Author Topic: I did it!  (Read 23924 times)

Offline Bearfoot

• They're coming to take me away ha ha!
Re: I did it!
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2011, 06:01:46 pm »
I wrote a compiler from Haskell to JavaScript, in JavaScript.
There's a demo up at http://jshc.insella.se if you are interested (I don't really expect anyone except Haskell hackers to be).
It's got an Emacs style text editor with a built in compiler/interpreter terminal. If you are familiar with Haskell and GHCi/Hugs using it should be pretty intuitive. Enter your code in the Main.hs buffer and press C-x i to compile and start the interpreter. We only support a teeny subset of Haskell yet though, and the error messages are horrible.

I like pie.
I'm only one, but still I am one.  I can't do everything, but I can do something-
Hellen Kieller

"There are never enough reasons to get drunk. I, for example am going out tomorrow to celebrate.. um.. Tuesday.:
Lexx β

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Dignity! Strength! Love!
« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2011, 12:22:13 am »
I did this. Actually some time ago. I have other handcraft items as project as well... But here it is, my first selfmade blade :)
Random ramblings and furious feminine novels per versatility.

Offline yas‮

• The laziest one.
  • I believe in respawn.
    • Me on SoundCloud
« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2011, 12:59:39 am »
Looks like it needs a pirate!

Offline Crimzen

• Sending You Positive Energy!
    • Sleeping Awake
« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2011, 04:38:43 am »
@Gravehill: First off congrats! And that blade is freaking awesome! @thread: I did it! Just beat Digital Devil Saga! Now to take my save file from DDS1 and start DDS2!

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Dignity! Strength! Love!
« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2011, 06:56:58 pm »
Thanks dudes :D Unfortunately I don't have any pirates as project (although my son did actually dress up as pirate in my sister's weddingmasquerade) but I do have Jolly Roger-flag somewhere... Actually I doubt it would have little use as pirate-weapon because it's not sturdy enough... it's sharp alright and cuts fine but it's somewhat fragile. Just made some inventory today what I would need to do some serious blade-project (that would actually make even pirate happy) and I think I can get that stuff collected in this summer... So who knows what will come out of my forge later :D
Random ramblings and furious feminine novels per versatility.

Offline Annie

• My tumblr, lul.
« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2011, 05:11:43 pm »
I did it. I become father 2nd time, this time to a babygirl. Been changing diapers and hanging around with my little princess for +week now :)

You know, Gravehill, you posting things like this are cheating, 'cause it's pretty difficult to achieve something as awesome as this (especially when you have no intention of having children...). Shenanigans, I say!

What've I done...? Well, I bought my first laptop, and over the summer, I went to visit my significant other (of 9 months at the time) in England. Someone I had known for 7-8 years, and we finally had gotten together, and it was my first time ever seeing him. Needless to say, it was pretty insane. Even if I was detained by the customs agents for 5 hours... :D
Quote from: Still Not Fiindil
Annie, you ain't fucking human.

Offline yas‮

• The laziest one.
  • I believe in respawn.
    • Me on SoundCloud
« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2011, 08:49:20 pm »
I got a decent job in IT. Part-time, since I'm still four months away from a BSc degree, but with an option to go full-time whenever I want. But anyway, I'm considering it a huge success, since I work in a city with nearly 30% unemployment rate.

Hadou

« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2011, 09:11:18 pm »
I got a decent job in IT. Part-time, since I'm still four months away from a BSc degree, but with an option to go full-time whenever I want. But anyway, I'm considering it a huge success, since I work in a city with nearly 30% unemployment rate.

Awesome!

I'm hoping to go into IT and get a BSc Hons too, maybe with a Dual honours in music technology. I haven't really decided. Plus, it depends on my grades. Even so, great job! Considering every is struggling to get jobs and make the cut, it's good that you're on the ladder.

Offline yas‮

• The laziest one.
  • I believe in respawn.
    • Me on SoundCloud
« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2011, 10:55:46 pm »
In the end it all depends of how good of a learner you are. I'm more into networking (getting some CISCO certs this semester), but I ended up as a ASP.NET developer. Learning curve is steep, but knowing some C# helps me a lot. The best thing is that it gives me motivation - I can't really study anything unless I have an objective. And experience is always wanted too.

In Poland, first jobs in IT are always underpaid. But with two-three years of experience and good skills, you can get a shitload of money. But I'm having a dilemma now - BsC, but what's next? M.S.? Do I really need it? Is it better to stay here and earn something and get M.S., or to move abroad and earn more? Right now while still living with my parents I earn 3,5€/h part-time, which seems small, but I don't really have any expenses and living here is very cheap compared to ie. UK. But there, I could be earning around 12-15€... It's difficult.

Offline Ziza

« Reply #69 on: October 24, 2011, 11:44:50 pm »
But I'm having a dilemma now - BsC, but what's next? M.S.? Do I really need it? Is it better to stay here and earn something and get M.S., or to move abroad and earn more?

People tend to respect M.S. more, making it easier to find a better job. Try your best at keeping that part-time up while getting through the studies, even if you won't give a shit about them and just slide on the lowest grades (which is exactly what I am doing right now, though my case is a bit easier, I've just one year left ahead of me).

Right now while still living with my parents I earn 3,5€/h part-time, which seems small, but I don't really have any expenses and living here is very cheap compared to ie. UK. But there, I could be earning around 12-15€... It's difficult.

I believe it would be too risky to throw it all away now and try to move out unless you have something really certain awaiting you abroad. Stick to what you have i koxaj skilla kurwa!

Also, good job finding a good job <3

Offline Valentine Revolution

• Twitter
« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2011, 07:41:52 am »
I've just gotten my first IT job after graduation as a python web developer, and I'd say experience > education at your level. MS is nice but I don't think a lot of employers look for it in entry-level/graduate employment and some companies will help pay for you to do it later if it's in  something that will benefit them. As part of my degree I worked a year in industry and I think that was a massive reason behind me getting the job I have now. Obviously without the degree I never would have done that work, and work doesn't teach you good standards beyond "the client wants it now! Fuck refactoring!". I'm on a fairly typical wage for a graduate IT peon in the UK (£18k, that's about €20k?) but it's like 2 minutes from my flat so no travel costs :)

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #71 on: October 30, 2011, 03:55:01 am »
Congratulations VR!

Offline megashroom°

• Things!
« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2011, 05:48:52 pm »
Zomg. Just got an internship at a small game dev studio.  :o
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 05:59:20 pm by Megashroom »