Author Topic: Anime Suggestions  (Read 8092 times)

Offline Skell

• Awesomeness
    • Mauft.com Games
Re: Anime Suggestions
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 11:50:27 am »
I am thinking of picking up Death Note next.
Man, I doubt I would still be able to watch this anime considering how many squeaky girlie-fans this series has. But someday, when it stops being popular...

So.. what you are saying isn't that you don't think you wouldn't like it, but rather that you want to pass up something that might be good 'cause it's popular? ;)

More or less, though that didn't stop me from watching and enjoying Naruto for example. Not the best way of thought maybe, but I couldn't watch it without remembering all the jokes about it, and I wouldn't be able to properly enjoy it 'cause I'd be concentrating on noticing and noting in my mind all the "bad sides that should totally disqualify it from being that popular" :D. That's something I try to fight with but I just can't believe this series can be serious and good AND popular among all the anime kids.

So yea, my primary reason for not watching is its popularity AND that I neither have time nor feel like watching any anime for a year or two :).

Offline cloudstrifex

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 03:38:20 am »
You watched Naruto but you think Death Note is too popular? Weird.

Offline Crimzen

• Sending You Positive Energy!
    • Sleeping Awake
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 04:40:11 am »
I will say though Bust Angel taught me to never buy an anime just because they had hot chicks on the cover. Lol its not too bad but i had wish i had spent my money on something better. However i will wait on Naruto like DBZ when it gets old enough to where they sell the seasons for 20$ ;)

Offline Skell

• Awesomeness
    • Mauft.com Games
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 11:08:58 am »
You watched Naruto but you think Death Note is too popular? Weird.

Haha, yep :). I like ninja stuff, that's why I actually got into Naruto, even though I wouldn't really like to watch it anymore (but I am considering to read the manga once it is finished). Oh well, I AM weird in terms of what anime titles I select but I guess that's solely my problem.

I would add Bokurano to my list of recommendations, though manga was much better.

Offline MrBlack

• Player One
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2011, 08:10:39 pm »
Death Note is popular for a reason. It is simply amazing and appeals to a huge audience.

I highly recommend Code Geass. I thoroughly enjoyed every single minute of this series and actually could not stop watching. You have to watch it all the way through starting from episode 1 though, you can't miss or skip anything. You will not be disappointed.

Offline Blastyr

• Level 80 Lurker
  • Machinae Prime
  • Geek it 'til it MHz.
    • blastyr.net
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2011, 10:45:30 am »
If I find I dislike a series, I stop watching it. So, I'm just going to list anime series I've watched from beginning to end, as well as anime films I've enjoyed. Some of these may have been mentioned by other members here. Blue indicates a series, whereas green indicates a movie. An asterisk (*) indicates I actually own the item on DVD. (That's not exactly how the list is styled anymore.) My collection is pretty small, but if I've actually spent money in order to own something, you can be sure there's a good reason. This list is in no particular order, although items I own will be listed first.

LIST MOVED: http://www.simplexitynetwork.com/~blandin/anime-list.php

EDIT [2012-04-26]: I've moved the actual list to my server, since I've now exceeded the post character limit. I won't be updating this post any longer.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 09:48:29 am by Riax »
Now re-engaging lurk mode.

Offline Crimzen

• Sleeping Awake
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2011, 04:53:25 am »
Awesome! Everyone has been quite helpful. So far I've finished watching Death Note and loved that. And just finished all of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, which if anyone has seen the original I highly recommend that. I thoroughly enjoy Brotherhood.

@Riax, how was Darker Than Black? I have been thinking of checking that out and I wondered how it was?

DTB is very good, both the original and the followup, Gemini of the Meteor.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 10:28:32 am by evilcandybag »

Offline Blastyr

• Level 80 Lurker
  • Machinae Prime
  • Geek it 'til it MHz.
    • blastyr.net
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2011, 10:56:19 pm »
@Riax, how was Darker Than Black? I have been thinking of checking that out and I wondered how it was?
I really liked it. I don't really actively seek out new anime series to watch, but when it showed up on Netflix I decided to give it a whirl. I was pleasantly surprised. Baccano!, Claymore, and Kaze no Stigma are others I only found out about because they showed up in New Arrivals under Anime on Netflix.

Offline Crimzen

• Sleeping Awake
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2011, 08:02:39 am »
Awesome, Claymore is another that I've been meaning to check out. I get a lot of free time, so I anime fills up a good portion of my night :) Netflix is something I've been meaning to invest in as well lol

Offline Crimzen

• Sleeping Awake
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2011, 09:17:10 am »
Instead of creating a whole new thread I decided to post this in here because it's an anime. I've been watching Soul Eater and I have to say...I'm freaking addicted to it. Has anyone else seen it? I'm on episode 28 so I'm about half-way through it. I can't stop watching! Anyone who has seen it will recognize my avatar xD

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Armoured Tanks of Mass Destruction
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2011, 11:12:07 am »
Instead of creating a whole new thread I decided to post this in here because it's an anime. I've been watching Soul Eater and I have to say...I'm freaking addicted to it. Has anyone else seen it? I'm on episode 28 so I'm about half-way through it. I can't stop watching! Anyone who has seen it will recognize my avatar xD

Soul Eater is nice. Over the top and incredibly stupid and silly.
"Actually, wooden stakes are for vampires. Wooden steaks are for vegetarians."

Offline machinaeFREAK

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2011, 04:25:18 pm »
SOUL EATER YES

It's so much win.

Yesterday I watched that movie Summer Wars, it's awesome.

If you want bloody american action, you can ofc go for Afro Samurai
"The way of the ninja is the way of life, when lightning strikes once a ninja strikes twice"

Offline Blastyr

• Level 80 Lurker
  • Machinae Prime
  • Geek it 'til it MHz.
    • blastyr.net
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2011, 11:15:06 am »
Okay, I was just gonna make another edit to the post where I listed everything I've seen, but I think this warrants a bump.

I've (kinda) just finished watching Samurai 7 on Netflix. (I say "kinda" because I finally passed out after being awake for 36 hours halfway through the last episode.) It is so good. I highly recommend it.

EDIT: Finally got around to finishing it tonight. I also watched all of Sengoku Basara: Samurai Kings, which was pretty good as well.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 12:31:20 pm by Riax »

Offline Crimzen

• Sleeping Awake
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2011, 12:21:56 am »
Okay, I was just gonna make another edit to the post where I listed everything I've seen, but I think this warrants a bump.

I've (kinda) just finished watching Samurai 7 on Netflix. (I say "kinda" because I finally passed out after being awake for 36 hours halfway through the last episode.) It is so good. I highly recommend it.

Seconded, I have seen that too and it's really good. I need to get that. Also after finishing Soul Eater I started up Ergo Proxy and if anyone hasn't checked that out, do so! It's freaking amazing. I just finished up the series and it was very well done. Beautifully animated, storyline that's quite a thinker, and just has a great cyberpunk/sci-fi atmosphere.

Now I'm moving on to FLCL because I have yet to see the awesomeness that is FLCL

Offline Crimzen

• Sleeping Awake
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2011, 08:05:23 pm »
Sorry to repost in a super old thread, but it's still significant to my post here, so I'm posting it in this thread.

I've been trying to get my girlfriend into watching more anime and she doesn't want to see any that end 'bad' or depressing. We're watching Death Note, that might not be a great one to start out with. But she wants to finish it. I was thinking of Soul Eater and Gurren Laggan as well. Are there any other suggestions of happier more comedic animes that end happy but maybe also have some kick ass action in it as well?