Author Topic: A View From The End Of The World Discussion  (Read 59338 times)

Offline Fabexxx

Re: A View From The End Of The World Discussion
« Reply #225 on: November 29, 2010, 03:57:30 pm »
I'm not sure if this has been discussed earlier in this thread, but the skit at the end of the track a View from the End of the World... where is it taken from?

Collateral Murder. :)

That really makes the opener even more powerfull! =) "I fear the ratinality of the faithfully insane" ....so true 

Offline Crazywater

« Reply #226 on: December 03, 2010, 08:47:24 pm »
Hmm... found a review on metal.de and translated it:

Where other bands simply use cheaply produced keyboard-effects, Machinae Supremacy deliberately employ a stylistic element: The swedes use an 8-bit SID/6581 soundchip in order to spice up their sound with various electronic beep-effects. Older generations may be reminded of glorious C64-times, because the home computer emitted its sounds back in the 80s over the very same chip. Thus, who can't relate to "nintendo-metal" should avoid "A View From The End Of The World" at all costs. On the other hand, everybody with a faible for retro-gaming who still loves the sounds of "Tetris", "The Legend Of Zelda" or the old "Final Fantasy" titles should consider the band as an insiders' tip.

So, in every case, Machinae Supremacy have the ability to polarise their audience. Either you love the 8-bit-beeping or you hate it. But even though the electronic effects play an important role in the compositions, there is enough room for guitars, bass and drums in the band's sound. The creation of a harmonic overall sound is the real achievement of the quintet. The single parts are composed to a melodic power-metal-sound, occasionally exhibiting some prog-reminiscences.

Even considering their lyrics they remain true to the computer gaming scene, which already shows itself in figurative titles like "Force Feedback" or "Crouching Camper Hidden Sniper". You may consider it infantile, but at least Machinae Supremacy are consequent here and thus stay true to themselves. The catchiness-factor is similarly high to the one of the retro-game-soundtracks which apparently served as an inspiration in many places, while the border to cheesyness is shamelessly crossed again and again. So, as for the whole album: You don't have to like the music of Machinae Supremacy, but what they do, they do very well in principle.

Rating: 7/10
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 08:52:24 pm by Crazywater »
We're open to such things, we've even talked many times about doing it with Inja, but in a way that's redundant because we can already get Erica
:o brown chicken brown cow :o

Offline morize

« Reply #227 on: December 14, 2010, 10:05:01 pm »
My opinion of The End of the World. Finally.

A few days ago the CD with A View From the End of the World finally arrived. Although the waiting was devastating, the reward is much sweeter than I anticipated.
Redeemer UG is still not conquired (impossible) but it's simple-minded to still look back and compare with incomparable.

..End of the World is your next step forward. You created fantastically solid and entire album and it's fucking awesome (nice word, isn't it?) to listen it.
I love your music because of its originality and freshness. Because of your distinctive vocalist. Because of your ability to combine (not http://tinyurl.com/combine-gif)  really deep lyrics with your own humour and exaggeration. And I noticed all these things in your newest album too, of course! => Still singular compositions (Nova Prospekt, World of Light/Shinigami), still kick-ass (Force Feedback), still sarcastic (The Greatest Show On Earth), still funny (Hidden Sniper, Action Girl, Indiscriminate Murder), still urgent (Rocket Dragon, Cybergenesis), still EPIC (Remnant).
The sound is perfect too, great work in studio.  Nicky should be praised for his drumming - perfectly fits to MaSu music. My only reproach is pointing at dezo's bass. There's too little of it :-D I love distinctive parts with bass but there are only few on new album. Dezo needs more space!

My conclusion is, that you are still number one in the genre of melodic rock/metal (not only) and after these years of my listenings of metal (hardly not only) I could say, that I'm still having fun with your music which is still surprising me. And there are not many bands, which I could say the same about.

Thank you. See you in Prague!

//morize, Czech rep, www.last.fm/user/morisek
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 10:14:48 pm by morize »

....... and sorry for my bad english O:-)

Offline Danton

• Chaos Incarnate
« Reply #228 on: December 16, 2010, 11:50:39 am »
Since it's early in the morning, I'm just going to drop some quick ideas here, and maybe something heavier later.

Great album! The only songs I don't particularly like are Action Girl, The Greatest Show on Earth, and One Day in the Universe. They just feel kind of... bland to me. Who knows, that may change later on; I've noticed my opinions of specific songs change over time, and sometimes in the middle of it playing.

I was very disappointed that there was no mention of crowbars.. Also that Persona wasn't about MegaTen, as someone said earlier in here. Nevertheless, they are both great songs!

Well, I think that's about all for now. I'm gonna see about getting some more sleep, and come back for the MASSIVE WALLS OF TEXT later ;)
This space isn't unintentionally not left unblank.

Offline eloj

• Five-by-Five
    • eloj
« Reply #229 on: December 31, 2010, 04:44:10 am »
I'm not even through the first listening yet, but it sounds gggggrrrrreat! Will get a lot of listens during my commute.
What do you mean the new album isn't called Brojectiot groader?!

Hadou

« Reply #230 on: January 01, 2011, 01:24:05 am »
I'm not even through the first listening yet, but it sounds gggggrrrrreat! Will get a lot of listens during my commute.

You haven't... listened to it yet? Where have you been? In a cave? Killing jews? WHAT THE HELL? YOU MONSTER!

Offline rafael.pereira

• My DeviantART page
« Reply #231 on: January 07, 2011, 01:49:40 pm »
(it's been a few years since I last posted here but anyway)

Am I the only one who sees meanings beyond Death Note in Shinigami? I see it as a song about the way the United States (or the UN or whatever) crafts wars and conflicts as a way to create entertainment or dominate "lesser" cultures, pushing their customs down the throat of their victims. "I'm bored out of my skull, let's play a different game... pay a visit down below and cast the world in flames" as if there was nothing interesting going on in the media then kaboom! a war somewhere to be reported on the news.

Or maybe I'm trying to go too deep into those lyrics.

Anyway, it's an excellent album, most songs sounds really catchy to me, and I have a good time trying to find more meaning out of the lyrics. Cybergenesis and One Day still haven't grown on me after these months, but Kaori Stomp, Snake Mountain and Gimme More either.

As a suggestion for the next album, try using a different song structure from time to time. I know it sounds cool repeating the last chorus, or placing the solo after the 2nd chorus and  intertwined with the bridge, but it could do with a little more variety ;)

All in all, it's a great album, you guys rock, but DXM and Redeemer still have a special place in my heart and ears, sometimes for emotional reasons (they played an important role in my life), but mostly because in neither of them there wasn't any mocking or jokes, they sounded more serious and mature.

Offline filosquartapecore

« Reply #232 on: January 20, 2011, 09:32:12 pm »
after a month i finally got this album: it's perfect, there is a lot of sid machine! and there is "world of light", which is some kind of eargasm, i haven't already read any lyric but i'm going to do it soon. Keep on guys!
Hi all. This should replace my signature for a while.

Offline Shalinar

« Reply #233 on: January 25, 2011, 09:02:07 am »
As a suggestion for the next album, try using a different song structure from time to time. I know it sounds cool repeating the last chorus, or placing the solo after the 2nd chorus and  intertwined with the bridge, but it could do with a little more variety ;)

So I wasn't the only one that noticed this either? ;D They are great songs, but after a while, the same old verse/chorus/verse/chorus/solo(or bridge)/chorus song structure gets boring, to me at least. And Im not just saying this about Machinae, this is one of the reasons that i stopped listening to mainstream music years ago, all the songs start to sound the same. MaSu is obviously WAY more talented than pretty much any mainstream band anymore, but I do like odd song structures and at least lots of variety (this is the reason that Redeemer is still my favorite album ever--so much freakin variety ^_^). A View From The End Of The World (the song) does have a different structure to it, and thats one reason I like that song :)

Offline cloudstrifex

« Reply #234 on: January 25, 2011, 10:26:19 am »
That's why songs like Kaori Stomp and Fury pwn so much ;o

Offline MrBlack

• Player One
« Reply #235 on: February 06, 2011, 07:49:47 pm »
I'm not about to attempt to describe how much I love this album because I'll never do it justice in words. I will mention a few themes that instantly stood out to me.

One of the first things I picked up on and LOVED was the Death Note theme in World of Light and Shinigami, I heard World of Light and instantly thought of Light's theme... then I saw the song name and was like "omg I knew it!". I already knew there was a song called Shinigami on the album and when I heard it without seeing the title I instantly knew this was it. If anyone here hasn't watched Death Note, I STRONGLY recommend it. Even if you don't watch/have never watched anime in your life, this series is a masterpiece, appeals to a wide audience and I've never met anyone who hasn't loved it.

As a gamer, I immediately related to both Crouching Camper Hidden Sniper (WIN song title) & Indiscriminate Murder is Counter-Productive and found much amusement/appreciation in their tongue-in-cheek lyrics and especially IMiCP's amazingly catchy and contagious sound. This song has become like an anthem for me and my friends when we LAN.

A close friend of mine is kind of in a long distance online relationship but of course not quite sure about anything since they haven't met in real life so I was amazed when I read the lyrics to One Day in the Universe and after letting him borrow the album, it's become his favourite song.

Offline Ziza

« Reply #236 on: May 07, 2011, 01:22:56 am »
Hard to believe this thread has managed to go this down already...

Now as a bumpage - it's certainly been a while. I even met the guys on the gig so "the life's complete", etc, you know the deal.

During all this time, I have listened to A View from the End of the World for countless number of times. This way I feel I have finally formed a balanced opinion... how has it changed over these few months?

1. A View from the End of the World - This song is still great for me. From the very first time I heard it during the first listening till now - I love it as an epic and powerful opening. I feel like no other MaSu's album had this good starter. What does it lack? The intro used in the gigs =D

2. Force Feedback - Still fantastic, still fast and powerful, still "the very definition of SID metal". Love it as well, but... I feel like I got a little bored of it till now.

3. Rocket Dragon - Took me a while to realize this, but this one is one of the album's best. Fantastic melody, ranging from dark to high-spirited in less than two seconds, interesting message, fucking great solo, getting higher and higher, with SID ending that finally shakes my pants.

4. Persona - I like it, yet this one didn't really stand the test of time. Even though I still love the ending part in which the guitar takes over the vocals' melody, I stopped listening to it as much as other songs.

5. Nova Prospekt - Another one that remains in "the best" tier. Sorry, I just get carried away too much by the epic songs. And this one is incredibly epic and manages to combine heaviness and slowness with the feeling of sublimity. The chorus totally rocks and the SID-guitar "duel" in solo is awesome too. I will _never_ cease to love it.

6. World of Light - No changes here. I love this intro <3

7. Shinigami - Same as Force Feedback, I would say.

8. Cybergenesis & 9. Action Girl - I don't really know why I can't get to really like those two. They are good, but after many tries I still can't find them as good as the first part of the album.

10. Crouching Camper Hidden Sniper - Except for the great lyrics, this one is the worst song of the album, that's what I feel :(

11. Indiscriminate Murder is Counter-Productive - In the beginning it was just an interesting one for me. Now it's one of the best, definitely. Really fun (though a bit too repetitive) lyrics and as fun melody. Great to listen, great to sing, great to dance - I am not surprised everyone in Pownland was disappointed it hadn't been played during the gig.

12. One Day in the Universe & 13. The Greatest Show on Earth - Not really the style of music I like in MaSu, that's all. Same as Cybergenesis and Action Girl, I didn't manage to get to like them. Even though lots of people are delighted with The Greatest Show on Earth, I still don't "feel" it.

14. Remnant - And in the end... this one couldn't surpass Reanimator. It still makes a perfect ending of the album and still leaves a good impression after everything is finished, but I'm getting bored of it as well. That makes it the last member of the group in which Force Feedback and Shinigami ended up. (and I absolutly won't ever call any of these three "bad". These are still fucking good, but not as good as album's best :D)

Overall? It's hard to compare this one with other albums. I was never able to say which one is the best - every MaSu's album has its better and worse sides. I feel like this album is the most erratic one, with so many songs I could gladly listen to over and over (the first half of the album especially) and also lots of songs I don't really care about.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 02:49:47 am by Ziza »