Author Topic: Ghost in a shell!  (Read 11655 times)

Offline Outboundlight

• Renegade Anarchist Folk Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Rogue World Asylum Seeker
    • No Art Films
Re:Ghost in a shell!
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2003, 07:29:35 pm »
Dog Soliders is brilliant! if only the budget had have been slightly bigger!

I think one of the positive aspects of movie remakes is that it brings the movie to a new audience.

The first thing I did after I watched the remake of the ring was to seek out the original and I loved it!

I think this can be said about movies like the Matrix which borrow things from less well known genres.
This how many people have been introduced to John Woo films, cyberpunk films and books and generally the alternative action scene that exists in animé and manga thanks to the matrix.

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Dignity! Strength! Love!
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2003, 08:18:29 pm »
What you said about Matrix was right, I think. But like I said: there would be no need for remake of movies if only american's would watch originals. If there'll be more audience in america, original moviemakers would get more money and they could use bigger budgets. Just think what kind of movie they would next do if more people in america would be interested in foreign movies? If they would rent and buy foreign movies? I'm really relieved that this has already happened what it becomes to anime. USA is big reseller of anime nowadays (with fairly good subs). In the matter of fact most anime-DVD's I've bought came from USA ;) and rest came from England. There's some anime-resaling in europe too, but it reduces amount of available films 'cause french wants them in french and germans in german. In England they do some subs and resales and amount of articles is rising...There have been even made first finnish subs for anime-DVD! So if you want to see good movies, demand originals! If you ask foreign movies from local movie-shop or rental-place they will have some. You'll see good movies and can support arts globally. Just do some surfing in net and find some movies that might interest you. Experiment. You'll suprise how good movies they do in other countries! You might find it hard to find foreign movies in Usa but try, it's worth of it. Demand quality, demand original versions!
Random ramblings and furious feminine novels per versatility.

Offline Outboundlight

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
    • No Art Films
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2003, 01:39:05 am »
there would be no need for remake of movies if only american's would watch originals. If there'll be more audience in america, original moviemakers would get more money and they could use bigger budgets.

Oh god dont we wish, The American moive scene is dominated so much by Hollywood that nothing else gets a chance! for now, Hollywood remakes are opening audiences eyes to the world of independant and foreign films and until more people realise that what is expensive, well advertised and has Keanu Reaves playing the lead male isnt always the best movie, thats the way its gonna be

Offline Wintress

• Machinae rocks!
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2003, 05:08:45 am »
I think one of the positive aspects of movie remakes is that it brings the movie to a new audience.

I agree. Otherwise, the other audiences (NOT just USA) might not ever be exposed to particular storyline.
"You don't have to like flour just because you happen to like buns!"  ;)

Offline Wintress

• Machinae rocks!
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2003, 05:30:23 am »
Dog Soldiers (2002) ( ENGLAND)
28 Days Later (2002) ( ENGLAND, NETHERLANDS, USA)

I've seen both. Both were excellent movies.

Who's to blame when they don't succeed in Usa whereas some movie like "Not Another Teen Movie" succeeds? It's 'cause americans.

Gravehill, I've heard enough American bashing so this is the last post for me on this subject.

Have you never thought that the percentage of native-born Americans IN America (not so-called "naturalized" foreigners either) is dropping faster than a Sumo wrestler off of a high-dive!? If foreign films were the bomb and so much better than American movies...why the hell don't the MASSES of foreigners that live in our country with us, make a demand for films from their own cultures/countries??! Their numbers are so vast here that IF they wanted "foreign" movies to make it big here, THEY COULD AND WOULD. Simple as that.
- The End - ;)
"You don't have to like flour just because you happen to like buns!"  ;)

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2003, 11:22:44 am »
I'm sure that masses will make the demand. It just takes some time. Anime and manga took about 20 years to spread so widely in USA. On the other hand, when Usa's and Japan's relationship (american troops in Japan) was like it was it was natural that Japanese culture would spread faster. Other thing that was helping to spread them in Usa was great amount of asians living in Usa.

My intention was not to bash americans. Like I said there is good movies made in Usa. Hollywood protects it's interests so hard it's really hard to other kind of movies come to american markets. That's true. Hollywood wants to make remakes just to collect money from movies that are great but made somewhere else. Period. It's not very original and it's not very creative. It's nothing about making movies known to masses, just lack of imagination. I'm just grown tired to this matter of closed market-areas. I think there should be more freedom between market-areas. And more open-mindedness for people. Some "foreign" movies are superior to american movies. And vice-versa. Quality does not look at nationality! And of course, trash is produced all over world, too.

Offline robert

• Baka
  • Band Member
  • \,,/_(o-O)_,,i,.
    • Machinae Supremacy
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2003, 09:56:00 pm »
Gravehill, I do agree with you that the visual style of matrix is great and feels new in that respect. I love the design of the ships and the sentinels, especially.

It's my job to keep SID elite.

---

<WereVolvo> you can't brain today, you have the dumb?

Offline neoblAze

• Fan of the month - April 2003!
  • nes enhanced
    • neoblaze online
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2003, 10:20:13 am »
The Animatrix is totally awesome. I expecially like "Matriculated", it's just so... deep.

Offline Outboundlight

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
    • No Art Films
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2003, 10:10:43 pm »
yeh Matriculated was unbelievable! (also one of my suggestions for the machinae album name  ;) )

the 2nd renaissance episodes were very good as well I thought

Offline neoblAze

• Fan of the month - April 2003!
  • nes enhanced
    • neoblaze online
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2003, 10:15:51 am »
Every single episode is awesome. I'll have to watch it again sometime soon, to gather more information that I may have missed.

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2003, 11:38:46 pm »
Yaie!

I just got my hands on Inoue Takehiko's manga Vagabond! I waited for it 2 months and now it finally arrived! And it was well worth of waiting! Reading legendary tale of Miyamoto Musashi in manga is THE EXPERIENCE.... I have read the novel by Yoshikawa Eiji and seen the Samurai Trilogy (starring Toshiro Mifune) and and and.....

Yaaaaa...Have to order all parts from 2 to up tomorrow!

Incredible manga! I recommend it deeply!