Author Topic: Metal Frustration!  (Read 11450 times)

Offline Sirix

• Self proclaimed forum Villain
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
Metal Frustration!
« on: December 20, 2009, 05:06:12 pm »
90% of metal bands SUCK and I haven't found a good new one in a long time.

I'm particularly itching for a new Death Metal band (currently in love with Dethklok), but every other metal band's vocals that I've checked out sound more like someone is vomiting rather than gutturally singing.

I know you guys are the right guys to ask.
So please help!

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
Re: Metal Frustration!
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 08:27:47 pm »
Baroness. Listen to Red Album and Blue Record (my friends like Red Album more, I prefer Blue Record, although the first song on Red Album is probably my favorite of all of theirs). I don't like their LPs very much, but their two full albums are fantastic.

There's also Mastodon if you've never listened to them. I got into them with the new album and then worked my way backwards. I still like the new one most, but I like their older stuff a lot, too.
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline dezo

• ex Defence Against the Dark Arts
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 09:47:10 pm »
Dethklok made me listen to some old stuff like Cannibal Corpse and such.
'90s dark/death is awesome =)

Offline Banshee

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 11:27:48 pm »
Death metal sucks :-D, (well, early CC isn'ť that bad  >:D)

but, try Vader

Offline slippy0

• ┐('~`ï¼›)┌
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 11:32:52 pm »

but, try Vader
Note of advice, coming into a metal thread to state "death metal sucks" then suggest a death metal band isn't exactly the most sensible thing.

Anyways, try Scarve.
See why Massachusetts rocks? We have Slippy <.<

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 11:49:33 pm »

but, try Vader
Note of advice, coming into a metal thread to state "death metal sucks" then suggest a death metal band isn't exactly the most sensible thing.

Anyways, try Scarve.

Especially when nobody knows who you are...

If you're at all interested in doom metal, there are some good bands there, too.

I didn't notice that you wanted death metal, so there's always Opeth if you haven't tried them yet. They're one of my favorites.
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 04:35:00 am »
Vader is more thrash than death these days.

The new Hypocrisy album is out now if you are looking for death. Its more like the older death days of the band and less melodic death or at least that has been my impression so far after five or so listens. If you don't mind a little bit more eccentric death I'd recommend The Project Hate MCMXCIX if you don't already listen to them and Insomnium if you like melodic death.

I can pretty much recommend anything on my lastfm profile regardless of genre: http://www.last.fm/user/Ankle0000/
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Offline Chronologix

• SiteDeveloper
  • I am Canadian!
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 05:17:11 am »
I still like Kalmah, what's wrong with Kalmah?! D:

and Insomnium!

Offline megashroom°

• Things!
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 04:53:55 pm »
Currently listening to the new Nile album Those Whom The Gods Detest. That's some quality and really heavy Death Mehtuls. \,,/

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 06:55:25 pm »
Currently listening to the new Nile album Those Whom The Gods Detest. That's some quality and really heavy Death Mehtuls. \,,/

I second that motion. Nile is pretty awesome.

Offline Banshee

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 12:59:55 am »

Vader is really pretty thrash... then there are mayhem covers they did... :) , i suggested Vader because of vocals, since the founder was looking for guttural singing, not just guttural utter shit :-D

i should said most of DM sucks :), it's just too pop, especially the melodic, famous and -core (i know, not death metal technically, but many fans of deathcore thinks theyre metal :-D) ones...

//anyway, someone who's into really extreme music (metal)? :-D

Offline Sirix

• Self proclaimed forum Villain
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2009, 03:55:43 am »
Dethklok made me listen to some old stuff like Cannibal Corpse and such.
'90s dark/death is awesome =)

Man, I like everything about Cannibal Corpse except the vocals.

Like I said, it sounds like someone is throwing up.
That's what I like about Dethklok. I realize they are probably more on the "pop death metal" side of things, but Nathan Explosion's (or you know, Brendon Small's) vocals sounds power and guttural, but not like... vomit?

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 06:33:43 am »
Check out Gojira, Despised Icon, Veil Of Maya, Periphery, Born Of Osiris, After The Burial, and ofcourse As Blood Runs Black, August Burns Red, Parkway Drive and all those

Offline slippy0

• ┐('~`ï¼›)┌
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2009, 08:24:58 pm »

Vader is really pretty thrash... then there are mayhem covers they did... :) , i suggested Vader because of vocals, since the founder was looking for guttural singing, not just guttural utter shit :-D

i should said most of DM sucks :), it's just too pop, especially the melodic, famous and -core (i know, not death metal technically, but many fans of deathcore thinks theyre metal :-D) ones...

//anyway, someone who's into really extreme music (metal)? :-D
Yeah that's totally fair, it was just hard to tell where you were coming from.

I mean, I disagree on the Death Metal thing, but whatever, not important.
See why Massachusetts rocks? We have Slippy <.<

Offline Gazus

• Trackers @t Work
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2009, 04:30:11 am »
Gojira and Scarve have been said...

Then, try Hacride, Klone (not realy death, more like... give it a try, you'll see). Also Mistaken Element, Psykup, Sybreed...

Black Bomb A... but it's not death at all.

Yes, all are French bands (except Sybreed). So what ? ;D
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 02:55:46 pm by Gazus »
OMFG LEGO Machinae !

klegak age at 18 isthe shit poh oh oah happy newyear