Author Topic: First MMO/Anime  (Read 3241 times)

Offline Ark

First MMO/Anime
« on: December 15, 2011, 06:02:48 pm »
Made this topic so you can post what was teh first MMO you ever played or the first game that got you into gaming and stuff. Also made this so you can help me remember the first MMO i have played cuz i cant remeber (lol im noob) i remeber it was a turn based tactics like Dofus but it was chinese game and it had the Taijitu symbol. Also post your first anime or the one that got you to start watching them. Mine was DBZ so yea ::)
Don't go with the croud go against it

Offline gaijin

• Hiding behind the couch
  • Community Supporter
  • "You sound like the Morning Star"
    • Motljus
Re: First MMO/Anime
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 06:15:30 pm »
This was the first game that got me hooked into gaming: Impossible Mission
Oi, is this when I get a huge sig-image, start whining about "moar sid" and make nonsensical arguments to no good?

Offline Aeon

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 08:30:35 pm »
I've been playing games since the age of seven. :S And my first game was... well, it is not the first one, but Grand Theft Auto is the very first one I remember.

Yep, I was leisurely running people over (weapons were not that effective nor easy to come by in the first game) and stealing cars when I was only seven. I have yet to commit a single crime, though. Take that, Jack Thompson?
No more WoW references. WoW is evil.

Offline Ark

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 10:32:37 pm »
Man you guys started way before i did and that's awesome. I started really gaming alot when i was about 8 or 9 years old.
Don't go with the croud go against it

Offline gaijin

• Hiding behind the couch
  • Community Supporter
  • "You sound like the Morning Star"
    • Motljus
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 10:41:50 pm »
I was around 5, I think. I've had a pretty long run so far.
Oi, is this when I get a huge sig-image, start whining about "moar sid" and make nonsensical arguments to no good?

Offline megashroom°

• Things!
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 11:50:46 pm »
I recall being shown Duke Nukem 3D back in '96, I was 4 or 5 at the time (and probably getting pwnd). Still play it occasionally. Such a great game and modding scene.
My parents got me and my brother a SNES around the same time. So lot's of life changing games on there too like Super Mario World and Final Fight.

Currently pursuing a career in game development, so I guess it meant something.

First MMO was probably Tibia. I fondly remember getting up early in the morning every day just so I could play an hour before breakfast. :3
That dial-up sound gets my nostalgia going like a fat kid with a cheeseburger. But fuck me that game has aged horribly. ._.'

First Anime would be Sailor Moon. Or the Moomins (if they count).
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 12:47:17 am by Megashroom »

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Armoured Tanks of Mass Destruction
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 12:11:21 am »
First game I played was most likely Prince of Persia, but that game was so damn hard and I hated it. The first game I actually played and enjoyed was probably one of the Commander Keen games, Sonic 2 something else around at the same time.

First Anime would be Tenchi Muyo or Bubblegum Crisis, I think.
"Actually, wooden stakes are for vampires. Wooden steaks are for vegetarians."

Hadou

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 01:27:37 am »
I got Pokemon Yellow for the Game Boy Colour after my brother and sister got it a few months earlier. I've been hooked on Pokemon ever since. <3

Offline Caranfin

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 02:26:39 am »
I have no idea which game I played first, as my dad used to play quite a few games when I was younger and the first time I played something was well before I was four years old. My earliest memories of games are really hazy, but I can somewhat remember playing some sort of a flight combat thing which I failed gloriously at repeatedly, as well as a Transformers-game on my uncle's C64.

The earliest coherent memories I have of actually properly playing something are of Lemmings, Commander Keen and The Incredible Machine. I got really into Little Big Adventure, Master of Orion II: Battle at Antares, and Thief: The Dark Project at some point during the nineties as well, though the second level of the last one creeped me out something fierce. Oh and Baldur's Gate was ace, can't forget Baldur's Gate.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 12:50:09 pm by Caranfin »

Offline Blastyr

• Level 80 Lurker
  • Machinae Prime
  • Geek it 'til it MHz.
    • blastyr.net
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 09:42:21 am »
I distinctly remember the first game that got me into gaming: Duck Hunt. It was my aunt's and I would always want to play it when we visited. Mario followed in time, but Duck Hunt was my first love. Then on the PC (since console gaming and PC gaming are two different things), I'm with Megashroom; Duke 3D was what got me into PC gaming.

As for MMO's, the first and only one I really got into was Ragnarok Online, and then mainly because the guy running the free server I played on made me a GM because I hosted the forums and patch files for him. (On a side note, I will never accept a GM position on an MMO server ever again. You can't ever just log in to play because the minute you do, users find you and you have to deal with their questions/complaints/icanhazfreelevelup.)

The first series that got me into anime as a whole was either Cowboy Bebop or Gundam Wing. (There's a topic someone made asking for suggestions for anime to watch. My post was a list of every anime I'd seen from start to finish. I go back and update it every few weeks. Why, you ask? Because I can.)
Now re-engaging lurk mode.

Offline Immanio_2

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 04:32:59 pm »
 I don't know exactly when I started gaming, but I would guess around the age of...  4 or something like that? My father had a C64, and my 6 years older brother and I used to play on that. I remember games like Giana Sisters, Last Ninja (but it crashed on the last level, and then I think we overwrote it with Last Ninja 2, so that's the one I remember best), Burning Rubber, Barbarian, Pit Stop, and several other games I don't remember the names of. There were some text based adventures as well, but I don't think we ever got very far in those, them being in English and us being Norwegians and all. One of them was called Twin Kingdoms, I think. I have this memory that I saw the word elf and at first thought it meant "elv" (river in Norwegian). If you jog my memory I'd probably remember quite a few more. He got a PC and packed away the C64 around the time I was 7 or 8, I think, so then I started gaming on that. I remember the first monitor he had for the PC was a Hercules monochrome, and when we first played Loom, we couldn't get off the starting island because one of the puzzles required you to press the hollows in 4 trees to get the owls in the  to hoot, and one of the hollows was impossible to see on the monochrome monitor. Played through it many times later, though, after we'd found out about that.

Some more C64 games I remembered once I started rolling down memory lane:
Space Taxi
Hover Bovver
Bozo
Combat Leader, we never understood anything of it, but we booted it up just for the music.
Choplifter
A version of Risk that came with the GeOS operating system that my father dabbled with
Marble Madness
Crystal Castles
Not really a game, but I got my first little taste of programming with Logo, giving the instructions for that turtle to draw things (although it took many years before I did any programming again)
Tales of the Arabian Nights
Lode Runner
M.U.L.E. (not that we understood very much of that either...)
International Soccer
BC
Up up and away
Wonderboy
Schizophrenia
The Goonies
Boulder Dash
Ghetto Blaster
Harvey Headbanger
Pengo

Umm, I should probably stop before this post gets even longer...

Oh, right, it was actually MMOs. Well, I used to play a MUD called Realms of the Dragon, around the late 90s or so. I did try Diablo a little bit, but not very much. The first MMORPG I played was (and I'm still playing) WoW. I was originally planning on playing Warhammer Online and not WoW, but then WO folded (this was the originally planned WO, not the one that actually came out 4 years later).

I'm not quite certain what the first anime I watched was, but I think maybe Trigun.

Edit: Come to think of it, I definitely watched Ghost in the Shell before Trigun.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 11:28:21 am by Immanio_2 »

Offline Crimzen

• Sending You Positive Energy!
    • Sleeping Awake
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2011, 06:55:48 pm »
My first intro into gaming was Math Quest on the PC. Learned how to turn off the educational aspects and it became quite a fun platformer / adventure. Then it was Battle Chess. After that I went from those floppy disc computer games to my NES. The rest is history.

First anime that I ever watched was probably the anime movie X. Then I got satellite and then Toonami took over. I've been a geek since I could reach a computer keyboard and I'm proud of it.

Offline machinaeFREAK

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2011, 09:42:33 pm »
First game was a game named Floppy, on a floppy. It was about a blue dog which had to catch apples, I believe. There were also huge gherkins which when caught, blew up.
The floppy was a compilation of minigames, I believe.

First anime I ever finished was Soul Eater, that was last year :P Now, if we talk first anime ever, then that must've been Pokemon, If I recall correctly. Or it was an episode of Gundam...it featured a guy with a mask getting blown up. I was quite shocked when I saw blood coming from under his mask, I believe.
"The way of the ninja is the way of life, when lightning strikes once a ninja strikes twice"