Author Topic: It's Snowing...well in Virginia  (Read 8148 times)

Offline Crimzen

• Sending You Positive Energy!
    • Sleeping Awake
It's Snowing...well in Virginia
« on: December 19, 2009, 08:44:23 pm »
Normally in Virginia I'd love for it to snow. Not have some kind of mushy slurpee slush like we normally get. Or the ice that makes it look like you can drive but you can't. So everyone seemed to wish for a white Christmas this year and we got it. And we're still getting it.

But I really now hate the snow. As much as I loved going out today and running around it it, building snowmen to destroy, and making perverted snow angels. I was stuck in a truck on the side of the road for 8 freaking hours because of the snow. So now it makes it less enjoyable. But the good news is for being snowed in I can play video games and finally catch up on the MaSu forum =]

Smeagol

Re: It's Snowing...well in Virginia
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 09:16:01 pm »
I couldn't get to work at all yesterday because of the snow here, which was up to a foot in places in town. Needless to say, my manager was dead impressed, because she's throughly petty for one, and for two, there was so little snow in London as to make my claim seem made up.

Offline Crimzen

• Sending You Positive Energy!
    • Sleeping Awake
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 09:33:48 pm »
Dang! I didn't have to go to work today. Even people in the city were impressed, because they rarely get stuff that sticks.

We're up to about 2 feet here. But I do get to kick back at home and play Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne while listening to MaSu. x]

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 10:53:40 pm »
We've got some snow here, but not that much that keeps you from getting around. It is freezingly cold, however.

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 11:58:25 pm »
It was freezing yesterday, today it's a little warmer, but to make up for that we're supposed to get around a foot, and in places up to 15".
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline ~futilite~

• I have the [Sticky Lizard's Socks of Coolness] :)
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 04:52:02 am »
We also have snow and it's around -10°C here.
I love the snow^^ it is not very high, so I didn't have problems to get anywhere.
:)

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 09:13:11 am »
Today it's a fucking libzard i just got from dinrking andi thehell out tehere!!! be xcareful

Smeagol

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2009, 12:00:13 pm »
Did you trade your fingers for a round or something?

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009, 12:38:07 pm »
They're probably just frozen stiff, Fiindil.

How societies outside of Scandinavia (and also Russia, Canada and Alaska) break down once they get a bit of snowfall, I will never understand. It's just a matter of dressing a bit better and making sure your car has decent winter tires. And that's not even required - in the army, I drove around in a car with all-year terrain tires, which we were told were pretty much like using winter tires in the summer, and summer tires in the winter (they were pretty decent terrain tires, though). Admittedly, I did drive off the road once.

Obviously, if you're living in California, snow might prove a problem. But anywhere were the temperature is expected to drop below zero once in a while over the course of winter? What's up?
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

Smeagol

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2009, 12:52:59 pm »
Put it this way. Everyone knew days in advance there would be heavy snowfall. I don't know who's responsible for gritting the roads (I suspect the local council), but they decided to not bother gritting outside of the bus depot in Hemel, therefore cancelling every single bus all day, they managed to not clear the traintracks, thus causing most everyone to be incapable of getting into work if they weren't based locally, and oh yeah, most of the roads were just covered in ice, causing roads to be gridlocked, moving at a top speed of 5 MPH.

This happens every single time there is snow. You would have thought the country as a whole, for it is not just locally, might have learnt a fuckin' lesson or two.

Offline Laser.T

• 日本人ですか?
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2009, 02:26:12 pm »
Yeah, every time there's snow in Britain it brings the whole place to a standstill.
It happens every fricking year! Why are we never prepared for it?!

Its been snowing in the north of Japan but there's nothing in my part near Tokyo yet :(

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2009, 03:48:25 pm »
Alright, i've got three parties, on a motherfucking sunday. But i am unable to make it to them because of this god damn blizzard.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUU- Wait, i bought 2 bottles of whiskey for presents.

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Armoured Tanks of Mass Destruction
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2009, 07:06:49 pm »
We're having an unusual (for Stockholm) amount of snow right now. I like, because the compulsory snow shock (that is the day or two it takes to mobilize the plowing) was just over when I got here.
Let's just hope it stays for christmas (knock on wood).
"Actually, wooden stakes are for vampires. Wooden steaks are for vegetarians."

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2009, 08:21:13 pm »
We're having an unusual (for Stockholm) amount of snow right now. I like, because the compulsory snow shock (that is the day or two it takes to mobilize the plowing) was just over when I got here.
Let's just hope it stays for christmas (knock on wood).

I'm glad we're not the only ones that have a snow shock period. :P

We've got about 8" now and it's supposed to keep on for a few more hours. It's only about -6 thankfully, so shoveling is actually enjoyable. The roads aren't too bad, as the plows were going all night, so all in all this is an enjoyable first-snowfall-of-the-month. Now hopefully it either keeps coming or the temperature drops so it sticks around long enough for X-mas.

Edit: I just realized ECB and I wished for the same thing, :D
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 08:25:19 pm by Harvey Danger »
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Smeagol

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2009, 08:48:01 pm »
Apparently it's -33C in some parts of Germany, and in Poland, people are freezing to death overnight. What the hell world.