Author Topic: 4th studio album?  (Read 161787 times)

Hadou

Re: 4th studio album?
« Reply #480 on: October 12, 2010, 08:58:57 pm »
Ya. Interesting choice too, even if you aren't a half-life fan I recommend googling "Nova Prospekt Wiki". Interesting story behind that place, pretty cool to select it as the song title. ;)

Probably more to do with the whole big brother mentality of today's society, what with Nova Prospekt being "a security and detention installation controlled by the Combine in Half-Life 2."

That's just my two cents.

Offline Drakonis

• Fighter from Ninne
  • Community Supporter
  • "I am mine own Redeemer."
« Reply #481 on: October 12, 2010, 09:03:32 pm »
It also sounds like the "victory" at Nova Prospekt is when the fight against the combine started to turn around, it became apparent they were not invincible.  ;D

Offline Muckwuddly

« Reply #482 on: October 12, 2010, 10:50:41 pm »
I've ripped the .mp4's off the official Youtube page (the 720p ones) and they seem to be higher quality than the Facebook player rips.. I'm not 100% sure but the filesizes are definitely bigger - may be because of the video though but they do come out as 20.5mb and 21.5mb instead of ~10mb of the FB player rips..

As I said though, probably just because of the huge 720p picture. Although it is pretty cool - would be interesting to rip that out and probably make an unofficial wallpaper :P

10mb for an mp3 is actually pretty good quality.

Robert should release that picture as an official instead!
Eh, Rob?

Offline Schattenjaeger

• Somewhere inside I'd like to find...
« Reply #483 on: October 13, 2010, 12:43:18 am »
The mp3's I found on certain pirate shores are 256k CBRs. That's quite decent for something you haven't ripped yourself. That said, FLAC or CD quality is still noticeably better.
Your approval fills me with shame.

Offline MarioMaster100

• Atari & arcade music formed my chiptune love.
« Reply #484 on: October 13, 2010, 01:07:34 am »
Newborn question: how do you get flac files anyway, special cd rip program? I've always used mp3.

Signature and avatar credits to: MFreak and others from n-forums.com

Offline Haastrain

• Yes! Yes!
« Reply #485 on: October 13, 2010, 01:30:03 am »
Newborn question: how do you get flac files anyway, special cd rip program? I've always used mp3.

Most programs can rip a CD in FLAC. I have done it with Winamp, Foobar, and AIMP2. IMO, unless you have an amazing and expensive sound system, you really can't tell the difference between 320 MP3 and lossless FLAC. And since most MP3 players don't support FLAC, I just try to get 320 MP3s.

Offline Schattenjaeger

« Reply #486 on: October 13, 2010, 03:48:43 am »

Most programs can rip a CD in FLAC. I have done it with Winamp, Foobar, and AIMP2. IMO, unless you have an amazing and expensive sound system, you really can't tell the difference between 320 MP3 and lossless FLAC. And since most MP3 players don't support FLAC, I just try to get 320 MP3s.

Same, for the same reasons. My car's CD/MP3 player obviously doesn't support FLAC... but you can pack 50 average length 320k mp3's on a CD = P

Offline irriadin

« Reply #487 on: October 13, 2010, 04:23:14 am »
I go with FLAC and V0 VBR for MP3. Honestly, once you get to about 256 or so, it's almost impossible to tell the difference...

Offline Slacker

« Reply #488 on: October 13, 2010, 06:10:23 am »
The facebook rips came out to be 256k, but they definitely do not sound like they are actually playing at that bitrate.  The youtube vids sound better at 720p, but either way I have the album on order so I'll have lossless come Nov 3rd (hopefully) :D

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #489 on: October 13, 2010, 07:37:30 pm »
I go with FLAC and V0 VBR for MP3. Honestly, once you get to about 256 or so, it's almost impossible to tell the difference...

You can tell the difference if you have high-spec speakers cranked up to 11. The bass is much clearer on FLAC, as opposed to 256k mp3's, in which the bass warps and overwhelms the trebles.

Offline Schattenjaeger

« Reply #490 on: October 13, 2010, 09:24:52 pm »
MP3s and other compressed audio sources ultimately cut out the frequencies which humans generally can't hear. This nerfs the experience for those whose hearing ranges span a wider range than the typical human. Myself, for instance, I can perceive up into the 14-16KHz range, which is quite rare.

It can, however, be quite painful as well...

Offline dezo

• ex Defence Against the Dark Arts
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #491 on: October 13, 2010, 09:58:38 pm »
Every bit of compression is a loss to the song. (Not mixing/compression, mp3 and such).
Ofc you can have a better experience if you hear a song on a sweet rig with a correct source then if you hear the same song from a iPod with the standard (apple white piece of iShit -phones).

If any of you HiFi nerds are coming to the release gig, pm me (if you want) and I'll invite you to my dungeon for a reference listening.

Offline yas‮

• The laziest one.
  • I believe in respawn.
    • Me on SoundCloud
« Reply #492 on: October 13, 2010, 10:00:49 pm »
Can you move your release party to Poland for me? :)

Offline gaijin

• Hiding behind the couch
  • Community Supporter
  • "You sound like the Morning Star"
    • Motljus
« Reply #493 on: October 13, 2010, 10:26:45 pm »
Every bit of compression is a loss to the song. (Not mixing/compression, mp3 and such).
Ofc you can have a better experience if you hear a song on a sweet rig with a correct source then if you hear the same song from a iPod with the standard (apple white piece of iShit -phones).

If any of you HiFi nerds are coming to the release gig, pm me (if you want) and I'll invite you to my dungeon for a reference listening.

Set me up, I'm bored. ;P
Oi, is this when I get a huge sig-image, start whining about "moar sid" and make nonsensical arguments to no good?

Offline Drakonis

• Fighter from Ninne
  • Community Supporter
  • "I am mine own Redeemer."
« Reply #494 on: October 13, 2010, 11:22:05 pm »

I listen on an iShit 4 :(

If you have any suggestions to improve my mobile music experience (bangin' at work, in the car, etc) please share fo sho.

At home of course I manage a little bit better, hehe.