Author Topic: All that is wrong with the world  (Read 30032 times)

Offline gaijin

• Hiding behind the couch
  • Community Supporter
  • "You sound like the Morning Star"
    • Motljus
All that is wrong with the world
« on: December 15, 2011, 03:57:26 pm »
www.allwrongworld.com

New project led by Gaz and myself. Check it out.
Oi, is this when I get a huge sig-image, start whining about "moar sid" and make nonsensical arguments to no good?

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Dignity! Strength! Love!
Re: All that is wrong with the world
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 04:41:14 pm »
Two words:
Fuckin Awesome.
Random ramblings and furious feminine novels per versatility.

Offline gaijin

• Community Supporter
    • Motljus
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 04:42:50 pm »
We've set up a twitter account @AllWrongWorld .. and feel free to swing by our facebook page and +like us a little bit. You know you want to.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/All-That-Is-Wrong-With-The-World/212960042082560
Oi, is this when I get a huge sig-image, start whining about "moar sid" and make nonsensical arguments to no good?

Offline mumppis

• I Know The mumppis
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 04:43:31 pm »
Two words:
Fuckin Awesome.

what he said

Offline Crazywater

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 04:57:22 pm »
This is great. I hope some of the articles make it through the internet.
We're open to such things, we've even talked many times about doing it with Inja, but in a way that's redundant because we can already get Erica
:o brown chicken brown cow :o

Offline Digital0verl0rd

• Leet
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 05:18:24 pm »
Robert's article is something like what's in my mind everyday. I live in Slovakia, where everything is just fucked up, like 180 degress turned. For example, many, many of us, who just love our country and history are being called nazis or even thrown into jail just because of wearing wheel-brace symbol on shirt etc. That symbol means just sun or life cycle. But some of the people decided it's like double swastika, so it's definitely a crime to wear this symbol etc. Some are even punished just because having our national symbol tattoed. Every fucking person who loves our country is somehow registered as potentional terrorist and even being occasionally interrogated by police.

http://www.kolovrat.pl/image/colovrat.png
Thats the wheel-brace symbol.

If there is a gypsy riot or they just kill someone (white) it's ok, everyone should accept it. If you say, that some gypsies stole your ...lets say house (common problem here) or killed and ate your dog/friends/parents etc. You just have to accept it and forget your problems. Otherwise you would be marked as a racist and that's just fucked up. There is no gypsy race !

There's too much to tell, but I dont even know if I'm writing on topic. This is just my feeling.. There is no democracy. Its fucked up as hell.

Offline Ark

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 05:27:06 pm »
how on earth where u able to get that domain name :O and yea its awsome very pro :) 8)
Don't go with the croud go against it

Offline gaijin

• Community Supporter
    • Motljus
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 06:16:07 pm »
www.allthatiswrongwiththeworld.com also works, and redirects to www.allwrongworld.com

If that's easier to remember, or sumthin'.

Offline megashroom°

• Things!
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 11:18:17 pm »
Great articles.
Keeping an eye on this.

EDIT: And what an amazing looking website. Love the typography.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 11:20:13 pm by Megashroom »

Offline Aeon

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 02:55:10 am »
This is interesting... I will be sure to read all of these articles. They are short, pretty concise and quite interesting.

However, there are some mistakes, like writing "Huxleys" instead of "Huxley's", which I think would be the correct form of the possessive in English. And I spotted a typo in one of the articles, too. I think it was Robert's one. Not that it matters that much, but maybe you could use the help of some native English-speaking person knowledgeable enough of their language to have the competence to correct any mistakes that might pop up in your articles?

It does not bother me or anything, I am just like "oh hey, they totally made a spelling error here, that's not how it's written, I still have a good eye for detail, that's nice", more than "oh hey, those guys made a mistake right there, I wouldn't have done that. Sure, I make plenty of different errors, spelling or others, that I am not aware of, but still, they should be ashamed. It comes to no surprise, since they are not native English speakers (some of them, anyway)". It really does not make that much of a difference. It affects my judgment of the person who made that error, but not to a significant degree. It's still more about what you write instead of how you write it.

Rob wrote an article, too. I don't know if it's okay of him to write random profanities like "fuck" in a magazine. I mean it is almost like a blog, but not quite. I would feel outraged if I saw a journalist use a word like that one every now and then in a newspaper, but I am quite new to new media. Maybe I should tolerate him speaking the way he wants. It actually allows you guys to express yourselves better, having no language restraints. I don't know.

And by the way, I think you should use various sources to back up your claims. They seem to be pretty bold at the first sight, but maybe it's a good idea to provide something to prove your point. I don't know, there are statistics, which, while they are nowhere close to the truth most of the time, can work if interpreted correctly. This would have to be done by the editors and contributors, not by the reader, though.

Maybe you guys would like to discuss the usage of sources of informations, their degrees of being veritable, how statistics can be manipulated to prove just about anything if used correctly, what informations are true and to what degree, what is the level of truth that is actually true enough to be true to us, the relativity of truth due to manipulation of the language, obfuscation of the relevant information, what is truly relevant and what is white noise, etc. in one of your articles? I mean, you've only mentioned how we are being flooded with information in "Brave New 1984", Gaijin, maybe you could be tempted to go more in-depth with that thought? I'd love to hear from you some more on that.

Eh, I should really take it to the comments section of the magazine. I will be sure to do that in the future.
In the meantime, back to reading. Next up I have this article with an intriguing title: "Good vs. Evil: A declaration of intent"...
No more WoW references. WoW is evil.

Offline megashroom°

• Things!
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 03:37:21 am »
Rob wrote an article, too. I don't know if it's okay of him to write random profanities like "fuck" in a magazine. I mean it is almost like a blog, but not quite. I would feel outraged if I saw a journalist use a word like that one every now and then in a newspaper, but I am quite new to new media. Maybe I should tolerate him speaking the way he wants. It actually allows you guys to express yourselves better, having no language restraints. I don't know.

Why would you be outraged by that though? Just a brilliant word for putting weight on an issue.
I can't imagine anyone feeling really insulted by it.

Stephen Fry on the topic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_osQvkeNRM

Offline Aeon

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 10:07:37 am »
I stand corrected. Yeah, I wouldn't be. If anything, I would be intrigued, and there is plenty of swear words in various citations in my paper media already. The editors themselves I can never ever see using strong language at all, though. Instead they resort to employing euphemisms everywhere.
And hey, Gaijin made an article about that, too. I read it quite late at night though and I sort of skimmed through it without understanding it. Let me get back to it.
No more WoW references. WoW is evil.

Offline Blastyr

• Level 80 Lurker
  • Machinae Prime
  • Geek it 'til it MHz.
    • blastyr.net
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 11:04:01 am »
Your RSS feed is now one of four in my Google Reader. The other three are web comics.
Now re-engaging lurk mode.

Hadou

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 04:13:23 pm »
Favourited, both on my physically and mentally.
Good job bros.

Offline gaijin

• Community Supporter
    • Motljus
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, 04:43:57 pm »
This is interesting... I will be sure to read all of these articles. They are short, pretty concise and quite interesting.

However, there are some mistakes, like writing "Huxleys" instead of "Huxley's", which I think would be the correct form of the possessive in English. And I spotted a typo in one of the articles, too. I think it was Robert's one. Not that it matters that much, but maybe you could use the help of some native English-speaking person knowledgeable enough of their language to have the competence to correct any mistakes that might pop up in your articles?

It does not bother me or anything, I am just like "oh hey, they totally made a spelling error here, that's not how it's written, I still have a good eye for detail, that's nice", more than "oh hey, those guys made a mistake right there, I wouldn't have done that. Sure, I make plenty of different errors, spelling or others, that I am not aware of, but still, they should be ashamed. It comes to no surprise, since they are not native English speakers (some of them, anyway)". It really does not make that much of a difference. It affects my judgment of the person who made that error, but not to a significant degree. It's still more about what you write instead of how you write it.

And by the way, I think you should use various sources to back up your claims. They seem to be pretty bold at the first sight, but maybe it's a good idea to provide something to prove your point. I don't know, there are statistics, which, while they are nowhere close to the truth most of the time, can work if interpreted correctly. This would have to be done by the editors and contributors, not by the reader, though.

Maybe you guys would like to discuss the usage of sources of informations, their degrees of being veritable, how statistics can be manipulated to prove just about anything if used correctly, what informations are true and to what degree, what is the level of truth that is actually true enough to be true to us, the relativity of truth due to manipulation of the language, obfuscation of the relevant information, what is truly relevant and what is white noise, etc. in one of your articles? I mean, you've only mentioned how we are being flooded with information in "Brave New 1984", Gaijin, maybe you could be tempted to go more in-depth with that thought? I'd love to hear from you some more on that.

Eh, I should really take it to the comments section of the magazine. I will be sure to do that in the future.
In the meantime, back to reading. Next up I have this article with an intriguing title: "Good vs. Evil: A declaration of intent"...

A few points:
We have a few people who spell-check and fix our grammar that are British and Australian. They don't have to correct much, and sometimes they miss things. It happens, and we -will- get better at it. You can rest assured that 90% of the mistakes comes from sloppy typing rather than a lack of knowledge. Unless we're talking about my texts, and the problem you mentioned with Huxleys/Huxley's. I suck at that. ;)

What we do is opinion. We read up and check facts and statistics, and then we give you our take on it. When possible, we'll throw in the background material, but really, this is more to get people thinking and read up on things themselves than to give everyone "facts".  Especially in situations where it comes down to how you interpret things. When applicable, background info will be provided.

I'm currently writing a text on just the use of statistics, and how it can be used to make almost any point. Worry not, we're on it.

When it comes to the "flooding of information" that I refer to, I speak mostly of how (even when taking a damn walk) it's hard to get away from being connected. Cellphones, radios, TV, around the clock news, soap operas, 'reality'-TV, etc. etc. etc.  I don't have my TV connected to anything else than my media center, so I never turn it on just for the background noise (as I know many people do). I also periodically leave my cell phone at home, just to get away from being constantly reachable. That's my thinking.

And a more general remark: Remember - we're not professionals. At all. I don't even have any form of education apart from the most basic schooling possible. We'll get better, but we will make mistakes. Point 'em out like this, and we'll get better faster. Thanks. ;)