Author Topic: So, U.S. copyright law needs to go die in a fire.  (Read 6777 times)

Offline Blastyr

• Level 80 Lurker
  • Machinae Prime
  • Geek it 'til it MHz.
    • blastyr.net
So, U.S. copyright law needs to go die in a fire.
« on: December 28, 2010, 05:38:17 pm »
You probably already believe this to be true, as I have for some time. However, I do not mean just any fire. I'm talking flames of eternal damnation here. Let me explain.

A few days ago, I discovered that my bank (Wells Fargo) allows customers to customize their credit cards with an image of their choosing, free of charge. I thought to myself, "How freakin' epic would it be to have the Overworld album art on my credit card?" I read the image guidelines, and they state:
For all images you must:
  • Own the image or have permission from the owner to use the image on your card.
  • Have approval from the owner if you use any logo, name, or tag line that isn't yours.
Images that include any of the following will be rejected:
  • Trademarks, copyrighted materials, advertising, or branding.
  • Celebrities, musicians, athletes, entertainers, or other public figures.
  • Telephone numbers, URLs, account numbers, addresses, or email addresses.
  • Cartoon characters or artwork that you have not created and/or do not have permission from the copyright owner to use.
  • Violent, offensive, anti-social, or death imagery - including any other material that could be perceived as violent.
  • Provocative, lewd, or sexual content - including nude, semi-nude, or partially clothed pictures of people of any age.
  • Dead animals, including game animals.
  • Political or religious imagery.
  • Symbols representing money or other content that might result in confusion at the point of sale, or that might result in card fraud.
  • Socially unacceptable or discriminatory behavior or signs (for example, gangs, hatred, drug or alcohol abuse, graffiti, profanity, or other obscene behavior or gestures).
  • Images of flags, unless it is one of the flag-related images from our photo gallery.
So, it's possible to use a copyrighted image if you obtain permission from the copyright holder. So, to this end, I e-mailed Rob about it. He, being the awesome dude he is, shot me back a message right away saying:
Do it! Kick ass!

Robert, Machinae Supremacy
So, I went straight back to the card design page and uploaded the Overworld album art, positioned it as I liked on the card, and submitted my design. At this point, the website informed me that someone would review my design and approve or reject it based on whether or not it adhered to the guidelines. I waited for the e-mail, and three days later (two hours ago, at the time of this posting) I received a notice that my card design had been rejected.

I figured this would happen since there's no way during the design process to specify that yes, this is a copyrighted work, and yes, I'm using it with permission, and yes, here's the proof. No big deal, I'll just call the number they gave in the e-mail and straighten this out, right? Wrong. The lady on the phone stated that it is against their policy to approve any design that includes a copyrighted work. The reason she gave for this is that it says "Wells Fargo" on the card, and that they are the ones who would be sued if the copyright holder had not truly given permission.

However, note parts of the guidelines highlighted in green above. They contradict the statement that it is policy to reject all card designs that include copyrighted work that isn't your own. In fact, they suggest that as long as you get permission from the owner, any piece is admissible. Still, the fact that their guidelines need to be rewritten to match their policies doesn't really make me angry, just slightly annoyed that I wasted my time on such a futile effort.

What pisses me off is the reason Wells Fargo has a policy against allowing copyrighted artwork. U.S. law allows copyright holders to sue the pants off anyone who uses their "property" without permission. And even if you have permission, unless the specific scope of what you're allowed to do with it is defined in a legally-binding contract, if they don't end up liking something you did with it, they can still sue you pantsless. The reason my bank's policy against permitting the use of copyrighted art exists is because they know this; it's safer to reject all copyrighted designs than to tempt fate and allow it, even if permission has been obtained.

Stupid laws, ruining my fun 'n' shit.
Now re-engaging lurk mode.

Offline Palantyre

Re: So, U.S. copyright law needs to go die in a fire.
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 04:52:42 am »
I wish I had something more in-depth to say about that... but goddamn, that stuff is just fucked up.

All that copyright shit has gotten just completely out of hand.

Offline Zortel

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 06:04:07 am »
Think copyright's bad enough, take a look at patents, and especially patent trolls. They buy patents that aren't being enforced at low cost, and then sue companies that they feel are infringing on their patents.

The whole U.S Patent system needs a thorough overhaul, as does copyright.
"How do you govern a country that seems to have decided that facts are the work of the devil?" - Andy Hamilton
“If you are cold, tea will warm you; if you are too heated, it will cool you; if you are depressed, it will cheer you; if you are excited, it will calm you.” - W. E. Gladstone

Offline cloudstrifex

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 08:37:17 pm »
Is the trinity logo copyrighted? If not you should just use that! ^^

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Armoured Tanks of Mass Destruction
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 11:28:33 pm »
Probably counts as copyrighted.
"Actually, wooden stakes are for vampires. Wooden steaks are for vegetarians."

Offline cloudstrifex

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 03:18:40 am »
Hmm I could see it going either way. I guess it would be the same concept, if they thought there was any chance they could be sued for it they wouldn't allow it. But if the image isn't actually copyrighted by the band and he can prove it I don't see it as an issue.

Offline Crimzen

• Sending You Positive Energy!
    • Sleeping Awake
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 12:57:48 pm »
Thats so ridiculous. If I had a band or indie movie or idk ANYTHING that a fan put an image of my creation on their credit card because they liked what I did. Thats free advertising and if I ever saw it I would have Robs reaction as well: Kickass! Stupid laws

Offline Blastyr

• Level 80 Lurker
  • Machinae Prime
  • Geek it 'til it MHz.
    • blastyr.net
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 07:31:29 am »
I would like to kindly ask a moderator to remove the above spammer's post.
Now re-engaging lurk mode.

Offline cloudstrifex

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 08:55:53 am »

But he has a special name and easy to keep it in mind. YOU MUST HAVE NEVER KNOW HIM!

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Dignity! Strength! Love!
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 10:33:21 am »
Kindly? You know that around here we like to play it rough... Intimidations with lethal violence and ultimate pain is only thing that moves us moderators and makes us do someth....

OK, since you asked so nicely :D
Random ramblings and furious feminine novels per versatility.

Offline Ziza

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 01:07:02 pm »
Now if you don't check the dates... Luckys ends up as the spammer ;=]

Offline ~futilite~

• I have the [Sticky Lizard's Socks of Coolness] :)
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 09:25:44 pm »
Was it already deleted or do we have a different view of what is severe spam and what isn't?

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Dignity! Strength! Love!
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 11:13:47 pm »
I was fast. And stealthy. Like a true ninja. Send me to US copyright laws and they are history, I assangenate them!
Random ramblings and furious feminine novels per versatility.

Offline cloudstrifex

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2011, 11:26:34 pm »
I was fast. And stealthy. Like a true ninja. Send me to US copyright laws and they are history, I assangenate them!

Is that a real word? O_o

Offline Crimzen

• Sending You Positive Energy!
    • Sleeping Awake
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2011, 12:47:47 am »
Now if you don't check the dates... Luckys ends up as the spammer ;=]

Please no remove me, lol, I is no spammer! But I'm sure they know that hahaha

Click here to get free WoW accounts and Maple Story characters and weapons and...yeah MARQUEES xD