Author Topic: What is this I don't even...  (Read 3871 times)

Offline cloudstrifex

What is this I don't even...
« on: February 21, 2011, 12:42:52 am »
Let me start by explaining the purpose of this thread. I was in my friend's car the other day going to lunch. Now I had already known he had pretty bad taste in music, but I don't think I was ready for this. As soon as the music comes on I can only make out what sounds like rave\techno having retarded incest babies with really generic and annoyingly similar drumbeats. I said to him, "If you want to listen to some good techno let me put on some Infected Mushroom," or something to that extent, to which he replied, "Dude, this isn't techno, it's DUBSTEP."

I'd heard of the genre before but I'd never actually listened to any of the music before. I'm thinking to myself, oh God is this what everyone is fapping to nowadays because it sounds just plain awful. HOWEVER, a different friend did show me a few songs I ended up liking: The Island Part 2 by Pendulum, and Kill Everybody by Skrillex. I downloaded some Pendulum discography and some of the stuff is pretty decent; I tried listening to other Skrillex songs but they were pretty terrible in my opinion. I haven't completely given up hope on the genre and I guess I am wondering if there are any hidden gems out there or is it just shitty music for the most part? I feel like if Infected Mushroom made an attempt at it they would do a pretty good job, but I doubt that will happen. Inb4Igetflamed.

Offline megashroom°

• Things!
Re: What is this I don't even...
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 03:39:52 am »
REPENT!!!

lawl jk
I love me some good Dubstep. Being a fan of some D'n'B stuff I found it pretty easy to get into Dubstep. However I can imagine someone without previous exposure being put off.
Sadly the genre is pretty tainted by it's popularity. Lot's of commercialized crap that feeds on the "zomg phat bass woob woob best song evur" type audience. Check youtube comments and you'll find alot of that.

My favourite dubstep artist has to be Reso. He has this mecha/playstation style-ish thingy going on which I absolutely adore.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmOeWUwkpxQ

Another one that I enjoy is Broken Note. Simply raw and brutal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92uCO8OF21Q

Your second buddy has some good tastes imo, both Pendulum and Skrillex does some real sound magic from time to time me thinks. Though the former is a primarily live band and the latter is a club performer which to me limits their songs a bit. Well, totally depends on what you are into ofc.
Anyway I'd say give Dubstep/Drumstep a good chance. It's a steadily evolving genre and I find it easy to dig out some real gems.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 03:41:51 am by Likfisken »

Offline cloudstrifex

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 06:01:08 am »
Well like I said before the first friend I mentioned has horrible taste in music, so I immediately assumed that IF there were any good songs in the genre he wouldn't have them, as he always gets the most popular, crappiest songs out there and usually doesn't even make his own CD's. I like D'n'B as well but what he had playing was just as I described and it was horrible. I know what you mean about the Youtube comments on the more popular videos, which are usually not good at all.

I dunno thought, I checked out both of the links you posted and another song by Reso and I didn't really like either. It just sounds like filler noise to me. I'm really liking the Immersion album by pendulum although it seems a little hit or miss, as most of this genre does to me right now. Maybe I'm just missing the point of the genre entirely, but it seems like there is a lot of potential and people are just making background noise or thumping bass beats with no real music in it. I'm definitely still open to try and find more songs.

Speaking of D'n'B, have you ever listened to Emotional Joystick? The Bellicose Pacific album is really good in my opinion. I'll just link a good example; he starts to get a little crazy with it from time to time though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjtJbqRx5ik

Offline yas‮

• The laziest one.
  • I believe in respawn.
    • Me on SoundCloud
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 01:52:10 pm »
Pendulum ain't drum'n'bass no more. And they were never related to dubsteb. They're just a generic rock + synth + same drumbeat all over kinda band. Their first major album ("Hold your color") is one of my favorites. The rest is total crap, though.
Second thing - dubstep is probably the worst invention since jumpstyle "music". It's repetitive as fuck and 90% of the songs are remixes. There are few good dubstep songs, but overall - it's a wobbly piece of shit.

Offline megashroom°

• Things!
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 02:12:04 pm »
I like that Pendulum's tracks has some real variation (okay yas except for the drums), keeps it fresh. For albums I personally like Hold Your Colour the most.

Their singer did a pretty cool drumstep remix of Witchcraft:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ot-LMuPgs

Sounds like you prefer the music to be more melody oriented.
I really like some purely rythmic oriented songs, both this kinda stuff and say japanese taiko music.

Never heard Emotional Joystick before. Sounds great, definitely gonna check out the album.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 04:39:36 pm by Likfisken »

Offline cloudstrifex

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 03:05:52 pm »
Pendulum ain't drum'n'bass no more. And they were never related to dubsteb. They're just a generic rock + synth + same drumbeat all over kinda band. Their first major album ("Hold your color") is one of my favorites. The rest is total crap, though.
Second thing - dubstep is probably the worst invention since jumpstyle "music". It's repetitive as fuck and 90% of the songs are remixes. There are few good dubstep songs, but overall - it's a wobbly piece of shit.

I dunno some of the stuff on the Immersion album definitely has a little dubstep in there (definitely The Island Part 2 and Set Me on Fire). To quote Wikipedia: "Their newer efforts incorporate styles from genres such as alternative rock, heavy metal, dubstep and house music."

Likfisken, I guess that was my real question: Is there any melodic dubstep or is it mostely rhythmic, repetitive bass patterns?

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 12:38:29 pm »
The only thing cloud's reluctance to the dub can be accredited to the fact that he does not have my subwoofer. :]

But sure. I'll help you out.

Check out Twisted, he's from Germany and he's amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWTjXczft2Y
The first part is an intro, made for mixing in with another track, that's why it's pretty tame. At around 52 the shit starts.
Now, you're going to need a decent subwoofer for this or you'll miss out on 80% of the tones. But it's fucking insanely heavy :D

Next up, Rusko.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Riv8gXlf2xk
Hope you've seen Snatch or you won't onderstand two shits for one shit about it, but it's pretty groovy.

Twisted - Infect and In Rotation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5_X7jXWboY
"That is pure fuckin filth... makes me wanna hack the nearest persons head off with a rusty teaspoon!!!!!! Long Live DUBSTEP..... Shiver down the spine and spunk in the eye."

Offline elizdaavis

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 07:58:03 pm »
yes, I also like Melody oriented Music..without smooth melody music is no music for me!!

Offline megashroom°

• Things!
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 09:30:11 pm »
yes, I also like Melody oriented Music..without smooth melody music is no music for me!!

It's a pretty interesting subject though.
To me any audio can be called music as long as there isn't a better term (like soundscape or sound effect etc).
Melody is just a tool for creating emotion.

Going back to the topic. Nero usually puts some melody into their stuff. Mostly repetetive as hell though which is really a shame. Some of the stuff can be pretty nifty imo.
http://open.spotify.com/track/6XpKCDiyuM7iZvyEIBpoHB
Also Reso just released a new EP with four tracks. I just love it. The first track is like someone is driving a screwdriver through my brain (that is a good thing). ;)
http://open.spotify.com/album/0NItFLD8PO02OLr8u1yMHp
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 03:15:52 am by Likfisken »

Offline CES

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 02:42:26 pm »
I firmly believe that every song has to have a good hook of some sort in it to be properly great. It doesn't have to be a lead instrument or even on a scale (a drumbeat that sticks with you is a good example) but more often than not it is a melody. Dubstep is the exception to this more often than not, it's about the basslines (aside: Dubstep fans, kindly shut up about bass being "dirty", it's a tired expression that has lost meaning)

Pendulum are first and foremost a hybrid band in the same style as their predecessors, The Prodigy. Music that the ravers can dance to and the metalheads can headbang away to. Two other bands that are similar (in that they take bits from more genres than you can count) are White Zombie and Finnish band Waltari.

Offline Crimzen

• Sending You Positive Energy!
    • Sleeping Awake
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 08:29:53 am »
I was just getting into Dubstep and the only things I had really heard were Innocense by Nero and some Skrillex. My favorite Dubstep song right now is Sleep With One Eye Open by Tek-One. Tell me what you think of that.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 08:35:25 am by LuckysRevenge »