Author Topic: New SID Chips?  (Read 6178 times)

Offline mAsUfAn_1337

• [Insert quote here, since mine doesn't fit]
New SID Chips?
« on: November 17, 2011, 11:15:55 pm »
After reading about the SidStation, and the SID chip itself, one thing that seemed odd was a lack of a reason for why production of the chip ceased. I'd assume it probably was not economically viable as time went on and better and better chips were made. However, since the original patent and schematics (?) still exist, wouldn't it have been easy enough for Elektron (the maker of the SidStation) to manufacture them themselves? Or a third party? Is there any reason why no one has tried to pick up where MOS (the makers of the chip) left off?

Offline gaijin

• Hiding behind the couch
  • Community Supporter
  • "You sound like the Morning Star"
    • Motljus
Re: New SID Chips?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 11:51:29 pm »
I'd venture that the supply/demand-calculation really indicates that it's not worth it. That, or nobody really thought of it. YOU WILL BE RICH!
Oi, is this when I get a huge sig-image, start whining about "moar sid" and make nonsensical arguments to no good?

Hadou

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 08:24:07 pm »
Plus, the more they call it "Limited Edition," the more they can charge. I know they are now out of stock, but maybe it's all a ruse and they'll "find" some more and bring it back.

If they (or someone else) starts manufacturing SIDstations for Chiptune artists, I'd totally freaking buy one.

Offline MarioMaster100

• Atari & arcade music formed my chiptune love.
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 08:33:26 pm »
Plus, the more they call it "Limited Edition," the more they can charge. I know they are now out of stock, but maybe it's all a ruse and they'll "find" some more and bring it back.

If they (or someone else) starts manufacturing SIDstations for Chiptune artists, I'd totally freaking buy one.
Well according to Rob on that interview I posted about, after you start making really complex melodies, you'd have to do it on the computer or have a couple other people playing on one with you. I think the latter would be interesting.

Signature and avatar credits to: MFreak and others from n-forums.com

Offline megashroom°

• Things!
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 08:43:00 pm »

Offline mAsUfAn_1337

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 06:23:57 pm »
An option - http://www.hardsid.com/

Are these using the original MOS chips, or new ones manufactured by HardSID themselves? Or is it simply a way for people who have the chips already to use them for synth?

Offline MashedByMachines

• That guy
  • Community Supporter
  • Skala lök?
    • Music
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 09:09:31 pm »
The blueprints to the original SID chip was loost IIRC

http://mashedbymachines.newgrounds.com/

Believing in a zombieman from outer space who is his own father is pretty funny, but that's not what MaSu is about //yas

Offline mAsUfAn_1337

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 01:03:49 am »
The blueprints to the original SID chip was loost IIRC

:'(  Me wants moar SID.

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 09:56:24 am »
I managed to locate enough Commodore 64s to produce a SID station but then saw that they weren't doing requests for SID stations even if we supply the chips. I cried. It took me so many years to finally find some. :(
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Offline mAsUfAn_1337

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 12:54:54 am »
How many chips does it take to make one station? I though the whole thing was only powered by one chip.

Offline gaijin

• Community Supporter
    • Motljus
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 11:28:50 pm »
How many chips does it take to make one station? I though the whole thing was only powered by one chip.

Afaik, it is. Also, if you were looking for sid-chips, I still have two. I think.
Oi, is this when I get a huge sig-image, start whining about "moar sid" and make nonsensical arguments to no good?

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 07:52:51 am »

Afaik, it is. Also, if you were looking for sid-chips, I still have two. I think.

I'm pretty sure I read on their old product page that there was four in each unit? That was... a long time ago.
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Offline gaijin

• Community Supporter
    • Motljus
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 02:48:46 pm »
The manual refers to the "chip", in singular form, so... I'm thinking it's still just the one.