Author Topic: A View From The End Of The World Discussion  (Read 54821 times)

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
Re: A View From The End Of The World Discussion
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2010, 01:35:02 am »
CCHS:

"But even so you and me are far from OK"

is actually:

"But even so you and I are far from OK"

"Your camper shit slows down the game"
=
"Your lame bullshit slows down the game"

"Rather shoot in the back than react face to face"
=
"Shoot the back don't react face to face"

ODITU:

"(No matter) what we do, couldn’t make it that much worse"

The "No matter" isn't there..
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 01:42:33 am by Fallout »

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2010, 01:49:11 am »
If anyone else spots any incorrect lyrics, post them here and I will relay them back to Rob.

Or just post them straight here:

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=129428123777579&id=540869036&notif_t=share_reply

Offline Amdor

• Redemption is yours!
    • Last.fm
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2010, 01:54:27 am »
If anyone else spots any incorrect lyrics, post them here and I will relay them back to Rob.

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=129428123777579&id=540869036&notif_t=share_reply

The link is, like, not working? Or is it just me?
"If they give you ruled paper, write the other way."
-----------------------------------------------------------
<dezo> Let's not do anymore albums?
<gazosx> awesome idea

Offline MashedByMachines

• That guy
  • Community Supporter
  • Skala lök?
    • Music
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2010, 01:56:29 am »

The link is, like, not working? Or is it just me?

How about this one?
http://www.facebook.com/stjarnstrom

http://mashedbymachines.newgrounds.com/

Believing in a zombieman from outer space who is his own father is pretty funny, but that's not what MaSu is about //yas

Offline Amdor

• Redemption is yours!
    • Last.fm
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2010, 02:02:58 am »
Oh well. Much better.  ;)
<gazosx> awesome idea

Offline Arashikatsu

• Victory Storm
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2010, 03:11:49 am »
You know an album is great when you feel your view of things has completely changed.  ;D

Offline Laser.T

• 日本人ですか?
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2010, 03:36:25 am »
Question: Was the album released with the US Senate/House elections in mind?

Offline Schattenjaeger

• Somewhere inside I'd like to find...
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2010, 03:42:36 am »
Here's an interesting tidbit:

In Cybergenesis, the following quote is actually from Terminator 2:

"There's no fate but that which we make for ourselves" - Sarah Connor.

So maybe it's about the creation of some sort of robot to destroy God?

"We placed the light of our sentience within the machinae, and we would send it to heaven to end God's regime."

Yeah... I think that's an accurate guess.
Your approval fills me with shame.

Offline Saint

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2010, 03:45:31 am »
Haha, the first lyric I really took note of was the Terminator quote in Cybergenesis.

Thanks for posting the lyrics Fallout; huge boost to my experience.

Offline Laser.T

• 日本人ですか?
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2010, 04:44:44 am »
I've only listened to it twice yet, but here are some of my responses:

Persona
Didn't really pick up on this song on the first listening, but the second time I buckled down and followed the lyrics. It's about people who find it easier to follow the crowd, rather than breaking away and being yourself.

Shinigami
The world from Light's point of view. Love it.
I don't see how all the SID fits in with Death Note, but it fits the song perfectly.

Cybergenesis
The lyrics are very interesting: Creationist vs Darwinists? We weren't specially created, but we're just a small fragment of the universe that has to make its own place? But Rob says there is an original story. It requires further listening.

Action Girl
I absolutely love the intro to this song!
And the lyrics... lol ;D Fun song.

Crouching Camper Hidden Sniper
Another fun song. Quite reminiscent of FLAK.

Indescriminate Murder Is Counter-Productive
When this song first came on, first I felt shock, then intrigue, then lulz, then love. It is currently my favorite, because it's so different.
I can only imagine this song is great to bounce along to live.
And i just love the image of a GTA player running around knifing everyone in Zelda.

One Day In The Universe
It can't be said enough, but thank god this song was kept in the album. Thank you, Gordon's sister. We approve you.
Is this song about people you know, perhaps? ;)

The Greatest Show On Earth
Can't help but be uplifted by this.  But I feel there's irony in those lyrics.

Remnant (MofU IV)
Nice and heavy :)
Is this song about how blind faith in whatever god turns people into mindless followers of dogma and spiteful leaders leading them to hurt others?
"For those who die all walk again" - die = get lost in blind belief?

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2010, 05:09:23 am »
I am pretty certain Remnant is the aftermath of the title track..

Offline Zortel

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2010, 05:50:53 am »
Regarding World of Light being out of place, as someone mentioned, I think it serves as more of a tie in to the anime/manga the two tracks were inspired by.

World of Light cleanses the palette of the heavy sound of Nova Prospekt, to prepare it for the more SID-focused sound of Shinigami. It also lulls you in somewhat, a peaceful sound tthat at times reminds me of that classic western showdown sound (from 00:44 onwards) and then BAM, hit with the SID.

Speaking of Shinigami, I get hints of Steve coming through with the line of 'There is beauty in the fire when all lights are out' giving me memories of Steve's badass boast from Super Steve (Namely "The fire it knows me/and I can walk through the blaze without harm/forever it owes me/the life I lost in the dark"). I'm still not entirely sure as to who or what Steve is, but my best guess at the moment is that he is some sort of gestalt entity of the band's mind, that sneaks his way into various songs. (The opening of Need for Steve states 'We'll give you complete creative control', and 'Steve' takes over to sing about his style, individualism and how he's not going to go away. Which might be why Gimmie More was given a make over.)

I missed the dark ages reference in the title track, good spot there. Part of me feels the album has several stories One of War, one of Gaming, one of Internet. The Internet is summed up in four tracks, split into two parts:

Force Feedback + Nova Prospekt is the bad side of the internet. The problems with corporate and governmental interference and their lack of understanding and willingness to adapt, coupled with the mentality of some using the internet in a bad way to 'fight back' that only gives fuel to the fire, as well as some hints towards education and media indoctrination. I also think some lines refer to the phenomenon of Anonymous ("Jack in, let's spread some hate/hand out of pain awaits/oh my the fire rate" Trolling, flaming and DDoS attacks? "You are outnumbered ten times over." Anonymous is legion after all...)

The good side of the internet is represented by A Day in the Universe + The Greatest Show on Earth, showing what a tool for connectivity between people, and more importantly, ideas, it can be.

Persona is one I am still finding different facets to. Quite plain to see is the 'Be awesome, think awesome, do awesome' kind of message that MaSu is great for getting across. Mixed in with that I find is 'Don't listen to sad, depressing music and get yourself more down, put something bouncy on and strike out for better places' with perhaps 'The world is what you want it to be if you work for it, don't accept status quo.'

At first, I took Rocket Dragon to be some kind of villain protagonist. When Fallout mentioned the helicopter (Though it could also be a jet fighter/bomber) it clicks into place. "Stay down if once you have fallen - it's all coming down". Duck and Cover? Maybe this ties into the theme of track 1.

Cybergenesis gives me vibes of White Wolf's Exalted RPG. Especially the Abyssal Exalted. A 'dream of unmaking' 'defy all predictions and/end this design', 'the age of creation will fade/as we turn from grace'?

Action Girl, the last line strikes me for some reason. "No one said it would be easy for you... That's why I'm here to be your toy/Now take your clothes off and enjoy."
Is this a twist on the 'Oh, female protagonist in video games, it's for male titilation!' cries, painting female protagonists as strong, willful with their own drives and desires? And that maybe, gasp, sex might be somethiing women want to do as a way to destress? Or is there something else behind it?

Crouching Camper and Indescriminate Murder are songs that I expect will crop up in machinima. The latter sums up how I felt about Morrowind precisely, and I would be surprised if no WoW videos were made to it, and as for the other... well, those lines ring true
"How do you govern a country that seems to have decided that facts are the work of the devil?" - Andy Hamilton
“If you are cold, tea will warm you; if you are too heated, it will cool you; if you are depressed, it will cheer you; if you are excited, it will calm you.” - W. E. Gladstone

Offline Schattenjaeger

• Somewhere inside I'd like to find...
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2010, 06:04:31 am »
Persona
Didn't really pick up on this song on the first listening, but the second time I buckled down and followed the lyrics. It's about people who find it easier to follow the crowd, rather than breaking away and being yourself.

This summary of Persona (my CD isn't here yet, fucking post office) makes it sound like a reminiscent polar opposite to Reanimator (March of the Undead Pt. 3).
Your approval fills me with shame.

Offline nuTinmuch

• Forum Lurker.
    • Not Quite Literally
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2010, 06:29:37 am »
Just posting up my own review here.

http://www.notquiteliterally.com/?p=156

I'm impressed.

And here is a tl;dr for everyone from the end:

In short, remember that feeling that you got when you first picked up an SNES controller? Yeah. This album is just like that.
Lurkin' since the dawn of time.

Offline Amdor

• Redemption is yours!
    • Last.fm
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2010, 07:56:55 am »
When the guitars come in just after "stock up on weapons and ammo before you go" in Nova Prospekt, I imagine the use of barrage ability while holding a shotgun in Stranglehold, Tequila loading the gun with rounds. :P (Comin' at ya Woo-Style!)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab5ZUn3f1wU[/youtube]

It just fits... rhytmically (more or less) and thematically.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 08:00:00 am by Amdor »
<gazosx> awesome idea