Author Topic: Future of Graphics Technology  (Read 2451 times)

Offline Chronologix

• SiteDeveloper
  • I am Canadian!

Offline dezo

• ex Defence Against the Dark Arts
  • Machinae Prime
Re: Future of Graphics Technology
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 01:16:24 am »
most impressive

Offline yas‮

• The laziest one.
  • I believe in respawn.
    • Me on SoundCloud
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 04:01:08 am »
Yeah, yeah. I won't believe it till I see it on my PC. They are working on this since early 00's. No effects yet.

UNLIMITED DETAIL.

Offline Blastyr

• Level 80 Lurker
  • Machinae Prime
  • Geek it 'til it MHz.
    • blastyr.net
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 05:07:46 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxtuZE5pOGA

An interview and real-time demo of this technology.

As explained therein, this engine only actually renders one atom for every pixel on your screen, even though the whole of what's visible on the screen is composed of many, many more atoms. I've asked myself for a long time why 3D engines didn't just do this to begin with. It's a much more efficient method of rendering anything, compared to using traditional polygons. And it runs purely in software, because by the time the graphics card is even necesssary, the only thing it needs to do doesn't amount to much more than what it does when rendering a video.

Personally, I'm excited to see what these guys do once they reach the stage of development where they begin to take advantage of all the extra power a discreet graphics card provides.
Now re-engaging lurk mode.

Offline Ziza

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 10:47:54 am »
Looks impressive, yet I believe there is still much work to be done. I'd like to see something actually moving there...

Offline Crazywater

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 01:36:49 pm »
Oh dear. It's impossible to say anything about this unless we know how
- they save all the data for their atoms
- their search algorithm works.

As explained therein, this engine only actually renders one atom for every pixel on your screen, even though the whole of what's visible on the screen is composed of many, many more atoms. I've asked myself for a long time why 3D engines didn't just do this to begin with. It's a much more efficient method of rendering anything, compared to using traditional polygons. And it runs purely in software, because by the time the graphics card is even necesssary, the only thing it needs to do doesn't amount to much more than what it does when rendering a video.
Well, graphics cards discard anything outside of the visible area as early as possible. But how early is that? When do you know if something is still inside the screen? You still have to transform coordinates into screen space and do the perspective division. That's quite expensive. For millions of atoms, impossible in real time. Unless you have some space subdivision scheme, like an octree, which 3D engines already use. Now, the question is how this unlimited detail stuff works in this regard.

Second, running in software is not a good thing. You want to run everything you can on the graphics card because it's massively faster for these applications. But you know that :)

Finally, if you like your idea of rendering stuff per pixel: There's raycasting and raytracing, for example, which is pretty awesome.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 01:57:01 pm by Crazywater »
We're open to such things, we've even talked many times about doing it with Inja, but in a way that's redundant because we can already get Erica
:o brown chicken brown cow :o

Offline Caranfin

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 02:44:26 pm »
^ That.

I'll reserve the excitement for when I actually see that thing rendering a variable environment with motion and some actually gamey things in real time. Also, here is what Notch thinks of it. Not saying he's the ultimate expert of coding stuff, but he has good points.

Offline WereVolvo

• IRC Love Butter supplier
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Volvot ulvoo kuun savuun!
    • My personal site
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 04:27:20 pm »
^ That.

I'll reserve the excitement for when I actually see that thing rendering a variable environment with motion and some actually gamey things in real time. Also, here is what Notch thinks of it. Not saying he's the ultimate expert of coding stuff, but he has good points.

Goddamnit, I was about to post that link too. Beaten!
<@Torp> I have seen your melted pussy!

Real Dwarfs wall themselves in once they are underground, and survive through incest and cat farming.

Hadou

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 09:25:09 pm »
Had I got home from school earlier, I would have ninja'd that link too. Yeah, I have doubts too.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxtuZE5pOGA "You're not getting any cookies from the oven."
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 09:29:44 pm by Hadou »

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 09:27:29 pm »
So, does this mean we can accidentally create black holes when there's enough force to smash atoms against eachother?

« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 09:32:03 pm by Jack Lupino »