Author Topic: 4th studio album?  (Read 162548 times)

Offline yas‮

• The laziest one.
  • I believe in respawn.
    • Me on SoundCloud
Re: 4th studio album?
« Reply #495 on: October 13, 2010, 11:32:15 pm »
I think decent earphones would handle it, as the sound chip used by iShits is pretty much OK. The only difference is within the earphones, cause those provided by Shittle company with your product are - yes, you guessed it - shitty.

Offline dezo

• ex Defence Against the Dark Arts
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #496 on: October 14, 2010, 12:16:53 am »
Troo. iPhone is a mainstream/good but not great mp3player. A pair of awesome headphones really lifts the sound. You'll never get the HiFi separation of the instruments and geeky stuff like that on an iPhone. The shitty part on an iPhone is the white stock headphones.

Offline Drakonis

• Fighter from Ninne
  • Community Supporter
  • "I am mine own Redeemer."
« Reply #497 on: October 14, 2010, 12:28:25 am »
Troo. iPhone is a mainstream/good but not great mp3player. A pair of awesome headphones really lifts the sound. You'll never get the HiFi separation of the instruments and geeky stuff like that on an iPhone. The shitty part on an iPhone is the white stock headphones.

I threw out the iPhone headphones immediately. I have a few different pairs I use, all in ear buds. Razer ProTone 100 I believe is what one is called. I find myself using a pair from Brookstone often ironically. They were expensive but they are crisper and clear at high volumes, lock out all outside noise, and provide considerably sexy bass. I'm open to suggestions though for sure to improve my experience. Ive even considered getting a unit for my car so I don't have to listen on my iPhone. Or even replacing the iPhone as my music player to begin with. I guess it sounds great to me, but I know if it can sound better then id like it more. Kinda like when I finally got a pair of decent earbuds for the first time. I didn't know it could sound that much better so perhaps I'm ignorant. If there's room for that kind of improvement again I'd be foolish not to pursue it ;)

Like I said, to me what I have sounds great. But I also know there's bound to be better, so why not save up and enjoy it? :)

Offline yas‮

• The laziest one.
  • I believe in respawn.
    • Me on SoundCloud
« Reply #498 on: October 14, 2010, 12:47:07 am »
iPhone/iPods could also use a graphic equalizer, but there's none available, which is sad. To listen to your MaSu when mobile I really recommend some in-ear phones, as they greatly reduce the outside noise. They can also act as a sort of an equalizer - want more bass? Just push them deeper into your ears. :) Creative's EP-630 are probably the best choice if you want a good quality to price ratio.

MaSu albums really differ in terms of mastering, so If you want to maintain a consistent sound throughout every song, you will definitely need some equalization. My personal favorite is Redeemer RE with its guitars being dominant, quieter but still noticeable bass and not too loud drums. Overworld's and DxM's open hats can make your ears hurt when listening loud through the headphones, though vocal is definitely a lot clearer and the overall sound is unique for both of them. It's greatly a matter of personal taste. I can't judge AVFTEOTW (what an ugly acronym) basing on crappy facebook rips yet, but for now I think it'll be a mixture between Overworld and RRE, with overall sound basing on the first, but the amount of compression and general feels similar to the latter.

Remember: you can use a high-end player, but two sets of headphones - different models, but even from the same manufacturer can alter the sound. Sometimes switching form the stock cable to a custom one can make a big difference. Even a pair of new headphones can play the sound differently than after 50 hours of playing. And as for the speakers - A LOT depends on your room's acoustics. And the nerves of your neighbours.

Offline Slacker

« Reply #499 on: October 14, 2010, 03:06:20 am »
Don't forget a headphone amp for mobile devices...  I listen to music a lot on my Droid Incredible, and I noticed my UE Triple.Fi 3's sounded washed out...  $20 and a CMOY kit from ebay later, I noticed a MASSIVE improvement in sound quality.  It's still not as good as a more expensive amp, but it did make a pretty big difference.

Of course, don't bother unless you have higher end headphones, an amp would probably blow out the stock iphone earbuds :p

Offline grubbster

« Reply #500 on: October 14, 2010, 07:55:03 am »
Super pumped for the album drop November 3.  Just finished listening to Force Feedback and Nova Prospekt for the um-teenth time.  Gotta say, those drums are pretty boss.  Great job on that Niklas!  And great job to the rest of the band!  This album is setting up to be another great release.  congrats guys.

btw, 500th reply. wooo... :)

Offline Drakonis

• Fighter from Ninne
  • Community Supporter
« Reply #501 on: October 14, 2010, 09:40:51 am »
Yap, like I said I use strictly in-ear phones. It's been a while but I spent around 70-100 USD on the two pair I use today (well, one was on sale and probAbly ran me closer to 40. Go woot!). Of course cost doesn't really measure quality. When I'm on my PC I'll link what I use. I didn't even know ear phone amps existed. Sounds like it's time to research! ;)

Offline Ageless

• There can only be one SID
« Reply #502 on: October 14, 2010, 02:23:11 pm »
Every bit of compression is a loss to the song. (Not mixing/compression, mp3 and such).
Just writing to CD needs a form of compression already. Does this mean you'll release on vinyl as well? :P
Jord

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Armoured Tanks of Mass Destruction
« Reply #503 on: October 14, 2010, 02:47:10 pm »
Every bit of compression is a loss to the song. (Not mixing/compression, mp3 and such).
Just writing to CD needs a form of compression already. Does this mean you'll release on vinyl as well? :P

Do want!
"Actually, wooden stakes are for vampires. Wooden steaks are for vegetarians."

Offline yas‮

• The laziest one.
  • I believe in respawn.
    • Me on SoundCloud
« Reply #504 on: October 14, 2010, 03:40:39 pm »
If it's recorded lossless digitally (ie. as wav) writing to a digital media (like optical disks) does not involve any kind of compression.

If it's recorded on analog media first (such as tapes, DATs and shit - which I'm certain MaSu doesn't use), then some there will be losses in analog to digital conversion (known as ADC).
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 03:42:46 pm by yasiekk »

Offline Sirix

• Self proclaimed forum Villain
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #505 on: October 14, 2010, 04:33:31 pm »
Can't stop listening to Nova Prospekt and Force Feedback.

Every time I think for even a second that maybe the new album will be the first bad one, I'm proved wrong in so many ways. Keep up the absolutely fantastic chill-inducing work.

Offline Drakonis

• Fighter from Ninne
  • Community Supporter
« Reply #506 on: October 14, 2010, 04:45:06 pm »
Every time I think for even a second that maybe the new album will be the first bad one, I'm proved wrong in so many ways.

BLASPHEMER! TIE HIM TO THE ROUTER AND SET HIM ON FIREWIRE!   >:D

I hear you, I've been playing Nova Prospekt and Force Feedback way too much. The beautiful thing is, even with my rediculous abuse of their play they're holding up. They're every bit as good the first time I heard them as they are now. Machinae songs hold up so damn well, it's amazing. Theres not many songs, let alone bands, that can hold up to this kind of abusive replay without getting at least kind of boring or needing a break. That could just be the fanboy in me but who cares, good shite.  ;D

T-Minus about 20 days to Pwn-Day

Offline Crazywater

« Reply #507 on: October 14, 2010, 06:42:48 pm »
If it's recorded lossless digitally (ie. as wav) writing to a digital media (like optical disks) does not involve any kind of compression.
Wav is not lossless. It only has a limited sample rate!

Of course, that still makes it pretty much lossless in the frequency range that humans can hear ;) but yeah. Not totally lossless.
We're open to such things, we've even talked many times about doing it with Inja, but in a way that's redundant because we can already get Erica
:o brown chicken brown cow :o

Offline dezo

• ex Defence Against the Dark Arts
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #508 on: October 14, 2010, 07:57:59 pm »
Does this mean you'll release on vinyl as well?

Or wait... how about we do a live gig??? =D

Offline Inkognito

• cmd. Zavtrak
« Reply #509 on: October 14, 2010, 09:04:48 pm »
Does this mean you'll release on vinyl as well?

Or wait... how about we do a live gig??? =D
The only problem is that no one of us can preorder a live gig with a delivery. In contrast to the vinyl =)