Author Topic: 4chan threats.  (Read 4375 times)

Offline machinaeFREAK

4chan threats.
« on: March 06, 2010, 02:18:58 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmjJ_aN3sCg

This video is about a year old.

It is about a boy from Holland, who (as a joke) threatened to commit a shootout in a school in the vicinity of Brabant. He posted this on 4chan.

The government and FBI were alarmed, and they started tracking his IP adres. Thanks to FBI PC geeks, they found him within hours.

I want to know your opinion about this. Was it taken too seriously? Or did the police act right to track his IP and arrest him?

Personnally, i think this was taken way too seriously by the Dutch government. They should have thinked about this before they had taken action.

"The way of the ninja is the way of life, when lightning strikes once a ninja strikes twice"

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Armoured Tanks of Mass Destruction
Re: 4chan threats.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 08:57:47 pm »
Thing is, considering what kind of people have committed school shootings in the past, the action was pretty sound. What if the kid had actually gone and done it?
Better to overreact nine times out of ten, but actually stop a tragedy one time than ignoring those threats as childish pranks.
"Actually, wooden stakes are for vampires. Wooden steaks are for vegetarians."

Offline machinaeFREAK

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 11:00:22 am »
Your statement is right, but the overreaction could have been a bit less.
"The way of the ninja is the way of life, when lightning strikes once a ninja strikes twice"

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Armoured Tanks of Mass Destruction
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 01:49:17 pm »
Your statement is right, but the overreaction could have been a bit less.

So, finding out who's making threats, finding them and taking action against them is overreacting? I don't know the details, since I don't understand enough Dutch to get the contents of that clip, but from what I gather, they found him and made an arrest for illegal threats or something. Sounds like proper legal action to me. After all, death threats are illegal in most countries...
"Actually, wooden stakes are for vampires. Wooden steaks are for vegetarians."

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 03:19:01 pm »
Thing is, considering what kind of people have committed school shootings in the past, the action was pretty sound. What if the kid had actually gone and done it?
Better to overreact nine times out of ten, but actually stop a tragedy one time than ignoring those threats as childish pranks.
My thoughts exactly, threats that have been proven true in the past should always be taken with caution.

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 05:27:50 pm »
While I don't agree to that principle, evilcandybag, I agree that the action taken here seems pretty sound.
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

Offline Laser.T

• 日本人ですか?
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 10:33:27 am »
I totally agree with the government/FBI. Anybody stupid enough to make fake threats deserves it. There have been enough times when someone has posted threats on 4chan, or a forum, or wherever on the Internet, and they have been serious. The one that comes immediately to mind is the case where a Japanese guy posted updates on his progress as he drove in Akibahara, mowing down pedestrians and then getting out and stabbing a few more. If the authorities had noticed these updates and reacted, maybe he could have been stopped. There are other cases where someone has made threats online, and when their place has been raided weapons have been found. Who knows whether they truly intended to use them, but I'd prefer them to err on the side of caution.

But this is about a boy who didn't actually intend to do anything, just felt like making threats. How are the FBI/goverrnment supposed to know? Would you rather them have tabs on all of us 24/7? Big Brother so they can immediately pick out those who do not conform? Of course you don't. In that case, this is all they can do. It's not an overreaction. This boy was stupid. People should learn that making threats is a serious thing. It's not a joke.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 10:35:39 am by aka. »

Offline machinaeFREAK

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 03:45:35 pm »
Hm, yeah, i have to agree with you. It was a righteous action.

Offline Tolkki

• A bane to evil.
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 07:08:01 pm »
I agree too. There has been many cases similar to this in Finland, and there has been happened something like this. Its not overreacting, its more like protecting people.
Lurkkers gonna lurk.

Smeagol

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 10:16:57 pm »

man the action was totally bogus

Offline slippy0

• ┐('~`ï¼›)┌
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 12:37:45 am »

man the action was totally bogus

The action is a pretty cool guy, eh arrests bomb threats and doesn't afraid of anything
See why Massachusetts rocks? We have Slippy <.<

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 05:45:17 pm »
That sentence was so fucked up it made me lol a little and spill my drink over my office  :'(

Offline WereVolvo

• IRC Love Butter supplier
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Volvot ulvoo kuun savuun!
    • My personal site
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 09:31:35 pm »
<@Torp> I have seen your melted pussy!

Real Dwarfs wall themselves in once they are underground, and survive through incest and cat farming.

Offline Sleepy

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 09:49:59 am »
i think whether or not the action taken was just isn't the problem here. i think the problem is stupid fucking people saying incomprehensibly dumb shit; which they know damn well has a very obvious interpretation as a threat. all in the name of saying something stupid. i'm all for free speech, and would not deny him the ability to say the same again. however, you should think about the consequences of opening your mouth before you do so. if you realize what you're going to say will be taken out of context, well, then say something else.

i could give a damn about what he said. they should have beat that fucker for being a dumb ass.
*static*

Offline machinaeFREAK

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 08:19:39 pm »
If they did this in Finland, no one would have died form schoolshootings. i thought the police overreactied at first, but now i know they did the right thing  :)