Author Topic: Dishonored  (Read 8588 times)

Offline Crimzen

• Sending You Positive Energy!
    • Sleeping Awake
Dishonored
« on: July 26, 2011, 01:59:41 am »
I don't know if any of you get Game Informer, but the cover story was about this game called Dishonored and it looks amazing to me. I'm following this game and I would go on and on about why I think this game is amazing and letting you know everything about it. But the website can do just as good as me trying to explain.

http://www.gameinformer.com/p/dishonored.aspx

Let me know what you think! I for one...am stoked!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 02:03:17 am by LuckysRevenge »

Offline Caranfin

Re: Dishonored
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 02:09:27 am »
Yeah I linked that cover reveal thing in the new game anticipation thread a while ago. I didn't know there was more information on the game, but the bit I read sounded very cool. I'm going to have to delve a bit deeper. This is definitely a game I'm going to follow with interest.

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 05:11:47 am »
Anything to do with the developers of the original Deus Ex is of relevant interest to me.
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Offline Crimzen

• Sleeping Awake
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 08:06:52 am »
Oh yes, and the developer of Thief as well. This game is going to be beast. More people need to know about this game.

Offline Caranfin

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 12:22:45 pm »
Wait, what? Thief? This has people who worked at Looking Glass Studios?

Offline Crimzen

• Sleeping Awake
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 12:24:35 pm »
That's what it said in my Game Informer xD

Offline Traikan

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 08:33:33 pm »
I'm so pumped for this. I loved the melee combat system in Dark Messiah but the rest of the game was pretty lackluster. Dishonored looks like it's picking up all that slack, and the art style is simply fantastic.

Offline Caranfin

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 01:51:23 pm »
Time to dig up this old thread, since I recently bumped into this title again and it's looking beyond awesome.

First off, here's a few videos:
CGI Debut Trailer
Stealthy, Gruesome Murder, information on the story, some player abilities and general level design.
Creating Steampunk Beauty, mainly concerns art direction.

And then there's this article: http://sneakybastards.net/theobserver/the-man-in-the-iron-mask/

Of main interest (to me at least) are these bits:
Quote from: Sneaky Bastards
With its unbreaking first-person perspective, light and shadow system, intriguing AI innovations, suite of supernatural powers and overpowering ambience, what I saw of Dishonored evoked the very title that was the genesis of the stealth genre and Sneaky Bastards itself: Thief.
Ghosting levels is a big part of Dishonored’s expert-level stealth gameplay. Though each mission is an assassination, it’s possible to make your targets ‘disappear’ without killing them

And this whole thing at the end:
If guards only think they heard you, they come and investigate,” says Smith. “If they think they saw you, they come and investigate and comment – ‘What was that?’. But if they don’t actually confirm that you were there – they don’t, for instance, find you or find a body – then they put away their weapons and say ‘Ah, it was nothing,’ and go back to their patrols. And they don’t just religiously follow their patrols. They’re sometimes pulled off by a painting in the environment, or a fireplace, or a rat that they want to stomp – these little dynamic things – and then they go back to the patrol. So that factors into the situation as well. However, if they ever actually engage you – they for sure know you’re there, and fight you, or find a body you’ve left behind – they never fully cool down. They will conclude that maybe you left – ‘Ah, he got away! Let’s keep an eye out!’ – but they will stay at a minimal level of alert after that. They’re not going to conclude it was nothing.

If guards only think they heard you, they come and investigate,” says Smith. “If they think they saw you, they come and investigate and comment – ‘What was that?’. But if they don’t actually confirm that you were there – they don’t, for instance, find you or find a body – then they put away their weapons and say ‘Ah, it was nothing,’ and go back to their patrols. And they don’t just religiously follow their patrols. They’re sometimes pulled off by a painting in the environment, or a fireplace, or a rat that they want to stomp – these little dynamic things – and then they go back to the patrol. So that factors into the situation as well. However, if they ever actually engage you – they for sure know you’re there, and fight you, or find a body you’ve left behind – they never fully cool down. They will conclude that maybe you left – ‘Ah, he got away! Let’s keep an eye out!’ – but they will stay at a minimal level of alert after that. They’re not going to conclude it was nothing.”

Not only is there a slight randomisation to guard positions each time a level is played, but their patrol routes are not set in absolute. A guard may follow a set path, but randomly get distracted by looking at a painting, or choosing to spend a few moments warming his hands by the fireplace. These moments provide players with the opportunity to slip through unnoticed, and must be watched out for and exploited whenever possible.

“The guards notice when a patrol route has been vacated,” Smith adds. “Sometimes they change routes to make up for it.”

So yeah, this might be the most excited I've been about a game in a long time.

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Armoured Tanks of Mass Destruction
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 10:39:48 pm »
This really seems like my game.
"Actually, wooden stakes are for vampires. Wooden steaks are for vegetarians."

Offline Caranfin

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 05:02:43 am »
I'm a bit concerned the various abilities and fighting ability in the player's possession might make the game a bit too easy overall, like Human Revolution. Of course, it seems like HR was designed to be completable without any augmentations, which is why some of them were powerful enough to completely trivialize most encounters in the game. I also really hope that taking stealth-specific powers will put me in a huge disadvantage in a combat situation, since I feel a large part of the tension in a stealth game is lost if you know you can just murder anyone who gets up in your grill about trespassing.

Offline Caranfin

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 06:18:17 pm »
A gameplay trailer has been released: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ITq0hXCCB0

Doesn't show much stealth gameplay at all, but I'm now definitely sold on the art style. Plus the Drunken Sailor rendition they're using for the trailer is brilliant and creepy.

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Armoured Tanks of Mass Destruction
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 07:58:55 pm »
Let's just hope they release some trailers with stealth gameplay in them soon, then =)

Also, I'm with you on the art style. Awesome.
"Actually, wooden stakes are for vampires. Wooden steaks are for vegetarians."

Hadou

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2012, 01:14:02 am »
Ho yes, this is one to watch. Looks to be an epic game, if they don't screw it up. *Fingers crossed*

Offline Caranfin

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2012, 01:54:27 am »
Some more gameplay from E3. A short bit with sneaking and showing off some powers.

http://www.g4tv.com/videos/58810/dishonored-e3-gameplay-demo/#video-58767

Okay so I'm completely and totally sold now. That stealth looks almost exactly like I hoped it would.

Hadou

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2012, 02:59:05 am »
Awesome, this looks like it could be my perfect game! Plus, endless blinking?