Author Topic: Let's play: Who are "they"?  (Read 1408 times)

Offline Waltro

• Flagcarrier
Let's play: Who are "they"?
« on: October 29, 2010, 05:59:21 pm »
First of all, I would like to point out: this is a topic not to be taken too seriously. Just give yourself a moment of brainlessness (that's what I'm doing).

Here's the thing of this topic:

Who are "they"?
Everyone has heard something being said (in songs, books, movies, speeches etc.) about "them". For example "They don't approve you if you do not behave politely enough" or "They tell you what you must and mustn't do".
Now what we are trying to archieve here, is to collect random sayings about "them" and try to conclude who those sayings are talking about.
Ultimately (when enough sayings and answers are collected) we will try together to sum up what is this mysterious race of "they" and what are they like (what they look like, how they act, what kinds of vehicles do they use...).

NOTICE: Most of the answers to the question "Who the saying is referring to?" could be considered "The Goverment" or "The Media". We all know this and those are not the answers we are looking for. Try to be more creative and find answers like "The women in red dresses".

In your replies, please write down:
1: The saying
  • Could be something you have recently run into or simply something that comes into your mind first.
  • If possible, please also write down where the quote is from and who said it.
  • The more random the saying, the better :)
2: The answer
  • Try to figure out who are "they" the saying is referring to.
  • If you can't think of an answer, you can leave this blank and let others handle the answering.
  • NOTICE: If people leave the answer-parts open, others can simply give an answer without needing to post their own sayings. Also multiple answers are acceptable.

I will not deny commenting on posts, but try to keep it in control.
Once there are enough posts here, I will announce separately the beginning of the next phase (based on our collective knowledge, figuring out who they really are)

I hope you are catching my drift here. Now GO!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 06:00:54 pm by Waltro »

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
Re: Let's play: Who are "they"?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 01:48:24 am »
"They" are some sort of generalized other, obviously! All of "them"! Hah, Sociology 101 to the rescue! (actually, the concept of the generalized other has absolutely nothing to do with this...)
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic