Author Topic: Euro Trip!  (Read 9725 times)

Offline Viherminttu

Re: Euro Trip!
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2010, 03:24:14 pm »
You guys know NOTHING about a country's sense of national pride until you come to Australia. You know NOTHING! This landmass is full of dumbshit bogans with the map of Australia, Australian flag, southern cross or Ned Kelly tattooed across their face/neck/back/arm/ass. Aussie flags on cars, coathangers in the shape of Australia in place of aerials on cars. *twitch*
<WereVolvo> moar sid! new album sux! music vid sux! machinae are sellouts! where i find crappack lulz? when is page getting updated? gief moar free songs plx. zomg plz come to the US/UK/Mars/Alpha Centauri! when r u guyz gonna do a tour? i think u shuld come to this festival it wuld be gr8!

Offline WereVolvo

• IRC Love Butter supplier
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Volvot ulvoo kuun savuun!
    • My personal site
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2010, 04:41:30 pm »
Worse than 'merikins? o_O
<@Torp> I have seen your melted pussy!

Real Dwarfs wall themselves in once they are underground, and survive through incest and cat farming.

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2010, 05:11:50 pm »
Only pride i seem to hear when i get aussies at the bar is "Aussie aussie aussie!"

Offline WereVolvo

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
    • My personal site
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2010, 09:47:02 pm »
When I think of aussie pride, I think of "Down Under" by Men at Work. :P

Real Dwarfs wall themselves in once they are underground, and survive through incest and cat farming.

Offline Ãœbermacht

• Der Forendeutsche
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2010, 11:05:51 pm »
You guys know NOTHING about a country's sense of national pride until you come to Australia. You know NOTHING! This landmass is full of dumbshit bogans with the map of Australia, Australian flag, southern cross or Ned Kelly tattooed across their face/neck/back/arm/ass. Aussie flags on cars, coathangers in the shape of Australia in place of aerials on cars. *twitch*
Sounds like america to me.
Welcome to Rivendell..!

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2010, 06:50:15 am »

The American south, maybe. :P
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline Viherminttu

« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2010, 11:45:36 am »

Yeah, except most of the dumbshit bogans I mentioned despise America and Americans.

Seriously, this country pisses me off sometimes.
<WereVolvo> moar sid! new album sux! music vid sux! machinae are sellouts! where i find crappack lulz? when is page getting updated? gief moar free songs plx. zomg plz come to the US/UK/Mars/Alpha Centauri! when r u guyz gonna do a tour? i think u shuld come to this festival it wuld be gr8!

Offline Socramon

« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2010, 04:40:24 am »
Some guys are on the road in Europe, I'm just planning a trip to Sweden in nowember...

We? They? You are just the sound engineer.  :P

Offline PrescriptiveBarony

• Machinae Prime
  • Let there be blacklight.
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2010, 06:49:16 pm »
Well we got  back a while ago.

A few things I noticed that surprised me:

1. The roads are great! We didn't have trouble with highway signs almost ever. In the cities it can be more confusing, but that's true pretty much anywhere. Milan was probably the worst city driving simply because street signs are tiny or nonexistent, lane lines aren't drawn so there's often just a double or triple-sized lane where people are swerving all about, and there were some confusing double-roundabouts that seemed designed specifically to disorient drivers.

2. I was prepared for the toll highways, but didn't think about the obvious side effect: the roadside rest stops (especially in italy and switzerland) were fucking CRAZY. I'm used to a gas station with a little convenience store next to it. These were highway-bridging two-story behemoths with shops of all sorts on the bottom (luxury watches, toys, luggage, groceries, chocolate) and a large (and tasty) restaurant on top. But when you can't leave the highway and get back on without paying a toll and then having to wait in the line for another ticket to get back on, it makes sense to provide a ton of options that don't require exiting the highway. And every single one of these places was PACKED.

3. CRANES. Cranes everywhere. I'm happy you guys are building new things, but I literally can't think of a single town or city we passed that didn't have a crane or two or eight dotting the landscape. Maybe we just have different construction techniques here, but we tend to only use cranes for structures over three stories. You guys had two cranes just to add a flower pot to a window.

4. Austria was disappointing. There was a strangely angry national vibe, and even the touristy areas like Salzburg seemed less gracious and more like "well of COURSE you're here, it's goddamn AUSTRIA, only the BEST GERMANIC NATION EVER, so much better than those horrible nazi GERMANS, but WE were never like that, they MADE us be part of that war but we were never really IN TO IT, you know, with all the HEILING and GENOCIDE and such, we were just INNOCENT BYSTANDERS, so that'll be 30 EURO PLEASE."

5. Slovenia was AWESOME. We got to experience three distinct portions of the small nation; first, we spent the night in fairly-rural Bled and then went to visit the castle there, which was quite beautiful and super interesting. Then we drove to Ljubljana and hung out there for a while, but we hadn't actually planned anything specific so it was actually kinda boring. And then we went down to Piran on the Adriatic, which is like a little mini-Venice and with which I totally fell in love. The only downsides are that you have to park outside the city for 12 euro per day, and that of course the "beaches" are concrete. But that just makes it seem like the most historically awesome swimming pool ever! Our hostel room there had a private terrace on the fourthish floor, so we had a great view over the rooftops and gee golly, it was just awesome. I highly recommend it.

6. Switzerland must have a highly-paid marketing agency representing it; they're very good at branding themselves and being consistent with the colors, font (Helvetica, of course), and general feel (though "Experience the plus!" leaves a little to be desired...).

7. Side salads, the sort you get with dinner plates , are AMAZING in Germany. I like a good salad, but those side salads tend to be nothing special where I'm from. Something the Germans did to them was really really great though. It must have been some combination of the dressing and well-chosen greens, but I was blown away.

8. EVERYONE likes Italian food. Certainly this was at least somewhat to be expected, since we were basically in areas that all either bordered or were Italy, but as far as regional cuisine goes, I would have expected a more even influence of German and maybe French. Instead it was pizzerias everywhere we went. Don't get me wrong, they were tasty! We had a huge delicious calzone in Germany, some very tasty pizzas in Slovenia and Switzerland, and of course linguine and lasagna and more pizza in Italy itself. But it turns out that Italian cuisine here in America is pretty much authentic, except for the very obviously americanized pizzas.

In any case we had a shitload of fun. Thanks for having a great continent!

Quote from: Drakonis
Everybody should just <3.

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2010, 07:11:07 pm »
Awesome, sounds like you had a blast man!

Offline machinaeFREAK

« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2010, 03:20:08 pm »
Well thank you. (For the continent compliment)
"The way of the ninja is the way of life, when lightning strikes once a ninja strikes twice"

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2010, 04:19:15 pm »
Maybe our continent is alright but your country is shit..

Offline gaijin

• Hiding behind the couch
  • Community Supporter
  • "You sound like the Morning Star"
    • Motljus
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2010, 04:55:52 pm »
Maybe our continent is alright but your country is shit..

Shit, even I'm not that nasty.
Oi, is this when I get a huge sig-image, start whining about "moar sid" and make nonsensical arguments to no good?

Offline mumppis

• I Know The mumppis
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2010, 07:03:24 pm »
australia oh the land of steve irwin and movies like crocodile dundee. tho they made farscape there buuut still and HI!

Offline WereVolvo

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
    • My personal site
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2010, 09:35:28 pm »
mumppis, have you been drinking agai- wait, stupid question, nevermind