this song in an excellent way.

The original was a classic of course, it was one of those that stood out as Machinae. But this fresh new sound is excellent. The new tempo, the meatier beat (lthough slightly dryer :S); INSERT INTO yabbse_messages (ID_MSG, ID_TOPIC, ID_MEMBER, subject, posterName, posterEmail, posterTime, posterIP, smiliesEnabled, modifiedTime, modifiedName, body, icon, attachmentSize, attachmentFilename) VALUES and the vocal solo after the guitar solo is one of the best moments in the album for me. :D

I really can't say which one I prefer. They're both so special in different ways. I think people should not see them as old/new versions of one song. But as two separate entities, both as good as each other.

In conclusion:
Don't rate, listen.

Offline Z01db3rg

• Player One
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2004, 02:34:23 pm »
Attack Music is one of my favourite songs... overall, not just with Machinae and I was very thrilled when I found out it was the only old song in the "Deus Ex Machinae".

After listening to the new one really much I almost consider it as good as the old one, slightly in a different way though.

The drums are, indeed, to loud and you don't hear the intro very well, nor in the chorus your hear the riff.
The vocals are great I think and I don't have a problem with the speed. The biggest downside is the drums. Not the drums itself, but the fact that they're drowning the guitars.
The bridge between the verse and the chorus also feels a little spontaneus. It was better in the old version.
The new's got a better ending though.
This is my favourite time of the day.
Well, there it goes.
http://www.linusstaaf.com

Offline Outboundlight

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
    • No Art Films
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2004, 09:14:31 pm »
isnt the intro meant to b primarily a drum intro tho?

Offline JariWolf

• Rabid MaSu fan wolf
    • Machine Animal @ Last.fm
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2004, 02:41:42 pm »
No! Guitar!

Offline Outboundlight

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
    • No Art Films
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2004, 03:17:45 pm »
so ur not talking bout the drum and bass intro at the very start of the song..?