Author Topic: Shogun 2: Total War  (Read 6328 times)

Offline Caranfin

Shogun 2: Total War
« on: April 08, 2011, 12:42:01 am »
Yes, it's officially called Total War: Shogun 2 now, but that's a silly name.

For those of you who don't know, Total War is a hybrid strategy game series by Creative Assembly, combining turn-based resource management and empire building with real-time tactical combat. It's primary selling points are the huge real-time battles with sometimes thousands of independently animated soldiers poking each other to death for the glory of your empire, as well as the hilarious amount of bugs each and every one of the games has been launched with. Well, to be fair, that second one isn't a major selling point is it? It's a pretty expansive game and it's late so I'm not going to go into detail on how everything in the game works. Go read Wikipedia if you don't know, but are interested.

Anyway, the newest entry has been out for several weeks now and it's pretty sweet. It'll even look pretty sweet once CA get off their arses and fix the DX11 support and add anti-aliasing, which is completely missing from the game at the moment. Still, it plays pretty good. The AI is improved, though still prone to hilarious suicidal charges with the general of his army, and the campaign is fun. So if you liked the campaign gameplay in all the other Total War games (at least until Empire), it's a pretty solid buy.

However, my major interest in the game isn't singleplayer. CA have completely revamped the multiplayer experience with a new matchmaking system, a very cool-seeming clan warfare ladder system, and the ability to customise your avatar general with pimp new headgear and other apparel. He also levels up with experience so you can invest points in a variety of skills, as do your regular units after you use them for a while and they gain veteran status. You can also make them wear pink clothes if that's your thing.

So, I distantly remember there being Total War players around here some years ago when Medieval 2 was going strong. Anyone still play and want to maybe set up a multiplayer match sometime? Anyone got the money and the hardware to run the game and nothing better to do? If so, sweet, let's go make little samurai kick each other in the balls.

TL;DR: It's a game. Go buy it so we can play. Make sure you have a PC.

Offline Caranfin

Re: Shogun 2: Total War
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 03:22:12 am »
Double post due to this second part being HUGE.

I had the most awesome of multiplayer fights a while ago, and seeing as I kind of feel this thread lacks pictures, I thought I should kill two peasants with one arrow. SO HERE GOES: EPIC BATTLE REPORT

I got unexpectedly bumped to a lower fund-level for this battle, having only half the funds I'm used to. I had to build a somewhat decent low-fund army pretty fast, but I don't really feel like it hindered my performance at all. What did hinder my performance was occasional stupidity. :P

Anyway, my army composition (pictured below) was as follows:

1st line: two bow ashigaru (peasant bowmen fro skirmishing and harassment)
2nd line: two katana samurai (superb melee units)
3rd line: two veteran yari ashigaru (peasant spearmen, reserve and anti-cavalry unit)
behind these is my general and a unit of light cavalry. The banner for my other unit of light cavalry is visible as well, hidden in the trees in the distance. This was a really stupid place for that cavalry unit, as you'll notice.

Picture link

Below is my opponent's army:

1st line: Katana samurai, no-dachi samurai (great in charge, crap in standing combat)
2nd line: yari ashigaru, two katana samurai, another yari ashigaru
3rd line: bow samurai (more accurate than bow ashigaru, can hold their own in melee for a while)
And behind them is the general.

Picture

Looking at our armies, I saw I had a definite ranged advantage and would do well to prolong the skirmishing and archer use as long as I could, while trying to harass his melee troops and possibly drop his general with cavalry had I the chance to get past his spearmen. I immediately started forwards with my entire army, walking my hidden cavalry unit forwards in the woods, in hope that I would get to a good flanking position once our battle lines would meet. However, my enemy did not move at all and thus I was forced to move the unit out of the trees and into the open. Had I placed it in the woods on the other side, I would have been able to walk it around the entire map only to emerge right behind my enemy's formation. As it was, I decided to enter another small wood on my enemy's flank and threaten his army from a hidden position in the woods, possibly drawing a hasty response I could use to my advantage. Meanwhile, I kept moving the main part of my army forwards.

Picture

I get into the trees with the cavalry without incident, the only response from my opponent being a slight rearrangement of his units. He moved his archers in front of his army (but really really close to it), while arranging his spearmen to better cover his flanks from my cavalry. After a while, my army gets into proper range and I send my archers forward to skirmish and cause damage to his bowmen. To assist in this, I send my second unit of cavalry forwards in an effort to harass his bowmen into retreating a bit and thus being unable to fire at my bowmen.

Picture

My cavalry closes upon my enemy's lines, drawing a hail of fire arrows from my opponent's bowmen and prompting him to try to cut my charge off with his spearmen. I command the cavalry to retreat a bit, having suffered heavy losses from extremely accurate arrow fire.

Picture

I keep my cavalry close to his army as a threat, and he starts moving his spearmen back onto the flank. Seeing this, I order my cavalry to charge his bowmen, who I think are now left unprotected. I did, however, not notice them retreating behind his main lines and my cavalry unit crashes straight into his block of no-dachi samurai and quickly routs. This was stupid, I should've been more patient with them and kept them threatening his army longer, maybe putting off his inevitable melee offensive and giving my archers more time to rain death upon his ranks. At the same time, I bring my second unit of cavalry out of the forest and threaten the rear of his army.

Picture

He relocates his second unit of spearmen to rear guard, and charges with his front line: a unit of slightly damaged no-dachi samurai and a katana samurai unit. The rest of his army, except for his spearmen, soon follows, and I pull my bows back behind my lines while I run around with my remaining cavalry unit, trying to find an opening in his spear-micromanagement I could charge through to his remaining bows or his generals. This opening is not forthcoming, and my opponent admirably blocks all of my attempts at charging. Meanwhile our battle lines meet for the first time in earnest.

Picture

Seeing his continued success in halting my cavalry charges with his spearmen, he orders one of them to join in the main fray, while the second wave of his units crashes into my front lines. His general is a bit away from his front lines, and as a result cannot provide the morale bonus to his troops and his first line starts to waver, no-dachis completely outclassed in a standing melee combat on my left flank.

Picture

Just as his left flank's (my right) first unit routs, his general moves forward to reinforce the morale of the rest of his troops. He reinforces his right flank's no-dachi with the spearmen he pulled out from rear-guard, and I move my spearmen to flank on both sides focusing on his general's unit with my bows. My left flank starts weakening under the enemy's overpowering force, while my right holds.

Picture

Suddenly, my right-side katana samurai rout, as do his no-dachi on my line's left side. Finally seeing an opening in my opponent's spears, I charge my cavalry into his general's unit, hoping to kill his general and deal a devastating blow to his army's morale. My right side is terribly weak, having only a unit of peasant spearmen against his katana samurai. They are completely outclassed.

Picture

His spearmen come to the aid of his general, and manage to rout my light cavalry. At the same time my right flank routs completely, and my left flank is barely holding together. My only remaining unit of katana samurai routs from the left side of my line, leaving only a unit of yari ashigaru in the melee.

Picture

His unit of katana samurai on my right flank starts running after my routing peasants, and I opt to charge into their back with my general's bodyguard while the rest of his units pour through the huge gap in my line. His spearmen see this and start to cut my general off, but I tie them down with one of my bow-units, committing them into melee combat in a last attempt to salvage this battle.

Picture

My general manages to rout the katana unit he was after, and charges at my enemy's remaining archers. My remaining unit of spearmen has routed and his units are locked in melee with my archers.

Picture

When his bows rout, I charge my general into the rear of his  general's bodyguard.

Picture

Both of my bow ashigaru finally rout, while I charge my general through his general's unit (dealing some damage but not killing the general) and his remaining unit of katana samurai, and back again. I manage to rout both units, leaving my general's severely diminished bodyguard and my opponent's lone surviving unit of yari ashigaru the only ones left fighting while the rest of our armies retreat, shattered. I run away from his charging spears with my general, thinking of a strategy and waiting for the effects of his general's rally-ability to wear off of them.

Picture

After a bit, when his spearmen are starting to waver due to losing the comfort of their general, I dismount my general's bodyguard (even peasant spearmen are really good against cavalry), and charge in for a last stand of truly epic quality. 17 samurai against 101 horribly tired peasants with spears.

Picture

My unit fights heroically, and before long, the numbers are thirteen against eighty eight.

Picture

But it was not meant to be. A lucky peasant manages to deal a lethal blow to my general, routing the rest of my army. After a harsh battle, both generals have been defeated and both of our armies reduced to shatters. The only unit left standing on the battlefield is a group of horribly tired peasant spearmen.

Here lies my general

TL;DR: I had an awesome fight, which came down to just one unit on each side by the end. See almost pretty pictures in imgur gallery.

Also, if anyone knows how I could have cute little thumbnail pictures for each of those screenshots in this post, preferrably linking to the full-size ones, I'd be grateful. As it is, there aren't a lot of pictures visible in this thread after all. I tried I tried [ url=url for image ][ img width=xxx height=xxx ]url for image[ /img ][ /url ], but it just crapped out the preview and I'm too tired to try to fix it.

Offline gaijin

• Hiding behind the couch
  • Community Supporter
  • "You sound like the Morning Star"
    • Motljus
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 07:02:31 pm »
Dude, your men are all tiny. Grow them bigger, they'll be more dangerous that way. And easier to hit, but.. you know, can't have it all. HULK SMAAAAAAAAAAAAASH.
Oi, is this when I get a huge sig-image, start whining about "moar sid" and make nonsensical arguments to no good?

Offline Caranfin

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 07:46:01 pm »
I know, I've tried everything but they just won't eat more. Wily bastards just sell off all the extra rice.

It's kind of sad, really.

Hadou

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 09:42:30 pm »
That game looks so sweet. I want it, but I have no money. I have to spend it on slightly more important things like a new keyboard (My CTRL key is broked) and the new FOO FIGHTERS ALBUMBUMBUMBUMBUMBUMBUMBUMBUM.

Offline Caranfin

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 10:39:53 pm »
Sod Foo Fighters, the only music you'll need is the heavenly tune that plays after you crush your enemy's army in multiplayer. Well, also in singleplayer really. It's just that much better when it's a human opponent. The soundtrack in this game is really rather good, as is the overall visual presentation.

Ninja Edit: However, for all of my raving of "GO BUY SHOGUN 2 NOW", I do feel the need to warn that the game is extremely buggy. Like, hilariously so. The campaign map lags annoyingly, the singleplayer AI is pretty crap, and the multiplayer just plain gets broken sometimes. I've had the game crash for the most inexplicable reasons, like checking my clan's status in the clan warfare thing. I've also frequently been forced to quit the game, manually close Shogun 2 through the Task Manager because for some reasion the process failed to quit, then restart Steam and verify the Shogun 2 game cache, just because the game suddenly decided it didn't want to hook me up with a multiplayer match anymore.

Hadou

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 05:02:57 pm »
Sod Foo Fighters, the only music you'll need is the heavenly tune that plays after you crush your enemy's army in multiplayer. Well, also in singleplayer really. It's just that much better when it's a human opponent. The soundtrack in this game is really rather good, as is the overall visual presentation.

Ninja Edit: However, for all of my raving of "GO BUY SHOGUN 2 NOW", I do feel the need to warn that the game is extremely buggy. Like, hilariously so. The campaign map lags annoyingly, the singleplayer AI is pretty crap, and the multiplayer just plain gets broken sometimes. I've had the game crash for the most inexplicable reasons, like checking my clan's status in the clan warfare thing. I've also frequently been forced to quit the game, manually close Shogun 2 through the Task Manager because for some reasion the process failed to quit, then restart Steam and verify the Shogun 2 game cache, just because the game suddenly decided it didn't want to hook me up with a multiplayer match anymore.

Heh. Also, I will never "sod" the Foo Fighters. Second only to MaSu, they are my life :P

EDIT: Went  to download the soundtrack after just that song :P Sounds epic.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 05:07:14 pm by Hadou »

Hadou

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 09:11:20 pm »
DOuble posting again, but I'm sure no one will mind. Used the last dregs of my amazon gift certificate and bought Shogun 2. I'm now poor again, but it looks fun!