Author Topic: So I got a new Motorola Droid...  (Read 5484 times)

Offline Blastyr

• Level 80 Lurker
  • Machinae Prime
  • Geek it 'til it MHz.
    • blastyr.net
So I got a new Motorola Droid...
« on: December 26, 2009, 03:28:15 am »
...and it...is...AWESOME.

Anyway, on to the -real- reason I posted here. I have a hard plastic case for the phone that snaps on to protect it. I'm thinking of doing some etching on the rear cover to give it some texture. (The case is kinda slick to the touch, and slips from my hand rather easily if I'm not holding on to it well enough.) I was wondering if any of you graphic artists would mind lending your skills. Basically, I need single-color designs to etch into the plastic, so nothing too complicated. I'm dead set on having the barcode graphic next to the hole in the cover for the camera, though. That leaves about 5 cm (width) by 6.5 cm (height) of space left to work with.

The easier approach would be to print out some artwork on paper and secure it with tape to the inside of the rear cover. While this solution would allow for more creativity and complexity in the design, it wouldn't give me the textured grip I'm looking for. It would also probably mean I'd need to get a more transparent cover. The one I currently have is semi-transparent blue, and can be seen here. Also, in case you don't know how to use Google, the Droid is a black not unlike that on my awesome mouse pad. (Thanks, MaSu Shop. 8))

I'll probably end up combining these two methods, but at the moment, I'm looking for some artwork that I can make use of in one solution. Any of you guys feel like helping out?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 09:32:48 pm by Riax »
Now re-engaging lurk mode.

Offline SpeedD

• Machinae Prime
  • Canada, BITCH!
    • Egg!
Re: So I got a new Motorola Droid...
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 03:50:25 am »
~DrrrRRRooOOIIIdD~
"What I felt was turned, in the tempest forged to hate. My soul I disconnected, and called out the Lightbringer to the gate."

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 05:13:56 pm »
Someone will suggest this at one point or another, so I'll just do it.

Do the Trinity symbol...
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

Offline Cerapter

• 100% Recycled
    • Home
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 06:00:23 pm »
But what does this gizmo do?
Just close your eyes and keep your mind wide open.

Offline Blastyr

• Level 80 Lurker
  • Machinae Prime
  • Geek it 'til it MHz.
    • blastyr.net
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 12:33:03 am »
Rather than regale you with everything this sexy piece of tech can do, I will just say that it runs a Linux-based OS. If you want to know more, here's a link to Engadget's review of the device.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/30/motorola-droid-review/

As for the Trinity logo suggestion, I'm now thinking of just etching the barcode graphic across the entire rear cover, which includes the Trinity logo.

EDIT: Also, I'd like to point out that the forums actually render quite nicely on the Droid, viewing in landscape. (I'm using it right now, in fact.)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 12:35:53 am by Riax »

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 06:18:40 pm »
i was amazed at the new iphone my brother showed me yesterday

Offline dezo

• ex Defence Against the Dark Arts
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 06:50:28 pm »
I was actually thinking of buying one of them droids but now since Nexus One seems to be almost the same phone just a little bit faster I think I'll buy that one instead.
Android seems to be win and awesome if you want to do some scripting on your own.
Also, Google is SkyNet. Resistance is futile. ;)

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 06:53:18 pm »
*cue intro from T2* DUN DUN DUN DU DUN.* "pieeueu pieeuuu wiii."
I have a nokia n96 and mother FUCK those things are slow.
When i just open my messages it takes like 2 or 3 minutes to respond, same with contacts, if im in a hurry or some shit and my phone freezes i am seriously in trouble ;/

Offline dezo

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 07:20:12 pm »
I'm running a iPhone 3g atm just to get the mail sync from my work but holy shit, that's redundant. It's muck better if you can't answer mails until you're at the office =)
Gives me more time to make music...

Offline Blastyr

• Level 80 Lurker
  • Machinae Prime
  • Geek it 'til it MHz.
    • blastyr.net
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 10:02:25 pm »
I'm running a iPhone 3g atm just to get the mail sync from my work but holy shit, that's redundant. It's muck better if you can't answer mails until you're at the office =)
Gives me more time to make music...
iPhone.... No comment. :-X

And anything that gives MaSu more time to make pure win and awesome is very good indeed. :)

I'd like to add that I did consider printing one of Chrono's wallpapers and just placing that behind the cover, but I'm already using one on my home screen. ;)

EDIT: Wow, I just noticed this. Dezo, did you bust out the leet hax on your post count? :P

EDIT2: Because I'm a geek, I calculated your post count by taking the number of days you've been registered (814) and multiplying it by your posts per day (10305.414). You have 8388607 posts. ;D
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 10:39:46 pm by Riax »

Offline dezo

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 02:55:45 am »
EDIT: Wow, I just noticed this. Dezo, did you bust out the leet hax on your post count? :P

EDIT2: Because I'm a geek, I calculated your post count by taking the number of days you've been registered (814) and multiplying it by your posts per day (10305.414). You have 8388607 posts. ;D

I am awesome. =)

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 09:26:01 am »
The Android platform is awesome. I just installed Cyanogen's Mod on my phone yesterday, and everything is working amazingly. Now I can get all sorts of fun open-source mod goodies (like new themes, one of which I am now using).

I don't know anything about etching, but I figured I'd comment about how great Android is. ;D
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 04:41:21 am »

he actually has 943 posts. which is 0.0756336221% of my postcount. ;) Because the rest either all hacked or forged their postcounts, i remain as today only member exceeding 12k. (actually i have 14274)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 04:47:43 am by Jack Lupino »

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Armoured Tanks of Mass Destruction
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 09:36:51 am »
 :o Dezo hacked his postcount!
"Actually, wooden stakes are for vampires. Wooden steaks are for vegetarians."

Offline yas‮

• The laziest one.
  • I believe in respawn.
    • Me on SoundCloud
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2010, 02:46:08 pm »
iPhone > Droids/Nexuses Ones.
I know most of people who haven't even touched an iPhone go "OMGZ JOO GOTZ IPHOEN IT SUXXORS ITZ APPLEZ SRY ANDROIDZ RULZ!!!!111one", but if you want to use it mostly as a phone, not some uber-multimedia player or whatever, it's fast and very reliable. Plus, the 2G models are cheap and nearly indestructible.

And remember: girls like expensive phones. So do pickpockets.