Author Topic: Kosjer topic.  (Read 3422 times)

Offline machinaeFREAK

Kosjer topic.
« on: April 28, 2011, 05:03:25 pm »
So, as some of you may or may not have read, Holland is trying to make ritual slaughter illegal. The Jewish community has ofcourse been shocked by this, and believes that their methods are actual more humane than those in the factories.
That's the thing I've been wondering about. Is it really true that it's more humane? I don't think so, because slitting the throat of an animal seems less humane to me than a shot to the head. Some people use the argument '15% to 17% of the shots to the head go wrong, and that's horrible for those creatures'. Well I'd rather prefer a shot to the head than my throat slit open and wandering around aimlessly for about 10-15 sec, only to collapse after that.

My opinion: Ban those ways. I don't care if you can't eat meat then; here in Holland we got clear policies about it and people should keep to those.
"The way of the ninja is the way of life, when lightning strikes once a ninja strikes twice"

Hadou

Re: Kosjer topic.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 06:53:01 pm »
So, as some of you may or may not have read, Holland is trying to make ritual slaughter illegal. The Jewish community has ofcourse been shocked by this, and believes that their methods are actual more humane than those in the factories.
That's the thing I've been wondering about. Is it really true that it's more humane? I don't think so, because slitting the throat of an animal seems less humane to me than a shot to the head. Some people use the argument '15% to 17% of the shots to the head go wrong, and that's horrible for those creatures'. Well I'd rather prefer a shot to the head than my throat slit open and wandering around aimlessly for about 10-15 sec, only to collapse after that.

My opinion: Ban those ways. I don't care if you can't eat meat then; here in Holland we got clear policies about it and people should keep to those.

I'm not dutch, but I say if you want to practise your religion, you do it under the laws of where you live, and if you don't want to, move away.
But meh, I'm not Jewish either.

Offline yas‮

• The laziest one.
  • I believe in respawn.
    • Me on SoundCloud
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 09:04:28 pm »
Yeah, Netherlands seem to always do good politics first. I really think that the general moral code should always be above any religion. You let Jews slaughter animals and next thing you see is Muslims legally killing their women.

Offline Ziza

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 12:41:19 am »
Seconded everyone. Laws over religion, that's for sure.

Also... wow, this suprised me as a whole! Are they still holding ritual slaughters in civilized communities nowadays =O?

Offline Crimzen

• Sending You Positive Energy!
    • Sleeping Awake
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 07:00:57 am »
Definitely I mean everyone should have the right to their own religion and their beliefs. There should be a moral code here that governs over what you can or can't do. If it's acceptable in your religion's country of origin well I got an idea for you. MOVE.

In California you can sacrifice animals in the name of religion but if a dog runs out in front of you on the interstate and you kill it, you get a fine...tell me the logic here.

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 02:15:43 pm »
IMO, we should humanely slaughter religion as a whole.

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Armoured Tanks of Mass Destruction
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 03:21:44 pm »
If illegalizing Kosher and Halal slaughter was because it makes animals suffer, then they'd have started with heavier legislation of animal handling in a more general sense (hey, if you care about the sheep, maybe you should illegalize the f-ing meat factories first).
This is obviously a symptom of rampant xenophobia and right-wing populism rather than any care for the animals' well being.
This kind of targeted legislation hurts society in the long term. While I agree that religion is secondary to common sense, and is no longer needed in today's society, working actively towards its eradication will only create more extremity on both sides. Something as old, complex and deeply rooted as religion needs to die slowly, fade away because it's no longer needed. Working aggressively against it would be like trying to pour water on burning oil (try it).
"Actually, wooden stakes are for vampires. Wooden steaks are for vegetarians."

Offline Ziza

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 04:34:24 pm »
If illegalizing Kosher and Halal slaughter was because it makes animals suffer, then they'd have started with heavier legislation of animal handling in a more general sense (hey, if you care about the sheep, maybe you should illegalize the f-ing meat factories first).
This is obviously a symptom of rampant xenophobia and right-wing populism rather than any care for the animals' well being.
This kind of targeted legislation hurts society in the long term. While I agree that religion is secondary to common sense, and is no longer needed in today's society, working actively towards its eradication will only create more extremity on both sides. Something as old, complex and deeply rooted as religion needs to die slowly, fade away because it's no longer needed. Working aggressively against it would be like trying to pour water on burning oil (try it).

This, on the other hand, is also absolutely true. Yet I cannot completely agree with the statement about religion dying on it's own - most of it definitely will, but when it comes to extremists and many confessional states (by those I mostly mean Islamic countries)... it's not that easy.

The problem is, not many governments have guts to really stand against the aggressive inflow of such cultures, while eradicating those "more balanced" (being much easier of course) will only widen the gap. Sometimes you can get the feeling that more and more European countries are as fond of fighting off their own religions as letting the foreign ones in.

But...

In California you can sacrifice animals in the name of religion but if a dog runs out in front of you on the interstate and you kill it, you get a fine...

... this still remains true and as ridiculous as it sounds.

Offline Bearfoot

• They're coming to take me away ha ha!
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 10:47:15 pm »
Interesting topic.

I would say if you ask the animal NO method of slaughter is humane...

Just saying.
I'm only one, but still I am one.  I can't do everything, but I can do something-
Hellen Kieller

"There are never enough reasons to get drunk. I, for example am going out tomorrow to celebrate.. um.. Tuesday.:
Lexx β