Author Topic: What's the craic?  (Read 4399 times)

Offline megadokyo

• Everybody gets one.
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Ima ween!
    • HyperDuck SoundWorks
What's the craic?
« on: March 19, 2011, 01:45:02 am »
Hi guys! How you all been? What you been up to over the last year? I thought I would drop in and say helloooooooOOOoo.. now that I have done that, I will lurk until this thread fills up with negative anecdotes and a feature about a chicken that is tough as fuck. Come on Rad, you can do it.

I finished University in England in May 2010, my 2010 was pretty bad family wise and just keeping it together.. wise.. I lost my granny on my mums side and my grandad on my dads side within 4 months of each other, my granny died just as I managed to move home from England. Which was pretty gutting as I knew she was sick and couldn't afford to balance my final year in Uni with flying back and forth to Ireland each weekend. Anyway, that was a bummer. But I'm doing well now, I living with the family for the foreseeable future and working with Dan on soundtrack work and sound design projects. We're busy, but not well known yet, I think after this year though, we will see some of our big projects come out and that will hopefully lead to good times. Great times even, but baby steps, good times are acceptable for now.

I've officially become a music teacher. Nailed my degree by the way, as did Dan, so I just have to get past the fact that there are very little job opportunities in Belfast for music practicioners at the moment. Anyway my music teaching job will start in April, apart from that, looking for other jobs to fill the void and working my butt off on game soundtrack commissioned jobs! Which is great, since.. doing lots of free work can be cruel on the old wallet.

Aside from that. Nothing much else, I have a year of holidays planned out, I mean weddings in countries that are not this one, which is another money buster, but travelling is great, and I want to do more of it. PJ is nailing the travelling thing, he's a pro traveller these days.

So yeah, fill me in guys and girls, i'd love to hear how you've all been doing!

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Armoured Tanks of Mass Destruction
Re: What's the craic?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 05:50:03 pm »
Sounds sweet mon, working on my bachelor's thesis in Computer Science myself. Jumping onto a Master's Program in interaction design next semester. Acquired two cats. Enjoying life. Kinda.
"Actually, wooden stakes are for vampires. Wooden steaks are for vegetarians."

Offline ~futilite~

• I have the [Sticky Lizard's Socks of Coolness] :)
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 07:03:43 pm »
Nice to see you again!
I'm still studying.

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Dignity! Strength! Love!
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 07:22:10 pm »
Nice to hear 'bout you :D Sorry 'bout your losses, still good to hear that you're doing good now.

Last year I got depressed from injuring at workplace, truck crashed on my car at motorway (totalled car but nobody got injured, thank God, since my girlfriend and son were with me when that happened), got engaged, lost my grandmother, got married, managed to put baby on the way (will be arriving on 29th of April) and saw Machinae Supremacy live.
Random ramblings and furious feminine novels per versatility.

Offline cloudstrifex

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 04:13:47 am »
Hey dude, glad to see you back! I've been through a tough year as well but things can only get better right?

Offline megashroom°

• Things!
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 05:29:11 pm »
The amount of soundtracks you've been doing is quite an accomplishment really. Always leet stuff. I hope it all goes well in the future.
Good to hear you got your degree and came out of university intact btw.

Myself I'm probably heading for uni in autumn this year, Game Design & Graphics. Studying concept art right now and working on an album when I'm able to dig out some spare time.
I'll probably try getting myself some soundtrack work when the album is out.

Lawl, I had to look up word craic. Wikpedia delivers:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craic
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 05:33:46 pm by Likfisken »

Offline megadokyo

• Everybody gets one.
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Ima ween!
    • HyperDuck SoundWorks
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 11:30:06 am »
It really sounds like some of you had hit the tough but are enjoying the good times now. Gravehill glad to see you too powered through and eventually had some pretty awesome things happen for you, hope you name the child after me of course. Not my real name, Chris, Megadokyo. Of course.

Good shit evilcandybag, i found my favourite times were the first two years of Uni studying, it's so nice knowing you're dedicating your time to learning and nailing the goal at hand. I sense you will continue to nail things. For the greater future of nailing.

Hey futilite! We are always studying, even when it's not academic! Except for right now, right now I'm not studying. Later I will. But now.. no. No. Hope you're doing well :)

Cloud, that's entirely true, I shared a 2010 too man, but it's one year out of many good ones to come, so chin up and all that carry on!

Tom :D thanks mate, you're very kind to say so, twice! Legendary complimenting skills, makes me feel all warm and fuzzed. Yeah, I did a BA Honours in Jazz, Commercial & Popular Music. Needless to say it was the hardest level of music i've ever risen to, as it was Grade 8 standard and above. I needed Grade 8 standard to be allowed IN, so the audition lasted like 3 hours. Anyway, I'm glad it is over now in a way, the practical exams always gave me the willies :( dunno why, I always knew them off by heart but yeah, closed in spaces facing a desk of examiners, me no likey.

GIMME A STAGE AND A CROWD OF ADORING EXAMINERS! YEAHHHH!!

That's good to hear about your Uni plans. I sense you will be one of these ultra multi-talented folk who will never require the help of anybody except me, for bringing you cups of tea when I go bust (it's only a matter of time before I crack and put fart noises into a commission soundtrack without permission) O_O.

Haha, that's a fine description of craic.

Forum seems a bit airy, but I will be about and here for chitter chatter now and then a bit more! Thanks for dropping in to say hi guys. Appreciated!

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Dignity! Strength! Love!
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 11:42:24 am »
It's been awfully quiet around here for quite a while. Nice to see you back and I'm sure your chitter chatter will surely fix some of the holes of voidness here. Babygirl named Megadokyo? Sounds pretty awesome but I guess it's bit out of the question... Gonna avoid all names that implify large size since... well... she's girl and if she comes after her father she's gonna be megarella allright... If she comes after her mother she's gonna be little smaller megarella but with these genes I'm really amazed if she's gonna be small in any form :D
Random ramblings and furious feminine novels per versatility.

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Armoured Tanks of Mass Destruction
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 12:24:15 pm »
That's good to hear about your Uni plans. I sense you will be one of these ultra multi-talented folk who will never require the help of anybody except me, for bringing you cups of tea when I go bust (it's only a matter of time before I crack and put fart noises into a commission soundtrack without permission) O_O.

If concealed well (for example make them part of a mix of sfx for, say, an explosion), you could easily get away with that.

Edit: or better yet, mix in the same fart noise in every single sfx in a project. Imagine the wonderful making-of interview: "Oh that awesome laser sound? That's a bunch of stock sounds mixed up with my farts. Spaceship noises? My farts are in there. End boss' laughter? My farts."
Edit2: "Oh yeah, I literally fart out baselines like that one in the main theme."
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 12:32:23 pm by evilcandybag »
"Actually, wooden stakes are for vampires. Wooden steaks are for vegetarians."

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 05:20:42 pm »
Heyoo bruvah!

I'm in Goa India right now, and in the second and last week i seem to have hit a rough patch which will probably end in my failing my internship, perhaps clusterfucking into a negtive intern review, causing me to have to drop out early, so i'm pretty shook up and on edge as of now.
But just trying to enjoy the last 48 hours of bliss is tough when you're miserable. Reading this thread had me smiling for a bit so it's not all bad, it seems.

As of this year, gave my old education the finger and transferred to a new school, got a new appartement with awesome room mates, whom one of which used to be my best friend at kindergarten and primary school, but lost track for 5 years after that, haha, other dude's a bass player from aruba, he's a great cook as well a studio engineer so laughs and music all around.

Working hard with the band, doing shows and all that jazz..

Uhh, i ran out of things to say. Maybe more will come to me later

o/ !

Offline cloudstrifex

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 11:07:49 pm »
Yeah I guess it's just one of those years Mega. I moved from New York to Houston to live with my gf, got engaged, she broke it off two days before Christmas. Now I'm working full time and going to counseling (which isn't cheap) and church a lot which is going pretty well. I've fought eith addictions for a good portion of my life but I'm almost free from everything so I'm feeling good about the future. Hope things continue to get better for you as well.

Offline Smeagol hates you guys

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 04:49:55 am »
Em Dee Ecks is a fucking pro. FACT.

Offline Kasumi-Astra

• Square Moon
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 06:39:53 pm »
I finished university in 2007, and I agree, it's a bloody pain near the end. I'd started school in '89 and pretty much had been in constant education (bar '02) for nineteen years. Still, it was university that introduced me to MaSu, through meeting Spunky and Aka.

I've been lurking on the forum more recently, only coming along to post when the tour was announced. Had a fucking awesome time last night, met the band, met a good bunch of the forum members, looking forward to next time!

At the moment I'm a full-time web developer working in Sheffield, I make software and websites in PHP for a living ;-)

Offline megadokyo

• Everybody gets one.
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Ima ween!
    • HyperDuck SoundWorks
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2011, 09:24:24 pm »
Yeah I guess it's just one of those years Mega. I moved from New York to Houston to live with my gf, got engaged, she broke it off two days before Christmas. Now I'm working full time and going to counseling (which isn't cheap) and church a lot which is going pretty well. I've fought eith addictions for a good portion of my life but I'm almost free from everything so I'm feeling good about the future. Hope things continue to get better for you as well.

Christ man that is a woeful year as well. I hold a massive amount respect and admiration for you being able to persevere. It gives me a little kick up the butt and reminds me that life has many episodes, and we just have to keep going until we find the next good one. If we're lucky, we'll continue to only find good ones for a long long time! And yes, both good and bad ones exist, but the only thing we can take from that fact is that this is a big part of living life. You do really have to take the good with the bad at times and the balance seems a little unfair sometimes too, but it does eventually pan out for the better if we want it to do so. *E-Hug* Thanks for the kind wishes, I am glad you too are feeling good about the future :)

Haha Smeagol. Love you. You is pro. Ya big pro. Proyo. Proyo II perhaps. Yep, I've decided you're a yoyo. Hope you're doing well mate. The fact you are still here made me smile :).

Kasumi it is a breath of fresh air to not be in college, but I am kinda in the process of working lots of jobs and just not finding the right one for me. I teach, I compose, I play (function bands and other) but I am still looking for more. I'm glad you've found your feet, my friend is just about to complete his degree in web development, it certainly seems like a very good living! Alas my brain is far too small to shove any PHP from the old days back in, I would fear it'd fall out the other end.

Would be great to meet you guys some day, I really can't afford any more travelling this year, I've booked three wedding holidays (Don't worry my wives all live in seperate ... erm, rooms). So I have my friends weddings to attend, and one is in spain :@ which is awesome, but yeah, travelling and that lark is gonna sting. Oh well! The weather is tasty and I am happy with that alone haha :D

Rad! Dude! India! Sorry to hear about the clusterfuck but I hope that India is proving to be awesome all the same, I'd love to go. Glad this thead got you smiling mate ;) Good to hear you're still pumping away at the music, and nothing can be better than living with people you enjoy the company of. God knows I had that trouble in Uni :|

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 05:53:39 pm »
Yewwww, everything is working out fine over here appearantly i was WAY too worked up. Like most people ;]

today, i went to the burger king and actually a hot girl worked there, i was amazed