Author Topic: Health  (Read 3547 times)

Offline Chronologix

• SiteDeveloper
  • I am Canadian!
Health
« on: February 03, 2010, 02:49:08 am »
alright so...my new year's resolution was for me to start eating better, and healthier. I have been eating proper meals through the day (although kind of expensive when eating at work) and looking into vitamins and other "healthy food tidbits"

Anyone have any simple easy-to-get-into habits for a healthier routine?

Personally I have been looking into Garlic as one of those "wonder foods" and started eating cloves raw in the morning (it burns!)

And a raw carrot sometimes between dinner and sleep. Both are supposed to be good for the system, give a healthy heart and boost your immune system (I fsking hate getting sick) and within the short time of starting my routine (a month now) I have seen a great improvement in my day.

So what do you do?! (besides eat love-butter cookies...wonder how good those are for your heart...hmmm)

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
Re: Health
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 03:07:46 am »
I'll give a few simple tips to start off here.

1. Bring your own food to work. That is, if you're concerned about the price.
2. Eat bigger meals earlier in the day, and smaller meals later in the day. Breakfast should be big, dinner should be fairly small. Unless you're refilling energy for/after exercise.
2-1. Eat often. Every 3 hours is recommended. It doesn't have to be a full meal every time, of course.
2-2. Have some healthy snacks available. These can fit in well as one or two of the 3-hour meals, and you can nibble on them if you are tempted to go and get a unhealthy snack.
2-2-1. Nuts are good healthy snacks. Avoid salted ones. The perfect healthy snack might be a combination of unsalted nuts and dried fruits.
3. Eat more fruits and vegetables. You do need meat, but we here in the West eat too much of it. The way I see it, meat should probably generally be a side dish to a largely vegetarian meal.
4. Tea is healthy. Coffee too. Just not too much of it. 2 cups of coffee or 4-5 cups of tea, slightly more if it's green or white.

The reason you should eat often are many. First of all, it keeps your metabolism high. You burn more energy while digesting food, and several small meals throughout the day means you'll be going around digesting food more often. Also, it keeps your blood sugar more constant, avoids too high highs and too low lows, which is good for avoiding diabetes. It also helps concentration. And you avoid your body going into energy saving mode, which it will if it is deprived of new energy for too long.

I have a pretty good amount of knowledge in this field, actually, thanks to a sister who nearly ended up taking a degree on the subject. I just don't practice it very well.
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

Offline chompy

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 03:47:01 am »
Pretty much what Torp said.

If you can muster up the courage to remove soft drinks(pop, fizzy drinks). Instead of drinking soft drinks go for a juice(still high in sugar) or tea. Then once you get happy drinking not soft drinks drink water. I did this a couple of years ago and it helped heaps with my skin and was able to drop a couple of kgs from it too.

If you can stomach it eat a big breakfast and also big lunch. I cant eat a big breakfast but love eating big lunches and it just keeps me going throughout the day.

When I was working my day would go something like this, actually this is generally how it looks every day (except for the 2 breakfasts are now one);
6am - eat small breakfast(grains, toast or 2 eggs) before leaving home
9am - eat bigger breakfast(grains) at work
11am - eat something, fruit or biscuits maybe sandwich
1pm - eat large lunch
3pm - eat something, fruit or biscuits
about 7,9pm - eat smaller dinner

I found bringing 2 apples a day to work, works wonders. Especially if you go get hungry in between the main meals. I actually got so many complements of how much I generally ate in one day. Mind you I am not large only at 76kgs at 5 foot 11.

Offline Chronologix

• SiteDeveloper
  • I am Canadian!
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 03:57:56 am »
Breakfast is a main issue for my day, all other meals except breakfast I can do fine, but unless I wake up way early before work to make myself one, it doesn't work so well. I have unfortunately stooped to using those milkshake powder breakfast mixes instead of a real meal, as I am usually pretty cut for time between waking up and going to work (not to mention going to sleep around 12-2am and having to be at work for 8 (or 7 some days).

As for soft drinks...not sure if I can give them up, kinda grown an addiction to colas, not to mention at work they have a can of soda for 50c whereas a small bottle of orange juice is 1.99 (so it kind of deters me from getting it....even though every first break (work breakfast) I get myself a bun/croissant/muffin and some orange juice)

The other main issue I have with juices, is that no matter how much I buy, I tend to burn through it like water and it never lasts me long enough.

I am at the other end of the spectrum for metabolism though, mine is always very high, and I am nowhere near a heavy person (if anything I need to GAIN weight, it is another one of those things that makes me feel "not healthy")

So i tend to eat soups, sandwiches or even chili at lunch hours. And if I am feeling generous (and feel like burning some cash) buy myself a fruit bowl for my morning meal (which are quite costly though...another deterrence)

I drink my tea at home, mainly Chai, because it is easy straight, but I tend to add a ton of sugar to my other teas, Earl Grey, etc. Usually not that 4-5 cups though, only 1-2 -.-
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 04:00:02 am by Chronologix »

Offline slippy0

• ┐('~`ï¼›)┌
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 07:13:08 am »
man breakfast is easy. You just need to find a wholegrain/high fiber cereal that you like. The only hard part is the "that you like" part. I personally like Kashi Golean crunch, it's healthy and fills me up like a motherfucker.

If you want to go srs on your breakfast, you're just going to have to wake up earlier :c
See why Massachusetts rocks? We have Slippy <.<

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 07:59:31 am »
i just woke up with a cola and a smoke ;x

Offline Chronologix

• SiteDeveloper
  • I am Canadian!
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 08:11:33 am »

does that give you super powers?

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Armoured Tanks of Mass Destruction
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 11:33:37 am »
I have managed to stop drinking soda and other sweet stuff by always having a bottle of water at hand (only a truly viable option if you have drinkable tap water). It's as close to free as you can get (for me it is free as it's included in my rent). It can't be considered nutritious, but fills a good function in not raising blood sugar levels, meaning you get hungry when you need to eat, not when your last sugar intake has depleted.
"Actually, wooden stakes are for vampires. Wooden steaks are for vegetarians."

Offline Crazywater

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 11:54:39 am »
2. Eat bigger meals earlier in the day, and smaller meals later in the day. Breakfast should be big, dinner should be fairly small. Unless you're refilling energy for/after exercise.
2-1. Eat often. Every 3 hours is recommended. It doesn't have to be a full meal every time, of course.
As far as I know, there's some controversy about these two points. Some research suggests our body needs longer breaks between meals, and some suggests the opposite. Same about eating a lot early and less in the evening.

So I guess doing what suits you is just fine.
We're open to such things, we've even talked many times about doing it with Inja, but in a way that's redundant because we can already get Erica
:o brown chicken brown cow :o

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 12:16:39 pm »

does that give you super powers?
No, a headace. ;/ normally i eat pretty healthy, but i woke up around 6am and figured what the hell, normally i'd still be awake around that time anyway. =D

Offline slippy0

• ┐('~`ï¼›)┌
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 06:02:33 pm »

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 06:58:34 pm »
bachelor toad ftmfw! ;D

Offline yas‮

• The laziest one.
  • I believe in respawn.
    • Me on SoundCloud
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 07:21:10 pm »
I never eat healthy food. Fast food mostly. Did I mention that I'm 55 kg? I look like an ethiopian runner, except I'm white. And not hungry.

Offline slippy0

• ┐('~`ï¼›)┌
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 05:55:34 am »
I never eat healthy food. Fast food mostly. Did I mention that I'm 55 kg? I look like an ethiopian runner, except I'm white. And not hungry.

Anorexics are just going on a diet of Ethiopian food only.

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2010, 06:14:38 pm »
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 06:19:48 pm by Jack Lupino »