Author Topic: Individual song ratings of teh album  (Read 10259 times)

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
Re:Individual song ratings of teh album
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2004, 03:26:19 pm »
well it's great to know that everyone loves completely different songs! means that the album pleases all different people with all different musical tastes ;D

Smeagol

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2004, 07:29:44 pm »
I love the chorus to Ninja, the "Or maybe i'll just kill you in your sleep, just another pointless life sold cheap" so good.

i think you said that already? :)

but yeah i see where you;re coming from i';m beginning to like it...skipping it less anyways

Offline funkaDeena

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2004, 07:48:00 pm »
He sure did say it several times already - to convince us of something? It's a damn good line, I agree! 8)
Resistance is not futile, it only pisses people off :)

Offline robert

• Baka
  • Band Member
  • \,,/_(o-O)_,,i,.
    • Machinae Supremacy
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2004, 08:20:50 pm »
Maybe it's time for my song-by-song review... I figured at first that because I would be consider rather biased, it'd be no point really, but then I thought that wtf, of course there's a point ... So here goes.

Insidious
A personal favourite, no doubt about it. What makes me love it most is the fact that it's about me, in a way, and I really feel this song sometimes... I know I did when I wrote it. Also, the chorus riff and melody are wonderful, imo. And the orchestral part, a little something we call part of the nima's/gibli's theme, sends chills down my spine... Love this song live, too, cause it's just natural and great to play.

Super Steve
This synth melody started as a joke, more or less. And somewhere along the line it became "I dare you, I doubledare you mf... Let's make a song using this happyhappy hook" and so it became... Some parts I love about this song, like the pre-chorus (both music and melody) and Jonne's guitarplay is great... But it's not the song I show first to friends and people I introduce machinae to - actually far from it. Good song, unique and empowering, but still...

Dreadnaught
Fun to play, fun to listen to, but I was actually disappointed in my vocal performance for this one, and I have a hard time not thinking about that when I listen. The song in itself is pure raw beastiness, so I love it in that respect, but it lacks something... Probably the song with the worst audio quality on the album, too.

Flagcarrier
I don't know what to say about this song. I think it's amazing. We wrote it two years ago, but we knew we weren't ready to record it. We only understood stuff like raw shred, so it was laid to rest for the future. Now, when we finally did it, I just have to say it's one of my all -time favourite "slow" songs. Tomas plays great drums on it, the acoustic guitars and strings work together perfectly and the discrete piano in the beginning of the song and at various breaks feel just right. Ericas contribution is of course fantastic, as well. She will return to the machinae studio in the future, no doubt about it.

Return to Snake Mountain
A song about Jonne when he worked at a place called Ormberget, in Luleå. ("Snake Mountain" in English). So this actually ISN'T a reference to Skeletor's castle, although that reference has not gone over our heads. ,]
I love the song, but I hate the snare drum sound on this one, dunno what happened really... Some drum technical mixing difficulties and the drums just sound off in this song (not the performance, the recording). The SID bridge before the solo is one of the coolest things I have ever heard, though. :)

Player One
This song is like a gamer anthem, the song that gives birth to its own religion, almost (yeah, it almost feels like that with those church choirs in the intro).... This song is my favourite, performance-wise on the album. It's perfect. Perhaps not the best song, but there is nothing in this one that disturbs me (which you should know is rather amazing - I'm easily disturbed, a drawback of being a perfectionist). And of course the seemingly gamer-related lyrics are in actuality (also) about something entirely different.

DXM
The guitar in the intro, the first thing you hear, was something i did and played acoustically, slower and it sounded like something a pop band would do. Somehow, it became machinae. Somehow, it became raw and mean and somehow the rest of the song formed around it. The vocals didn't turn out so well, and the form of it is unbalanced. Too long choruses, to little happening, etc.

I love the "loader"-music before the last chorus, but all in all I really don&#
039;t like this song.

Attack Music
It's a classic. I love it. Nuff said.

Ninja
Favourite on the album, lyrix-wise. I feel this song, I really do. Also one of our oldest, written the same day as "Arcade"... I think the drums sound dry on this one, same problem as with Snake... But shit happens, the song is still amazing.

Throttle and Mask
Cool song, really great verse guitars, no compromise-straight on-bitchslappin' music with a cute little SIDish part before the last bit... But this one falls in the same basket as Steve, with me... It's not what I would ever include in a 3-song "this is machinae" pack.

Killer Instinct
Didn't really like how it turned out, but the beat and guitar chuggah is bitchin fat and hard. That I like. Nice harmonies on the chorus, too.

Tempus Fugit
I've noticed a lot of people find this song boring... But I don't. It's very different from anything you'd find on the radio or MTV, obviously, cause it has parts that just sort of go on without progressing or containing melodic hooks and stuff... Still, I really like the sound and the guitars on this one, and the pre-chorus and chorus (especially the last time they come around) are amazing, imho. The vocals might have turned out sounding just a tad bit "unmotivated" or something... Not really sure, but it doesn't bother me, it's just possible that's the case. Anyhow, love it. Also very old song, from back in the day, so it's had time to grow on me, obviously.

Blind Dog Pride
Again a very old song. I love the lyrics and the music, + the metal part in the middle is elite and the lyrics, especially there, are superb. "I never sold my right to decide, it was taken from me"...

I hate the outro / ending. It was good in a previous version of the song, but now it's not.

Machinae Prime
You'll be surprised (or maybe not) to hear that this song was actually given the least time to get finished for this album. It's a rushed song with lots of faults, even though some parts in it are truly great... To me, it feels a bit unfinished. But I still love the beginning and many parts of it. Only way to end the album, imho.

On another note, a friend expressed that he didn't think this sounded like Machinae Supremacy.

Well, get used to it. There'll be more "orchestral" stuff from Machinae Supremacy in the future.

Hope this was fun reading. As I mentioned at the top, I'm obviously biased because I was involved in the making of these songs and I've seen them without their clothes on, so to speak ...  But still, some of you might enjoy seeing what I think about it.

Peace, friends.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2004, 08:23:40 pm by robert »

It's my job to keep SID elite.

---

<WereVolvo> you can't brain today, you have the dumb?

Offline Laser.T

• 日本人ですか?
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2004, 08:55:40 pm »
Wow, thanks for the self-assessment, robert. It's a really interest insight into your personal psychi.

Btw, you've forced (not) me to listen to the album again. I'm listening while reading your post.

But what I really want to ask is: Are you and the guys happy with what you've created? Is it everything you wanted to be? Is there anything you really wish there wasn't? And other questions of that nature.

Oh, and, was Ormberget really so bad that Jonne wanted to go back and kill them all?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2004, 09:13:49 pm by Laser »

Offline robert

• Baka
  • Band Member
  • \,,/_(o-O)_,,i,.
    • Machinae Supremacy
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2004, 11:15:52 pm »
But what I really want to ask is: Are you and the guys happy with what you've created? Is it everything you wanted to be? Is there anything you really wish there wasn't? And other questions of that nature.
I've given you my opinion on the songs, so from that I guess you can read that I'm very happy with it. I might perhaps feel that the mastering didn't quite emphasize the aspects of the music that I wanted to be most apparent. But that's just the audiophile in me speaking...

I think, that in the band, musically, we're all very pleased. We all have our issues with certain songs, of course, like you, the listeners, we don't agree on everything and we are pleased with different things...

But I can say without hesitating that we are all proud of what we have accomplished, what we have been part of and our main focus now, is how to top it on album #2.

Oh, and, was Ormberget really so bad that Jonne wanted to go back and kill them all?
No, he's much better now. Honest. As long as he stays on his meds.

It's my job to keep SID elite.

---

<WereVolvo> you can't brain today, you have the dumb?

Offline Poisoned

• Go Panda Go!
    • GraveZero
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2004, 11:45:39 pm »
lol meds.

I'm surprised at your assessment personally. I've always judged music proportionally to the skill in the lyrics and playing, yet in the songs you didn't like lyrically or musically, I loved them. I guess as a listener I differ than if I was in the band, which I should be! Kahl needs a backup bassist for those dual bass solos you need.

Grave Zero, coming atcha.

Offline Poisoned

• Go Panda Go!
    • GraveZero
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2004, 12:16:21 am »
Hehe sorry about repeating that line so much its just sooo good.

I am rearranging my order a bit.. I'm putting Tempus closer to the top. I said it didn't really spark anything, well it does now... so much so i'm going to paint a mural depicting it some time soon. Probably if its any good, all over my wall in my bedroom. I'm doing Snake Mountain as well as a scene with Machinae Nature, which even though there is nothing in the lyrics much about it I think it reflects Deus Ex Machinae a lot. Its going to be a machine butterfly on a machine flower, with the machinae logo on or behind it somewhere.

Grave Zero, coming atcha.

Offline vanti

• Im the Protogandist!
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2004, 01:06:15 am »
I could have gone for a little more raw sound.. but then I tend to think that about all CDs :)

Guess I should just copy all my CDs onto my 20+ year old cassettes and play them in my car-stereo with shirt buttons for speakers ;)

actually that is the way I prefer to listen to Iron Maiden.. had my sisters old (older than me 23+) cassettes in my car for a couple of years.. when I finally bought the album on CD (Piece of Mind) I thought it sounded very tame compared to the distorted cassettes in my lousy car-stereo  :o
//Vanti - "Don't quote me on this!"

Offline JariWolf

• Rabid MaSu fan wolf
    • Machine Animal @ Last.fm
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2004, 11:43:56 am »
From best to worst.. at the moment. Divided the songs to groups too.

OMG! BEST! I'm going to faint!
-------------------
1. Attack Music
2. Insidious
3. Deus Ex Machinae
4. Player One
5. Flagcarrier
6. Killer Instinct
7. Dreadnaught

Good
-----------------------------------
8. Return To Snake Mountain
9. Throttle And Mask
10. Ninja
11. Super Steve
12. Blind Dog Pride

Okay
---------------------------
13. Machinae Prime
14. Tempus Fugit

The ones I need to listen more: Ninja, Return To Snake Mountain and maybe Tempus Fugit.. If I can give it a chance.

Machinae Prime is so low because I always liked songs with vocals more :)

Attack Music is the only song I have a problem with the mixing but it's one of the best songs ever.. So is Insidious.

Overall one of the best albums ever.

How do you perform Flagcarrier live? Can you perform it without Erica?

I'm looking forward to more orchestral additions. They are great. Erica is very welcome too in my opinion :) Maybe a more duet like song where she sings more?        

Offline spirit.of.fire

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2004, 02:06:00 pm »
One thing is as clear as dew in dusk imo; Machinae Supremacys' music burns atleast my pants off with it's heat. Hopefully the music will be spiced with some humbleness too in the future, but fear not the soft part; it's ok to be humble even though it's rough, it only equals higher quality.
Maybe it'll grow on them while touring in the world :D Otherwise I'm afraid atleast I'll become tired of the somewhat cold and stiff soul in it. The sound is way good, that we all know by now, but the core is still somewhat dry and drained :-\ Perhaps they'll take some more female help from Erica to fill that space up? Sounds at least to me like a damn good idea to be honest.

Offline JariWolf

• Rabid MaSu fan wolf
    • Machine Animal @ Last.fm
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2004, 02:25:00 pm »
What you say?

Smeagol

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2004, 02:33:11 pm »
we get signal ;D

dunno i suppose spirit DOES hae a point but i do disagree though

Offline funkaDeena

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2004, 02:41:48 pm »
we get signal ;D

dunno i suppose spirit DOES hae a point but i do disagree though
lmao!! @ the signal-thingi comment ;D

But why do you disagree? I think as well as you do that Spirit has a POINT ::) and I agree with her. MaSu wouldn't die with more female softness, quite the opposite. But then I appreciate their instrumental songs very much too of course.
Resistance is not futile, it only pisses people off :)

Smeagol

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2004, 02:49:28 pm »
yeah some of the songs could do with a lighter touch on the vocals (eg. flagcarrier a prime example of where it fits perfectly) but to not go OTT  maybe have a rough ratio of 3-10 or so?