Offline Ziza

Re: Skyrim
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 12:20:27 am »
Well, the soundtrack is awesome and that's all I know for now :D

Offline Valentine Revolution

• Twitter
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 12:43:32 am »
So far I love it. Melee combat is wanky but it's a perfect game to just sink time into. I just keep discovering dungeons as I go and it's awesome. Also, dragons.

Hadou

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 12:51:21 am »
So far I love it. Melee combat is wanky but it's a perfect game to just sink time into. I just keep discovering dungeons as I go and it's awesome. Also, dragons.

I don't own it yet, but I played a few bits at a friend's, and I feel that looking around with also a bit 'wanky'. Maybe it was the fact that the computer I was using couldn't handle it, but the mouse sensitivity or something was very slow, even on high. Also had my xbox controller, so I tried it with that, and at the moment, I much prefer it, especially in very close third person view, because first person sucks balls. Also, from what I saw of the UI, it's very console-ish, and with the xbox controller, it is much easier to use... :(

Offline Caranfin

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 01:39:01 pm »
I've spent most of the weekend so far watching my gf play the game or playing it myself. So far it's very much as expected.

It's very fun to play, and there are many improvements over Oblivion, but it's still very very Elder Scrolls. NPC interaction is as awkward as ever, mostly due to the hilariously bad voice acting. Animations are improved, but still mostly atrocious. Archery actually does damage now, which is awesome, and melee combat is improved; I've actually had to think of tactics once or twice, blocking seems useful and shield bashing is pretty fun. On the other hand, dualwielding is a horrible clusterfuck of "MASH BUTAN FAST TO KILL THING" and the kill animations are distracting and really really lame. EDIT: I just saw the game's first dragon battle. Holy shit, that was awesome. I hope they don't turn repetitive and boring when you get into more of them, but so far fuck yeah.

Writing quality seems slightly schizophrenic so far. Most dialogue so far is either terribly over-acted or entirely lacking in any appropriate feeling. Still, the main quest seems interesting. I actually want to know how the story progresses now, which is something I can't say happened in Oblivion. Side quests seem generally interesting as well.

The environment is the best thing about the game. Wild animals are everywhere, and their behaviour is greatly improved. No longer do you suddenly hear a change to "BATTLE MUSIC", quickly get your sword in hand and scan the horizon for assailants, only to see a pathetic little crab crawl patiently at you around a rock in a few minutes. Most animals seem to just want to keep to themselves. Everything looks gorgeous. The colours are great, the game area varied and interesting, and everything just looks magnificent. Faces no longer look like potatoes either, so that's definitely an improvement. The design of everything I've seen seems superb.

Uh yeah, that's a bit of a rambling account on what I think of the game so far. Definitely very fun game that fixes loads of the earlier games' mistakes and so far doesn't seem to introduce very many of it's own. Except for the UI, which is pretty but clumsy and unintuitive.

Also EDIT: Oh yeah we're playing on the 360. Personally I'm planning to get the game for the PC sometime next year, once a significant amount of the typical Elder Scrolls oddities have been ironed out by fans.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 01:41:04 pm by Caranfin »

Offline Tolkki

• A bane to evil.
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 02:09:09 pm »
The game looks quite buggy atm, (and the price is quite salty too) so I shall wait few months till I have played oblivion over and have nothing else to play and then buy it.
Some interesting bugs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt5aUdijAN8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PG2CPSxE_0
Lurkkers gonna lurk.

Hadou

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 03:36:31 pm »
The game looks quite buggy atm, (and the price is quite salty too) so I shall wait few months till I have played oblivion over and have nothing else to play and then buy it.
Some interesting bugs:

They're genius! That looks like so much fun.

Offline Ziza

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 05:00:19 pm »
I lol'd so hard at the buckets. Genius indeed!

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Armoured Tanks of Mass Destruction
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 06:55:25 pm »
That is exactly why the Elder Scrolls series doesn't do it for me. If the world won't react properly to my actions, freedom is worthless to me.
"Actually, wooden stakes are for vampires. Wooden steaks are for vegetarians."

Offline gaijin

• Hiding behind the couch
  • Community Supporter
  • "You sound like the Morning Star"
    • Motljus
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 08:05:36 pm »
That is exactly why the Elder Scrolls series doesn't do it for me. If the world won't react properly to my actions, freedom is worthless to me.

I'd agree, but that's also what makes the same argument truly invalid. If the world WOULD react properly (i.e: no magic, no dragons, etc..), what's the point of a game?

Although, the bucket-thing is a bit retarded. Then again, I wasn't really all that impressed with the game/games even before that. ;)
Oi, is this when I get a huge sig-image, start whining about "moar sid" and make nonsensical arguments to no good?

Offline Ziza

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 08:56:06 pm »
Let's be honest, TES was always a bugfest full of awkward animations and absurds and already while watching Skyrim trailers I thought "Hell yeah, shiny as always, stiff as always" but hey, it still was always so fun to play too.

Offline Aeon

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 08:57:37 pm »
Some interesting bugs:
HOLY- Game of the year. It's official. Getting it as soon as I can.

I wonder how the beast races (Khajiits, Argonians) look in this game. If there are any of them in the Skyrim province, of course. You know how they changed them from a little bit beastly in Morrowind to very much humanlike in Oblivion, yes?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 08:59:24 pm by [Aeon] »
No more WoW references. WoW is evil.

Offline Ziza

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2011, 12:43:57 am »
Argonians look great, like a fuckin' dragonmen (at last). Not sure if they still walk like gayish elves since Oblivion.

Offline Crimzen

• Sending You Positive Energy!
    • Sleeping Awake
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2011, 06:39:58 am »
I just killed a dragon in Sneak mode without being detected once... Sneak perk is awesomesauce.

Offline WilllemNL

• Terra Solus
    • Xboxworld - All the news on Xbox 360 in Dutch!
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2011, 09:42:11 am »
I'm loving the game. I think that because of the freedom, it's almost impossible to prevent bugs or glitches. Like the bucket thingy we just saw.

My major complaint with the game is Dragons being to easy. I play on Adept, am lvl. 16 now and the last five Dragons I faced were easy. And hell, the last dragon was a piece of cake, but afterwards I ran into a Drauger Death Overlord, who killed me in two hits.

Also, I saw a dragon who was fighting a number of Ice Wolves. He constantly missed them with his ice attack and simply couldn't kill them... kinda silly.

That having said, the game is soooooo good.  ;D I felt Oblivon was a small step back in comparison to Morrowind, both in content as in quality. Even though Skyrim has even less stats, I have so much more to do! Great.