Author Topic: Frozen Synapse  (Read 3356 times)

Offline Caranfin

Frozen Synapse
« on: June 01, 2011, 04:28:56 pm »

Frozen Synapse is a pretty new and very cool Simultaneous-Turn Based Tactics game by UK based indie developer Mode 7 Games. It is very pretty, and extremely fun to play.

Simultaneous-Turn Based Tactics might take some explaining. Every turn is played in two phases: the planning phase and the outcome phase. During the planning phase, both players plan and refine their moves. Aiding in this is the "play"-feature, which basically just plays out the next turn according to your plan and the last known positions of enemy units (which you can also give orders to in order to test your plans against different enemy tactics). Once both players have committed their moves, the game moves on to the outcome phase in which all moves are played simultaneously. The game then moves on to the next planning phase. It might sound complicated, but I assure you that's just due to bad explaining on my part. In action it's all very intuitive and fun.

The game is at it's most fun in multiplayer. There are several modes: Hostage Rescue, Disputed, Secure, Extermination, and Charge. I've only just started (8 games finished) and have so far only played Extermination, which is just a straightforward "kill the enemy" type of deal. Every mode also has a "light" version, in which you can always see your opponent's units, and a "dark" version, in which you only have their starting position and last known locations to base your plans around. I can't really comment on the quality of the online players as, like I said, I haven't played for very long yet. All games are 1-on-1, but the makers are apparently trying to include a 2-on-2 mode.

There's also a 55-mission cyberpunky single player campaign. I've played it a bit and, while the gameplay is still fun and the storyline is pretty nice, the dialogue is pretty bland and the AI is occasionally pretty retarded (I recall it killing some of it's own units with rockets at times) and I much prefer playing against human opponents. There is a co-op mode in the works according to the website.

Gameplay Specifics
Ordering the units around is very simple. Having selected a unit to move, you can doubleclick on the map to place waypoints. Right clicking on anywhere on the unit's path of movement allows you to issue additional parameters like a specific aiming direction, ducking/standing, ignoring specific enemies and focusing on an enemy unit. Most of your units stop and shoot at any enemies they see and return fire when fired upon by default, but this can be changed. When two units fire on each other, the winner is decided by several factors: cover, movement and range AFAIR. The unit behind better cover has an advantage, and a unit standing still has the advantage over a moving one. Different weapons have different advantages according to range.

All the maps are semi-randomly generated, which occasionally causes some very annoying starting conditions, but so far I have never got into a situation I couldn't have escaped from. In multiplayer, the outcome phase is handled by a server when it has received the turn plan from both players, which means you can effectively play-by-mail. I've currently got like five different matches waiting for my opponent to finish their turn.

Units
Units come in two categories: standard and support. Standard troops engage the enemy with direct-fire weapons whenever they see them, while support units only fire when commanded to and employ highly destructive explosive weapons.

Shotgun - Short range advantage (duh)
Machine Gun - Fires wild full-auto barrages. Not very accurate and usually takes several shots to hit an enemy. Advantage at mid-range.
Sniper - Slow to fire, but doesn't miss if it can get a shot in. Superior long-range weapon.

Grenade Launcher - Fires timed explosive grenades, which you can bounce from walls and over cover. Very good explosive range.
Rocket Launcher - Direct-fire, and extremely destructive. Can only hit walls or cover AFAIK, but the explosion destroys environment.

Other Features
Frozen Synapse has some sort of Twitter- and Facebook integration, which I haven't tested as I don't use either. It also apparently features an integrated Youtube-exporter so you can encode your games into youtube videos and upload them from inside the game. I'm going to test that tonight and check if it works yet.

System Requirements

PC
    OS Requirements: Windows XP, Vista, 7
    Ram: 512meg
    Processor/Gfx card: will run on low-end modern hardware (e.g. netbooks)

Mac
    OS Requirements: OSX Leopard or later
    Ram: 512meg
    Processor/Gfx card: 1GHZ PowerPC (or Intel)

Gameplay Videos
I'm gonna post some good gameplay videos from my games if I get the Youtube thing working (EDIT: Hey, would you look at that. It works.)

Gameplay Video #1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5fSLmrx5F0
Gameplay Video #2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ-_CEfvW5E
Gameplay Video #3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz1MMdyofrY
Gameplay Video #4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XOi_PNErUo

Launch trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOlV_9DYnOw

Reviews
Bit-Tech (beta impressions)
The Wargamer
Eurogamer

Obligatory TL;DR: Learn to read. Also, this is a very cool tactics game and you're missing out if you aren't playing it. Check the videos.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 04:51:34 pm by Caranfin »

Hadou

Re: Frozen Synapse
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 05:58:24 pm »
I'm thinking about buying this game. I don't have £15 to spend, but it comes with a second copy, that I can give to someone. If someone were to give me £7.65 (half of the current on-sale price) we can split it and I can give you the second copy. PM me if you're interested.

Offline Caranfin

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 04:50:24 pm »
I assume you didn't get a game, Hadou, as I haven't seen you playing the game. Here's a thread on the official forums for giving away spare games. I looked through it and apparently there's more demand than there's supply, but it might be worth it to give it a chance.

Also, a couple of gameplay videos because I'm a big baby and need to boost my fragile ego by advertising what limited success I get:

Explosions Everywhere
Distract and Maneuver

Hadou

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 09:13:10 pm »
I assume you didn't get a game, Hadou, as I haven't seen you playing the game. Here's a thread on the official forums for giving away spare games. I looked through it and apparently there's more demand than there's supply, but it might be worth it to give it a chance.

Also, a couple of gameplay videos because I'm a big baby and need to boost my fragile ego by advertising what limited success I get:

Explosions Everywhere
Distract and Maneuver

Yeah well, it's on sale on Steam, so I bought it. I still have the second copy, so if anyone wants to give me some money, I'd be totally willing to give you the second copy. I bought it for £9.49, so if you do want it, work on giving me about half of that :D

Offline Caranfin

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 10:00:35 pm »
Good job. Which server are you on? I'm on UK1 under the name Caranfin.

EDIT: Also, look at all the pretty explosions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFq1N8Pjk6g
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 03:03:27 am by Caranfin »

Hadou

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 01:04:35 pm »
Good job. Which server are you on? I'm on UK1 under the name Caranfin.

EDIT: Also, look at all the pretty explosions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFq1N8Pjk6g

I'm also on UK1, and I'm OxoCuboid.

Offline Wiinis

• Excuse me, I'm off to play the grand piano
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 10:01:42 pm »
Briefly popping back from a long hiatus to announce that I still have an extra copy of Frozen Synapse, if somebody wants it. Hit me up on Steam (nick: Wiinis) or send me a personal message here on the forums if you're interested.

Spiral out, keep going

Offline gaijin

• Hiding behind the couch
  • Community Supporter
  • "You sound like the Morning Star"
    • Motljus
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 10:09:03 pm »
Briefly popping back from a long hiatus to announce that I still have an extra copy of Frozen Synapse, if somebody wants it. Hit me up on Steam (nick: Wiinis) or send me a personal message here on the forums if you're interested.

I'll grab it, if you're in the generous mood. I'm gaijin. ;)
Oi, is this when I get a huge sig-image, start whining about "moar sid" and make nonsensical arguments to no good?

Offline Caranfin

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2011, 10:17:04 pm »
Oh hey this thread. I'm still playing on and off, and would definitely be up for a game or two if anyone wants to play. Just throw me a challenge in-game or contact me through this forum or on Steam (Caranfin is the nick IIRC).

I can also give tactical pointers and tips and the like to anyone who asks. I'm probably not among the best players in the world, but I do have a pretty good record and I believe I understand the tactics part fairly well.

Offline Wiinis

• Excuse me, I'm off to play the grand piano
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 10:21:34 pm »
Oh, that was quick. Sent the copy to gaijin! Hope you enjoy it man. :P

Oh hey this thread. I'm still playing on and off, and would definitely be up for a game or two if anyone wants to play. Just throw me a challenge in-game or contact me through this forum or on Steam (Caranfin is the nick IIRC).

I can also give tactical pointers and tips and the like to anyone who asks. I'm probably not among the best players in the world, but I do have a pretty good record and I believe I understand the tactics part fairly well.

"Pretty good record"? Let us not mince words here, your record is astonishing and you know it. :)

Spiral out, keep going

Offline Caranfin

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 10:33:04 pm »
Weeellll. Yes. The numbers are very good. They just aren't a good indicator of my skill level, since most of my games are against random people, who are mostly not terribly good. It can't be effectively compared to the people who play in tournaments and such, since they come up with better players more often.