Author Topic: Copenhagen Suborbitals  (Read 4380 times)

Offline Caranfin

Copenhagen Suborbitals
« on: September 04, 2010, 11:46:15 am »
In short, Copenhagen Suborbitals is a non-profit suborbital space endeavor led by two danes and based on Denmark, the aim of which is to launch a human being into suborbital space, 150km up. All the work is done by volunteers and the funding comes from sponsors and donations. The sponsors have also given the group some equipment.

I found out about this some time ago and have been following their process on their website and their Something Awful thread. They are planning to launch the first test rocket, with a shortened thrust, tomorrow. The aim is to test all sorts of things like engine performance and rocket recovery. Here is a video of the rocket arriving at Nexø earlier this week.

What's this, you say? You saw a submarine in the video? Oh yeah, some of the people making the rocket were also involved in building a submarine a couple of years ago. The floating launch platform is also very DIY.

I think this whole thing is one of the most awesome things I've ever heard about. Of course, they haven't launched anything yet and we can't know if it succeeds at all or if it just fails miserably. Anyway, looking forward to the launch and whatever they may learn through it.

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Armoured Tanks of Mass Destruction
Re: Copenhagen Suborbitals
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 02:42:56 pm »
I've been following this a bit too. I don't think the chance of success is very high, but if they succeed, they may have opened a new nice for much more affordable space programs, paving the way for a new space age, which is completely awesome.
"Actually, wooden stakes are for vampires. Wooden steaks are for vegetarians."

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Dignity! Strength! Love!
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 03:07:08 pm »
Insanely awesome !
Random ramblings and furious feminine novels per versatility.

Offline WereVolvo

• IRC Love Butter supplier
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Volvot ulvoo kuun savuun!
    • My personal site
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 06:43:46 pm »
As a regular player of EVE Online, I must say I find the thought of Goons (SA members) in space somewhat worrying. (RL Goonswarm anyone? :P)

The awesomeness is staggering, thou :D
<@Torp> I have seen your melted pussy!

Real Dwarfs wall themselves in once they are underground, and survive through incest and cat farming.

Offline machinaeFREAK

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 07:09:55 pm »
Submarines and space? It's gonna be JnG all over again
"The way of the ninja is the way of life, when lightning strikes once a ninja strikes twice"

Offline Caranfin

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 12:48:40 am »
I've been following this a bit too. I don't think the chance of success is very high, but if they succeed, they may have opened a new nice for much more affordable space programs, paving the way for a new space age, which is completely awesome.
Indeed. Although I would argue that a group of private citizens attempting something like this is really awesome, whether they succeed or not.

As a regular player of EVE Online, I must say I find the thought of Goons (SA members) in space somewhat worrying. (RL Goonswarm anyone? :P)

The awesomeness is staggering, thou :D
I think only one of the guys is a goon. That or the others don't post very much in thead at all. I don't think goonswarming the ISS will be a worry. ;P If only because the ISS is pretty far from where they're launching. And twice as high as they're aiming for with the final rocket.

Doesn't sound half bad as a third project, however.

Offline Caranfin

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 02:21:12 pm »
First launch attempt failed, here's the official post from the site:

Quote from: Copenhagen Suborbitals
MAIN LOX VALVE FAILURE

Due to the first time maritime operation at sea, the heating system of the LOX-valve was without power for longer than expected. Due to this, the LOX-valve might have been jammed by exposure to LOX-cooling. However, the rocket has not yet been examined, so additional reasons may be revealed later, if we find anothe reason to the LOX-valve failure..

LAUNCH ABORTED AND POSTPONED TO JUNE 2011
June 2011 since that's the next time they can use the launch area, not because it'd take that long to fix whatever's wrong with the rocket.

Oh and here is a picture of the LOX-valve "heating system". Yes, it is a blowdryer kept in place by duct tape.

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 12:22:47 am »
...blowdryer kept in place by duct tape.

Ahh. That might just be the problem.

Offline Caranfin

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 04:06:22 am »
...blowdryer kept in place by duct tape.

Ahh. That might just be the problem.
As far as I'm aware, the blowdryer is actually working pretty good. So is the duct tape. It's the battery they had problems with according to the SA thread. ;P

Offline Caranfin

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 07:47:00 pm »
Some HARDCORE thread resurrection up in this bitch.

THIS IS WHY

That's right. They launched a test flight today.

See a couple of posts higher there where I said the next launch window would be in June 2011? Well, it is June 2011. In fact, CS set off towards Bornholm a couple of days ago to test another launch with an upgraded HEAT-1X launch vehicle and Sputnik Mobile Launch Platform. Today was the set launch window, and the liftoff was successful.

Video of launch here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmGmymAWI4E

The object of this launch, AFAIK, was to test the launch sequencer and see if the thing actually lifts off and flies, as well as test the recovery and tracking protocols. The launch, as everyone can see, was pretty successful but not perfect. There was some wobble in the fight, as well as what seems like flicker in the rocket jet. Further, the parachute did not deploy very well at all. There was no height objective, as gaining altitude was not the focus during the test. I still haven't found a lot of information on everything that went well or didn't, but I'm sure they will at least have a lot of valuable data they can use to tweak and improve the system.

Some more pictures of the rocket and platform:

The first one is from last year. You will notice that the submarine is missing this year. This is because they modified the platform and it moves itself now. Sub is staying in Copenhagen as it is no longer needed in towing.

Offline Blastyr

• Level 80 Lurker
  • Machinae Prime
  • Geek it 'til it MHz.
    • blastyr.net
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 12:01:28 am »
This looks absolutely awesome. I don't have much to add that hasn't already been said; I just noticed this thread for the first time after your epic bump and felt the need to express how utterly awesome I think this is.

Also, did you say they also built that submarine? Like, from scratch? If so, do want.
Now re-engaging lurk mode.

Offline Caranfin

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 04:36:32 am »
I did say they built that submarine. Here is the wikipedia page for the UC3 Nautilus.

And, to make up for the lack of rockets in this post, here are a couple of photos taken on the launch platform today:

Beautiful.