1 (12.5%)
No
1 (12.5%)
Haven't Listened
5 (62.5%)
No moar metalcoar
1 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: As I Lay Dying - The Powerless Rise  (Read 1148 times)

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
As I Lay Dying - The Powerless Rise
« on: May 07, 2010, 06:42:25 pm »
So i just got As I Lay Dying's new album titled "The Powerless Rise" and from the title alone that doesn't really get me exited. And i may as well not have been.
This band was once my favorite by far, with the albums Frail Words Collapse and Shadows Are Security.

The album being produced to KsE's wonderkid Adam Dutkiewicz, the sound is anything from that what you would expect from the albums he has produced. The band has a much darker sound, leaning to the Trashmetal/Melodic Death, rather than the old roots from the band.
Now you could say i was just another elitist MF trying to force his old habits upon bands who just want to do something different.
That would be true, if not for the fact that this band is not just doing some different, they ARE a complete different band now.

Aside from all the weeaboo shit, the skills from the band members have greatly improved and the new riffs and melodies are busted out with seemingly great ease.
Tim's vocals have a much deeper range, from the occasional hardcore belts, you will find that the rest is standard deeps and highs.

The album is greatly focussed around hooks and sing alongs, but strangely enough misses songs such as 94 hours/Through Struggle/Elegy/or hell, even The Sound Of Truth.

Josh Gilbert's clean vocals find a new way to completely ruin anything that was an attempt to write a ungeneric album. Verse chorus verse chorus, a solo then boom.

All in all, the album was much too overhyped and overly-anticipated that the end result became such an anti climax.

6/10   :P
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 09:19:31 pm by Jack Lupino »

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
Re: As I Lay Dying - The Powerless Rise
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 03:19:12 am »
Trashmetal

My favourite common metal typo (although fitting in this case).
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester